Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 9:25 AM
Editing townies
So, do you guys like to edit townies in-game? Like, with Master Controller? I dunno, I've just recently started thinking about doing it, but I've had some hesitations. One of the main reasons being is that I'll feel bad, haha. It's like I'm wiping out EA's hard work and doing my own thing. I guess that how the game's supposed to roll. I am also quite scared I might totally change their face. I want to keep aspects of their facial features, but make them look better. Time is also in my mind. It takes me close to 1-2 hours just to make one sim (30 mins on a good day). Imagine changing up the whole town!

What do you think? Do you change townies in-game? Any tips? Do you know anyone who does good townie makeovers?

I hope I'm not over-reacting, haha .
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by empressofskies
It's like I'm wiping out EA's hard work

EA's what?

I do this all the time in fact. As soon as I see something that annoys me about. I know what you mean by changing the whole "who they are supposed to be" But, changing their hairstyle, clothes, and even maybe skin tones in some cases..won't hurt much. Depending on what YOU want to keep from EA's excellent taste, that is.
It is all up to you. Personally, I might let some annoyances pass, as I am not planning on "using" this or that sim. But I might want to improve..an interesting one that I consider having some potential for my controlable sims.
Dunno about you but..a blond sim with very dark skin tone I...well..sun tan is not even funny at that point.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#3 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 10:26 AM
Yes, all the time. I don't really modify their bodies or otherwise their physical appearance, but things like hair, make-up and definitely their clothes. Especially townies who live in Twinbrook.

But right now, I have a really annoying glitch where the townies who I have changed, change back to their former outfits.. Just the clothes, not the hair or make-up. I changed the babysitters clothes into this really cute jumpsuit and the next day when she came back she was in her ugly purple turtleneck shirt and jeans. And she was so happy when first saw the outfit. Weird and really annoying.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by miarell
(...)
But right now, I have a really annoying glitch where the townies who I have changed, change back to their former outfits.. Just the clothes, not the hair or make-up. I changed the babysitters clothes into this really cute jumpsuit and the next day when she came back she was in her ugly purple turtleneck shirt and jeans. And she was so happy when first saw the outfit. Weird and really annoying.
This might be because they have actually two outfits that are the same initially, an everyday and a career outfit and editing their everyday will not automatically change their career and vice versa.

-------

But back on topic, I rarely change the townies' genetics, unless I really feel the need to do it, but I change their outfits and hairstyles quite often. But I mainly do this because I want to be able to distinguish them from each other, so while I may change their outfits I usually keep the colours and patterns they had initially.
Scholar
#5 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 11:19 AM
I used to do it, if I had a boss or co-worker on my lot, just used MC's Edit in CAS and changed their faces, decreased head size and such. But after a while I stopped because it was too troublesome to do it.

C-A
Theorist
#6 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 2:12 PM
I generally don't change any EA-made sims if they were hand made by a human, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Usually that would be the residents and a few of the homeless townies. I know some people laugh at the idea, but I feel like somebody put some work into their faces and outfits, even if I don't exactly care for the EA artists' work, I leave them alone. It's kind of silly, sure. I've changed a few now and then, but most of the time, I just make my own sims. I like the contrast in the town between mine and theirs. Besides, it's fun to have my sims make the EA sims miserable by getting them in trouble with their spouses and feeding them lots of cake at parties.

I loathe computer-generated sims. If they MUST exist in my town because they're service NPCs or something, they're getting total makeovers, which means totally new face and body too.

Resident wet blanket.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 5:42 AM
I like to play townies a lot. The townies I play get made over, particularly adult and elder sims. I have a game in Moonlight Falls where I'm "de-supernaturalizing" the town (I like the town, I like the townies, I don't want the SN). That was kind of fun, making the Van Goulds be Van Gould-y without being vamps.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 3:31 PM
I love playing the EA premades. They're all I play ^.^ I only edit their hairstyles, clothes and make up. I don't like messing with anything else because I don't want them to lose what makes them them.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 11:12 PM
I tend to make over the townies in terms of hair and clothing. I'll leave their genetics alone (unless they're so hideous that I can't stand looking at them). The pudding NPC service sims, especially, get makeovers, because I hate having them in my game.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 11:42 PM
I use Master Controller to put Sims into CAS to change hair and clothing. Whether or not I change facial features depends on how awful they look. I always change the facial features of most of the Sims in Twinbrook.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 11:43 PM
I like to leave the townies alone, because it makes my game more realistic. In real life, there's always going to be people who wear clothes you don't like or do things you don't think should be legal. In real life, you can't give your neighbors instant plastic surgery just by clicking on them. For the same reason, I don't make any drastic changes to sims who were born in-game.

Hey, cool! I'm a lab assistant now!

May your plumbob glow ever green.
Alchemist
#12 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Krinci
In real life, you can't give your neighbors instant plastic surgery just by clicking on them.

But deep down you really want to, don't you?