Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#226 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 4:15 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 14th Feb 2012 at 7:28 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MarcusSims91
Didnt know I needed pets for this.
Is it possible to play without pets?

It might or might not work. I'm not really sure. The only way to know is to download it and see if it installs. There's probably about a 50/50 chance of it working.

Work won't start on the church until all of the terrain around the little city is completed. That terrain will probably not be done until, at the very best , Saturday or early Sunday. Though this date may seem quite a far ways away for that terrain I don't plan to start sculpting until late Friday. I'll have more time to devote to it over the weekend. Far more than I have over the weekdays . This section of terrain will cover about the same amount of space as 3 Reyes downtowns, so it'll be a nice little chunk of land. It'll consist mostly of very slight hills and a low, yet rugged , coastline. There will only be one lot on this section of terrain , a lighthouse that's been converted over to a bar. This lighthouse will be modeled off of some little brown and beige light station located someplace around San Francisco bay .

Until Friday I'll be working on finishing and fixing lots. By fixing I am finding and repairing building errors. Unlevel floors, crooked wall, stairs that don't work, and other unfortunate building mistakes all fall in to this category. If I'm able to finish up one interior per day , most , if not all,of downtown's commercial properties will probably have interiors within a week or two. My idea a day or two ago was to finish what was built , then put out another BETA. Once I started building, I decided that it would be best to just try to finish the whole town instead of just throwing another test version out with a few updates.

Here is a full list of a partially built commercial buildings downtown

town hall - hotel - school - group A of connected building - group b of connected buildings - section 2 of boardwalk - library

finished list

fire station - pet/consignment store - police and army office - laundry place - gym - hospital

places that will be built - I'm also pointing out where they will be built.

criminal wharehouse, fish wharf - LN movie job, fish wharf - church, beside green victorian building - park, beside library

I just want to keep things organized. If anyone wants a better idea about where the fish wharf will be located it's marked on a post a page or two back.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#227 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 1:51 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#228 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:10 AM
Well, I haven't really been following my one lot a day plan. Instead, I've been trying to get it to a point at which everything downtown can be built without having to move some trees or rework some land. I have also been looking for spots that were put together simply too fast. Such areas oftentimes look nice ,but have some underlying problem . In some parts of downtown Reyes, once it's finished I'm going to call downtown the village of Carlyle , I found spots where there was nonroutable paint under lots. I 'm currently working on fixing this. After doing a little research, google images, I'm pretty sure that those funny trees, the ones used throughout reyes, do not come in redish-brown. They look to come in all sorts of browns- mud browns, dry browns, pale browns, yellow browns,... - but never in the shade EA put them in. Since I 've recolored a few of EA's plants in the past ,I decided to do the same here. Is this an okay color palette for them , or do I need to rework my colors. pics

that blue house is a starter- 16,500

overview

Remember, I do plan to make a custom distant terrain . That's why the map just kinda ends.
Alchemist
#229 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 1:15 PM
I think the ''new'' trees look very realistic and fit very well in Reyes

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#230 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 2:53 PM
It's so funny to me that when you started this world I really wasn't attracted to it because of the brown nature of the world. I'm usually attracted to the lush worlds, like Seacrest, but this is fast becoming my favorite work in progress. I can't wait to play it someday (soon!).

Don't get me wrong, I'm still just as excited for Seacrest, but this world and the charm of it's houses/lots is just too great!

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Mad Poster
#231 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 6:37 AM
Looking great! How much of the surrounding terrain will sims be able to walk on?

Anyways, it reminds me a lot of the old concept art for Sunset Valley.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#232 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 7:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Looking great! How much of the surrounding terrain will sims be able to walk on?

Anyways, it reminds me a lot of the old concept art for Sunset Valley.

I'm currently only painting steep areas with non routing paint . This might change as the world progresses, but since more than two quarters of the terrain is done very few to no changes will be made to most of the routing that has already been placed. I'm probably being a tad overly optimistic on my amount of world terrain completion. The routing paint that I mentioned in the previous post was placed two months ago when there was nothing but EA's default green in the area that the town takes up. I placed the paint so no sims would spawn ,at the time, out in the middle of nowhere.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#233 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:33 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 19th Feb 2012 at 4:38 AM.
a little progress

edit

I did a little more work on the light station.

Top Secret Researcher
#234 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 6:20 AM
Yay! Finally! Another Update!

Overall it looks great and complements the scenery quite well, but the only thing I would suggest is pretty obvious but try making the square floor at the top floor where the light would be a regular octagon.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#235 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 10:19 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 19th Feb 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Riptide651
Yay! Finally! Another Update!

Overall it looks great and complements the scenery quite well, but the only thing I would suggest is pretty obvious but try making the square floor at the top floor where the light would be a regular octagon.

I think we'll just stick to the square layout for that lighthouse.

Another newish beach house. Does it look okay?

I've also got one little question. Do you all want the upcoming expansion pack , showtime, to be included in this world ? I'm asking this because if I decide to update it to showtime there would be numerous adjustments made around the town. The new objects- billiard tables, stages, photo booths ,and so on -would be used in lots all over the town. The main area that would feel these changes is the fishing wharf area. Though I haven't even begun building this section yet , it is ,nonetheless, the area that would feel the most changes. My current plan involves just building two or three rotting warehouses to put a bar and the criminal career in . With showtime , the bar would go away and would be replaced by a large stage placed within a equally large well-worn ware house. Other changes would also happen. On the boardwalk space would be made for both the bull ride and the photo booth. Many of the large newer houses would get billiard rooms.

If you think it's good to include sht click agree , and if you don't just hit disagree. - very simple as long as you're logged in
Field Researcher
#236 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 5:11 AM
I like the beach house, however i think you have too many pillars... just sayin...
and ya i think that you should include the new pack in this world buddy, i pre-ordered it! HAHA

RylandHomes - Dorian Lard
dodgy builder
#237 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:52 AM
I like the lighthouse, but that column on the roof bugs me, may just be because I know it's a column. It's suppose to be a chimney? One of them is above the balcony, do they have a chimney there?

The beach house looks a bit off to me, but some people just have off houses don't they
Scholar
#238 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
The beach house looks a bit off to me...

Actually, what I think it needs is more deck. In that last pic, where it steps back on the right, it should have gone straight across. It's a fairly grand home on a large plot of land, with (I'm assuming) a view. There would be a large outdoor area for entertaining to put that view to good use.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#239 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 5:16 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 20th Feb 2012 at 5:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I like the lighthouse, but that column on the roof bugs me, may just be because I know it's a column. It's suppose to be a chimney? One of them is above the balcony, do they have a chimney there?

The beach house looks a bit off to me, but some people just have off houses don't they

That lighthouse was mostly based off of this building. Those white columns are part of the wood decoration. Here's a picture that shows them.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...ght-station.jpg

I guess that green house might look a little off , but it's probably just due to it's size. This town needs a few big houses.

Quote: Originally posted by RylandHomes
I like the beach house, however i think you have too many pillars... just sayin...
and ya i think that you should include the new pack in this world buddy, i pre-ordered it! HAHA

Is this number of pillars better? I took out about half of them.

It's nice to know that you preordered showtime.

Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
Actually, what I think it needs is more deck. In that last pic, where it steps back on the right, it should have gone straight across. It's a fairly grand home on a large plot of land, with (I'm assuming) a view. There would be a large outdoor area for entertaining to put that view to good use.

That decks probably already large enough. There also another side deck on the right side of the house. This pic should show it's size a little better. The black spots have been added just to make it easier to see the grid/blocks. They were taken off after I took this picture.

If ,at some point, I make the deck larger I'll put stairs down to a lower tier.

Here's a picture that shows the view.

Well, it looks like the majority of people want showtime in this world. If something doesn't make any sense in this post just blame it on me being sleepy. I only got out of bed about 20 minutes ago.
Instructor
#240 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 3:13 PM
Wow, that's a beautiful house!

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#241 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 10:06 PM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 21st Feb 2012 at 10:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by [ The Architect ]
I found this picture of a house from Bay View, Michigan, and thought it would look awesome in Reyes, so I figured I'd share it with you (:

That's a nice looking house and I've got just the spot for it. Well, actually that spot hasn't quite been painted yet ,but once it is this'll be going there.

There won't be much in the way of updates for the next two weeks because I have a few school related things that will take up most ,if not all, of my usual free time.
Field Researcher
#242 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 4:47 AM
I would suggest that you take even more pillars out, but it looks better now, closer to a realistic look. I wouldn't worry about it. lol if a storm comes through that house ain't going no where! HAHA
Good Job! :D

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#243 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 6:29 AM Last edited by Ouerbacker : 25th Feb 2012 at 8:27 AM.
I would suggest that you take even more pillars out, but it looks better now, closer to a realistic look. I wouldn't worry about it. lol if a storm comes through that house ain't going no where! HAHA
Good Job! :D

Does this porch look better?

and pictures of new terrain.

I'm sorry for being so slow with this update
Field Researcher
#244 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 7:51 AM
The new terrain looks great! :D

I just remembered you showed pictures of a desert like world... how is that coming along?

Lab Assistant
#245 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 12:53 PM
The sculpting is amazing on that second to last pic. It looks real.

Come Check out New York City!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#246 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 5:18 PM
Thanks Ryland and Daniel

The new terrain looks great! :D

I just remembered you showed pictures of a desert like world... how is that coming along?

Unfortunately , I just let that desert world die.

Time to move on to something just a little more positive. Does this tree recolor look okay? Should I add a little bit more of a yellow tint too it?

Also, here's an overview shot that shows how much on map terrain is left.

The stick-out the furthest to the right will be done up in a way similar to stinson beach. On the section to the left of that there'll be a vineyard. Everything else is still up in the air, so we'll see how it comes out.
Scholar
#247 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 6:56 PM
Wow, it's looking amazing, Ouer! I love how you used the Bodega Bay schoolhouse - I'm going to have to recreate The Birds with Reyes County now xD Just a quick question; will we be getting a new beta anytime soon? Keep up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Retired
retired moderator
#248 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 7:04 PM
This is looking completely, absolutely stunning Ouerbacker. Your terrain paint reminds me an awful lot of Graham Sydney paintings: http://www.grahamesydney.co.nz/pain...awkduns/?h=hide

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Scholar
#249 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Qahne
Wow, it's looking amazing, Ouer! I love how you used the Bodega Bay schoolhouse - I'm going to have to recreate The Birds with Reyes County now xD

Ha, I didn't catch that! It would be awesome to have an elusive Hitchcock sim in Reyes, making appearances here and there. You could give him a five-star celebrity rating.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Instructor
#250 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 1:29 AM
I've probably said this before, but I adore your terrain sculpting and painting techniques! So realistic. Can't wait to see how the vineyard turns out! Here in NZ a lot of vineyards host music festivals - would be cool to try to recreate that in TS3.
Page 10 of 31