Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 8:36 PM
Unless you're actively planning on taking screenshots, the NPC houses don't have to be overly detailed inside; a nice exterior will suffice. Doing this has a number of advantages if you're populating an empty neighborhood:
- the house's lower value will make it more affordable to sims, encouraging them to move and start families (as opposed to staying in their family homes, where there may not be enough beds)
- you will be able to build more houses in a shorter time frame, therefore leaving more time to play.

As for the bigger houses, nitromon's posts are spot on. Shang Simla also has the palace near the waterfall with a lot of empty space, though I don't remember how many rooms there are.

Don Babilon is right too: in real life the boxy layout is preferred as it's easier to work with. Houses with nonconventional layouts are mostly reserved for rich folk.

You can also devote certain rooms to decorations only, or leave them entirely empty if you don't know what to do with them, or if your PC can't handle lots of objects. Routing is also a concern when building, as sims need more space to route than would be considered normal e.g. leading to the dreaded "route down the stairs to pick up toddler" failure, even if visually there's enough space. There's a part in LGR's video review of Dragon Valley where he still gets the "Not enough space" error when trying to fly the dragon...in an empty field

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 20th Aug 2017 at 10:15 PM
I do many houses as mostly for show exteriors in worlds I do as I will never play them. I don't bother to decorate to the hilt a house I will probably never see again. I do enough to fake it so the outside looks like a lived in house and add some minimal furnishings so the game will add sims. I concentrate on the house my family lives in and community lots.
Scholar
#28 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 9:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I do many houses as mostly for show exteriors in worlds I do as I will never play them. I don't bother to decorate to the hilt a house I will probably never see again. I do enough to fake it so the outside looks like a lived in house and add some minimal furnishings so the game will add sims. I concentrate on the house my family lives in and community lots.

That's what I do when I build a one-for-all house in a world to populate with my own made sims.
Make it look simple, but with the main rooms, the vital furnishing... maybe a TV and couch, if I have money for them to spare as starters.
Then save that and plunk it down over and over, with a different name, to have others move into them.

But I generally don't build large houses. I don't even like anything with more than one story.
I dunno, I just don't like Sims wasting time going up/down stairs to get to something.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 21st Aug 2017 at 6:41 PM
I am terrible at building houses, too. I save pre-made houses that I like from the different worlds and just use them, as well as using houses that I can download from MTS.
Page 2 of 2