Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 2:37 AM Last edited by Elynda : 25th Jul 2015 at 10:42 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Computer not working on home lot (Solved)
I just ran across an odd little problem whilst playing a new game in Riverview. It is the the first time I've played in this town, having just downloaded it. I purchased a computer, placed it on a desk and clicked on it to start writing a novel. The interaction just kept cancelling. It was the same for all the other computer interactions. I tried using other computers, with the same results. I moved the desk, bought other desks, tried it on different tables and surfaces but still got the same results. Then I checked out the computers in the library and they're working fine. I also took the computer I'd bought over to the fire station and it worked fine there. I tried using master controller to reset the computer, and then the whole lot. Still no joy. I haven't recently installed any mods that might have caused this, and I haven't had this problem in any other town. What is going on here?

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 4:27 AM
I can offer up a few things you might want to try: Go into edit town in build mode and see if there are any hidden markers in there. They're not always visible but I've found them on lots I was having problems with. Also check the mailbox to see if you have something in there such as omni seeds or some other unusual object. Check in MC>Object Stats for 2 person jigs and flush them. The mailbox items if there are any can be flushed as well. The only other thing I can to suggest is move your sim out and bulldoze the lot or move to another lot seeing the computer works in other environments.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 5:02 AM Last edited by Elynda : 19th Jun 2015 at 5:48 AM. Reason: more imformation
nitomon: no, I haven't tried different rooms, though I have tried moving the desk to other parts of the room. The lot in question, by the way, is the one called Standard Poodle. The desk is in the living room on the ground floor which is quite spacious. This problem seems to be similar to one I had I while back, where the bed interactions wouldn't work. I haven't tried resetting the sim either but, when I reset the lot my sim was at the fire station and was instantly transported home. Does that count as resetting a sim?

barbarat: I shall check all that out next time I use that lot. Meantime, I have moved my sim to another lot, and the computer is working fine there. There must be something specific about that one lot that is causing it. I know that occasionally saves can become corrupted, and that seemed to be the case when it was the beds not working, since moving the family to a new game seemed to fix it. But since I have only just installed Riverview I was worried that the whole download might be corrupted.

Anyway, thank you both for your help and advice.

EDIT: Well, there didn't seem to be anything unusual about that lot. But I think I might have identified a likely culprit for the corruption. Before I got the computer I was using Buzzler's Scribbling Pad and, although that has worked fine in the past, it now seems to be behaving very oddly. You put it on the desk, click on it to write or work on your writing skill, sim sits down, then stands up picks up the pad, carries it across to another table, sits down and then is suddenly transported back over to the desk chair. Then he is wrenched back to where he left the pad whilst being stretched and contorted in a very alarming fashion. I have had that mod for some time now, and I think it is due for an upgrade.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Scholar
#5 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 7:49 PM
Quote:
EDIT: Well, there didn't seem to be anything unusual about that lot. But I think I might have identified a likely culprit for the corruption. Before I got the computer I was using Buzzler's Scribbling Pad and, although that has worked fine in the past, it now seems to be behaving very oddly. You put it on the desk, click on it to write or work on your writing skill, sim sits down, then stands up picks up the pad, carries it across to another table, sits down and then is suddenly transported back over to the desk chair. Then he is wrenched back to where he left the pad whilst being stretched and contorted in a very alarming fashion. I have had that mod for some time now, and I think it is due for an upgrade.

I hit this problem with such strange behavior when sim was using mentioned by you pad also some of computers. It shows repeatelly when:

1. scribbling place (desk+chair) was placed with moveon cheat's help or/and
2. when there was anything placed on the table except left slot - for unknown reason "scribbling pad" did not like using any other slot on the desk

this problem with pad was passed to any desk/table on the lot IF the "buggy one" was used 1st and the lot was not resetted after encountering error.

replacing desk* (just moving did not help) with a new, decluttering decor** on it was removing the problem at all.

"Why" - I don't know.

*on some desks this script does not work anyway. Again - don't ask me "why" please
**using OMSP for decor works, there's something wrong with default slots I suppouse

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Jun 2015 at 9:06 PM
Elaine Nualla:

I think that must be it. I never had trouble with this mod before, evidently something has changed about my set up. It occurred to me though that the Scribbling Pad seems to use the same animations as children and teens use when they do their homework, they even grumble about doing it the way teens do. I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever had an adult sim use the thing. Maybe it has always been faulty and I just never noticed.

Scholar
#7 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 10:49 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 20th Jun 2015 at 11:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
Elaine Nualla:

I think that must be it. I never had trouble with this mod before, evidently something has changed about my set up. It occurred to me though that the Scribbling Pad seems to use the same animations as children and teens use when they do their homework, they even grumble about doing it the way teens do. I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever had an adult sim use the thing. Maybe it has always been faulty and I just never noticed.

yes this is exactly the same animations but unfortunatelly there's no the same code for finding "a place to write". Kids and teens when fails to find a proper place just sits down and does their job. When sim uses a scribbling pad and cannot find a proper place - just resets and mess is starting. I have no idea why this "infects" other "scribabble places" and computers on the lot.
I've find no solution for this than mentioned above - selecting working desk and decluttering it (or placing objects only on OMSPs). 'Till someone script-wise decompile sources and look closer into - it's just as it is.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 1:20 AM
ElaineNualla:

I had considered dumping the Scribbling Pad mod, but since it works fine for the kids and teens, it can stay. Adults can still use the thing, if I either click on it in the sims inventory, or place it on the floor, provided there is an uncluttered surface for them to use - they seem happy enough to use the dining table. Once again, thanks for your post, which have been helpful and interesting.