Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 5:16 AM
Default Whats your phobia ?
Do any of you simmers have a phobia i have didaskaleinophobia

If any of you want to know what this is i have made a website explaining what this is (Since its not as well known as most other phobias)

> Didaskaleinophobia <

i hope some of you read it since i spent ages making it
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 6:11 AM
I don't mean to belittle you or be rude, but my first thought was that you were being tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure that there are many children who would want to claim Didaskaleinophobia, not to imply that your case is anything other than genuine.
Alchemist
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 7:36 AM
Arachnophobia and... umm... insectophobia (if there is such a thing). I hate hate hate hate... hate insects!!!!

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Inventor
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 11:05 AM
I have a phobia of hospitals. My illnesses have required a lot of hospital stays and with that, a few emergency admissions. I'm a fairly anxious person anyway, and I don't cope well with losing control of my surroundings & personal space, and I don't like being touched. On top of that I have had some horror experiences - I am hypersensitive to touch and I was admitted a couple of years ago with severe cellulitis. The nurses and doctors couldn't get IV access so held me to a bed while I screamed in agony. I've had doctors lie to me - sometimes with life-threatening implications for me. I could go on for a long time. Upshot is that I get terribly anxious in hospital - I've had several panic attacks, I rarely settle and it's pretty horrible

Becca - I'm sorry about your phobia, but really like the site. Very informative

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Banned
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 12:44 PM Last edited by TUN3R : 17th Mar 2011 at 1:54 PM.
A few:

Shallow water. Deep water is fine especially if it's clear.
Ice and snow, I hate them.
Fish.
Insects.
Rats.
Clowns, tho I've never seen one.

That's about it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
I don't mean to belittle you or be rude, but my first thought was that you were being tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure that there are many children who would want to claim Didaskaleinophobia, not to imply that your case is anything other than genuine.

haha its fine, most children do, but i do have it, becuase my dad died i feared my mum would die aswell, i usually push people away because i feel like if i get close to them they willl die, i hate being away from my mum, i worry 24/7
Hate leaving my mum = scared of going to school since i couldnt be away from her, the struggles she had in the morning to get me to school, its not like i DIDNT want to go, i did i just physicly couldnt get out the car and in the school doors. id get up the the morning, get ready, ect. but as soon as my mum pulled up at the school that was it, my stomach would start getting baddddd pains and id cry and just couldnt do it, ive had 2 teachers and my mum trying to drag me out the car before, i have to admit that was funny..

Thanks longears, your fear of hospitals must really suck x

haha the creeper, same Bugs are ahhh i scream when i see them
Forum Resident
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:04 PM
- Definately deep water, or if I'm in large open water, swimming pools are fine though!
- Massive heights
- Hospitals too

Im sure there are others too...

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Field Researcher
#8 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:04 PM Last edited by unalisaa : 22nd Feb 2011 at 4:35 PM.
- spiders
- snakes
- very small rooms
- very dark alleyways
- massive heights
- more than 3 metres of deep water
- knives, especially bayonettes
- large numbers of people
- ice, especially when on stairs, but the kind in my coke at fast food restaurants really bothers me, too.
- sharks

One S, two As.
Inventor
#9 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:29 PM
Water and plane flights.. mostly. Also I'm not very fond of walking in the dark at late nights.

By all means, I love heights and spiders My scare of snakes is over since I've held about 3-4 snakes these last years.
Banned
#10 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 3:36 PM
Oh yeah I forgot hospitals.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 9:43 PM
Arghhh spiders!! hospitals arent a problem for me haha
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 9:57 PM
iibeccax - I've heard of that before but hadn't heard the name (that is one long name!). Do you go to school or are you homeschooled? I imagine that would get a bit lonely. Do you have any kind of help with it, like therapy?

I have emetophobia (a fear of vomiting) and agoraphobia (NOT a fear of open spaces as is commonly misunderstood, but a fear of panicking in a situation from which escape is not easy). They control a very large portion of my life and they suck. I used to be arachnophobic when I was a child but that one dissipated on its own.

This isn't aimed at anyone here because obviously I don't know everyone's circumstances, but something that really bugs me is when people call a regular fear a phobia. Phobias are extreme and intense, they are irrational, and they are completely out of proportion with the actual threat they pose. Just being scared of something isn't the same as having a phobia!
Inventor
#13 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
This isn't aimed at anyone here because obviously I don't know everyone's circumstances, but something that really bugs me is when people call a regular fear a phobia. Phobias are extreme and intense, they are irrational, and they are completely out of proportion with the actual threat they pose. Just being scared of something isn't the same as having a phobia!
Yes, I've noticed this too, particularly with regard to hospitals. Like you - this is not aimed at anyone here - a lot of people have a fear of hospitals which is understandable, but a phobia as you say goes beyond that. The mere thought of having to go into hospital can make me physically ill - I shake, I sweat, I vomit, I have anxiety attacks...that's what phobia does to you that fear doesn't...

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Alchemist
#14 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 10:35 PM
I used to have agorophobia, demophobia and socialphobia (Which is not a very good combination!) However, a few years of counselling has helped reduce these phobias by quite a lot. I still sometimes freak that everyone is staring at me, and I don't cope well with loud noises and flashing lights, but at least I can leave my house now.

I've got a phobia of spiders too. I can't even look at one. Ugh.
Alchemist
#15 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 10:47 PM
i dont really know the long-and-complicated words for them, but i have a fear of...
*spiders
*vomiting (i have forced myself to pass out to avoid being conscious for vomiting in the past)
*heights
*getting fat/becoming overweight (for my body type)
*stray/loose dogs

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 11:17 PM
iibeccax - I've heard of that before but hadn't heard the name (that is one long name!). Do you go to school or are you homeschooled? I imagine that would get a bit lonely. Do you have any kind of help with it, like therapy?

I have emetophobia (a fear of vomiting) and agoraphobia (NOT a fear of open spaces as is commonly misunderstood, but a fear of panicking in a situation from which escape is not easy). They control a very large portion of my life and they suck. I used to be arachnophobic when I was a child but that one dissipated on its own.

haha weird, my sister has emetophobia and agoraphobia!!, and no im not getting any help, ive had to deal with it myself, since i live in a different county to my school. and i go to special ed now, its only 3 days a week and i have a work placement on thursdays and fridays, havent started work yet . im glad im getting better now, i mean its only taken 5 years, yano.
Scholar
#17 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 11:28 PM
I don't know whether I have any phobias. I sometimes freak out at spiders, but I've been told that humans as a species actually have a genetic predisposition to fear of spiders, so fearing them wouldn't exactly be out of the ordinary. For me, that fear is extended to most 'hairy'-looking insects. The most common sort of caterpillar around here is fine because I've handled it so much, but I once had a big, brown, furry, long insect (maybe a centipede or a woolly bear) land on my shoulder when I walked under a basement door frame and I freaked out. I didn't want to touch it, but I also wanted it off of me, so I shook my shoulder to try to throw it off. I finally threw it, but I was shuddering for a little bit after that. I think, if I had encountered the same insect in a lab setting, it wouldn't have phased me at all, but the fact that it was under uncontrolled circumstances and very much by surprise really threw me.

I also tend to begin to panic when I get in a situation in which I feel like my breathing is restricted (crowded car, excessive heat, restrictive clothing, etc.), but I've never had a full-blown panic attack and, again, I think this is pretty normal. Breathing is kind of important to life, so I think that those of our ancestors who didn't feel it necessary to continue to do so probably died out long ago.

Oh, okay, one strange one. I don't know if this is a phobia, or simply a type of hypersensitivity (though not of the allergy sort ), but I cringe and shudder when I hear metal scraping against teeth. And, of course, one of my brothers occasionally does it just to get on my nerves.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 12:42 AM
longears15 - With your health problems I am really, really not surprised that you feel that way about hospitals. Your post is exactly my point, it goes way way waaaay beyond just not liking something, it is complete and utter terror whenever you are exposed to whatever it is you are phobic about. I mean, if I ever came face to face with a tiger I'm sure I'd freeze, cry and then wet myself. Doesn't mean I have a phobia of them though!

For example, if I ever start feeling sick I completely panic. My heart races, my breathing rate increases, I feel even more sick because anxiety affects digestion, and I get this overwhelming feeling of dread. The worst panic attack I had, I was gagging and my hands went into spasm. It's horrible. I also have avoidance behaviours: I don't drink alcohol, won't take medication that has nausea/sickness as a side-effect, won't eat meat when I go out for dinner (which doesn't happen often due to my agoraphobia), won't be anywhere near ill people, to name a few. This is all totally out of proportion to the threat that being sick actually poses, and is completely irrational because the last time I was sick I remember saying that it wasn't that bad.

iibeccax - Ah I'm glad you're doing better and that you do get out for schooling

Oaktree - I know what you mean about the scraping. My mum says it "sets your teeth on edge"! Generally, I think that if you had a phobia you would know about it. Like you say, the things that scare you probably scare most people because they are something to be worried about! But you are right that there are certain stimuli that humans seem to be naturally more predisposed to be fearful of, like heights and the dark. This happens even though there are much more dangerous things out there. Cars are pretty dangerous but people don't have this innate fear of them as they do with the dark!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 12:58 AM
iibeccax - Ah I'm glad you're doing better and that you do get out for schooling

hehe me to going to look and apply for collages soon x
Inventor
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 4:44 AM
I just looked up my phobia, was surprised it actually had a name xD I find it quite absurd, but I am insanely terrified of worms. Apparantly it's called Scoleciphobia, heh.
If you look up the wiki page and see the pic of that kid who looks like he's having a heart attack over jelly candy worms, that's pretty much me. xD
Test Subject
#21 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 9:22 AM
Hi guys I have a phobia for any place/room that is too quite, I don't know, I just have to sleep with my tv on..
Inventor
#22 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 9:53 AM
My sister finds it strange but I have recently started hating lifts (elevators). I don't mind the ones you can look out of, but the enclosed ones scare me.

I also have a phobia of spiders. Hate them.
Sounds strange but I used to have a phobia of Knees. Don't ask. I cured it myself by playing a online game where you give a simulated character knee surgery.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 1:16 PM
haha Zela ive plated that game!! loveeeeeeeeeeee it its so funny haha
Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 3:04 PM
I've had a phobia of taxidermy since early childhood - I can't be in the same room with a taxidermied animal. I almost blacked out when I saw those elephants in the Museum of Natural History in NY. Recently I went into an antique shop that had animal heads all around the walls. I had to quickly turn and leave. My friend came out and asked me what was wrong and I felt really stupid, but I told her to take her time in the shop and I'd go get coffee. Fortunately I don't stumble on stuffed real animals that often and I can avoid the places where I know they are.
Banned
#25 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
I can't stand spiders. I don't mean those with thin legs but for example cross spiders. Fortunately I live in a rather cold climate so there are no tarantulas.

I can't stand those with very thin, long legs. Unfortunately, I live in a cold climate, so there are no tarantulas, which I actually like, but plenty of those I am afraid of.
Page 1 of 13