Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 1:05 PM Last edited by Khaibit : 7th Dec 2006 at 1:11 PM.
You explained why 2 systems are needed without getting technical, thank you

I *thought* I'd understand your explanation and wanted to use a thumbs2 link for a pic uploaded in here, a direct image upload should be displayed in the same thread for testing (the PM trouble thread by Wes) but the link the image uses is a thums only- link I noticed. As the link (url) itself is managed by the server, is there a way to affect this and change a direct image to the thumbs2 way?

Obviously I need the bonus 'technically challenged' explanation to use the improvement... only fiddeling in the image-url doesn't work :D

EDIT:
I just noticed that the link changed after a while automatically to thumbs2 so I guess it's a case of *problem fixed* :D

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#27 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 1:29 PM
The system is semi-intelligent. Becuase it does not construct the image url on upload, but only on first viewing, what happens is that at first you'll see the references to getimage.php, and then when you click on that, and view the full image and then go back again you'll see it's changed to a more static link.

I realise it's a bit confusing, and it's on my list of things to change with regards the upload form itself to make it easier to insert attached images into the post.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Instructor
#28 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
The system is semi-intelligent.

Mine too :D

Thanks, now everything is clear to me - and before you improve the image insertion the upload-preview should be improved first - after reading your explanation images are absolutely easy to handle as your report about the improvement is the complicated part of it :D

The ModFather
retired moderator
#29 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 3:25 PM
Now, imagine if every single image on the entire site had to go through the first method. What you'd get is basically the entire database server dying under the load, me pulling my hair out, and people complaining the site was slow.

So, you mean that I'm using a method (calling the getimage.php instead of linking directly to the image) that stresses the servers... -

Quote:
Instead, once an image has been uploaded and the static link generated...

That was the problem that forced me to use the getimage method... The "static" links are static until you don't move the thumbs on a different servers
Every now and then, I still find tutorials with missing in-line images, due to the last thumbs server change...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#30 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 3:58 PM
Ach, this is the reason for missing pictures?

I think this principle of getimage.php is even for me easier to understand so it would make sense to use it at least for downloads that you can move the files as you want. I can be wrong but this doesn't really sound like a 'clever solution' to me, more like a semi-finished thinking-trial to handle the fiddling progress... :p

Field Researcher
#31 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 7:49 PM
Thanks to Numenor and Delphy, Now I understand and appreciate the help. Keep up the good work. cheers.

PS. What is this getimage.php that everyone is talking about?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#32 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 9:28 PM
Khaibit, the thumbs system moves extremely rarely, so everybody should technically link via thumbs2 now.

Instructor
#33 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 10:51 PM Last edited by Khaibit : 8th Dec 2006 at 7:50 AM.
Ha! Now I made it to reduce the possible reasons for understanding troubles down to 2: either you do understand exactly how I mean it but answer in a way which lets me just think that you didn't understand what I tried to express in English (which means you perfectly pull my leg)
or you're just one of the 690 mio. humans who just cannot process this kind of comments - and as I've read the one or another post from you: I don't think so, Tim

Ergo: my poor English let me think wrongly, in fact everything is fine - right? You just ignore it and answer serious, don't ya?

Edit: *blind*

Poundingheart,

just take a look at the images Papa Smurf aka Numenor displays e.g. in his downloads, their url is shown with this getimage.php included so they are linked by their own unique file id instead of the place they are located. So even if the place they are stored changes they are still picked up by their id, whereever they are.
I mysef think a clever solution would be a mix of the getimage.php principle and the thumbs2 advantages to get always appearing resource saving images - am I wrong or does it work exactly this way? (just linked another pic and it seems like) If so: hey, clever solution!

Lab Assistant
#34 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 2:59 AM
Other small changes today include the ability to show avatars in thanks posts, the re-activation of the check to see if you have already thanked a thread, and numerous small bug fixes and tweaks.

Wonderful! Thank you for implementing these changes!

Seriously.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#35 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 8:55 AM
Khaibit,

It already does work the way you described - as a mix.

Instructor
#36 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 9:05 AM Last edited by Khaibit : 8th Dec 2006 at 9:21 AM.
Also as a mix of the 2 reasons I thought of? Would be a mix^2... so not just a clever but even a complicated solution

What about the language support factor on the Wiki as you say in the posting guidlines
Quote:
Use correct English.
I'd have to be banned because of using incorrect English...

Edit to Numenor's post bekow: this shows not just the difference between a Numenor-explanation and Khaibit-bubbeling but proves that I'd have to be banned because of incorrect English - I meant something like that, I mean I wanted to say it somehow :D

The ModFather
retired moderator
#37 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 9:08 AM
Poundingheart - The "getimage.php" is a function that dynamically searches for the image whenever the image is displayed.
As Delphy explained, an extensive usage of this function would put an excessive load on the thumbs servers.
I myself will stop using the "getimage" method for my posts; I will only use it for tutorials, because they are threads that "live" longer than a normal download or help thread.
Now that Delphy has explained how it works, I understand that anyone should use the getimage function the least possible.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
#38 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 9:27 AM Last edited by pixelhate : 8th Dec 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Oprah
And good to see "already thanked" is back, now I just need a large "you forgot to thank, you idiot" button for me :D

Same for me! shame on me !
Is there a way to know how many Dwlds I've made and how many thanks I've made (miss) ?

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Field Researcher
#39 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 11:07 AM
thanks for answering my question. I understand better now.
cheers
Mad Poster
#40 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pixelhate
Same for me! shame on me !
Is there a way to know how many Dwlds I've made and how many thanks I've made (miss) ?

I've thanked people more than I've downloaded.

Sometimes, when I see something looking good but just something I know I'm unlikely to use, then I just give a thank alone. For almost every download, I do thank since the thank option emerged.

:D
Instructor
#41 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 8:02 PM
Pix,
maybe checking the Downlads-section completely?

Niol,
maybe you should take some more looks into the Download section, too You may even download :p

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 9:20 PM
Other small changes today include the ability to show avatars in thanks posts, the re-activation of the check to see if you have already thanked a thread, and numerous small bug fixes and tweaks.

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH DELPHY ^_______________^

My wishes had been fulfilled, thank you !
Test Subject
#43 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 2:21 AM
Thank you so much, Delphy! I've not been able to see the thumbnails for months, and it's been so inconvenient! Thank you!
Instructor
#44 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 4:01 AM
Thank you, Delphy, I like that you can see avatars in thanks posts now.
Page 2 of 2