Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#301 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 7:29 PM
kewpie -- that was my thought as well. Get one sim to max writing and most every other skill should be unlockable (and a lot easier). If I'd had a male mailcarrier I would have moved him in and waited for a female (or male if he liked men) sim to move him out with -- as it is I called for maid services twice and I've now got a male-female couple who have moved out to their own house right next door to my own sims, so hopefully Davin and Mimi's children will have someone other than siblings/imaginary friends to play with.

wolfsbayne -- sorry to hear that you've got poor health at the moment

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#302 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 7:58 PM
Keep in mind that the consignment store sells skill books, too. Though they aren't all available at one time, they are usually at considerable discount. Because I unlocked that lot first, I ended up getting all the skill books I needed there, except the toddler ones, before I unlocked the bookstore.
And when you have a level 10 sculptor (required to unlock the lot), you can bring in a good 30k a day selling sculptures through the consignment store, as well as getting better prices for your paintings and whatever else you can sell through the register. It also provides an NPC cashier you can befriend/move in/marry.
I'm not saying unlocking the bookstore first is a bad strategy, just that it's not the only strategy.
Lab Assistant
#303 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:29 PM
I agree with Cali. I got the consignment store quite late but wish I had gotten it much earlier. Combine it with the right rewards and you can make a fortune. Also, instead of a bookstore you could get a library with all the books available to read for free instead of having to buy the bookstore and having to buy the books as well.

katya - thanks. I have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME so my health is always bad unfortunately, im not able to work at all and if I didnt do something like play the sims then I wouldn't be doing much at all due to no energy - something, anything, has got to be better than nothing! lol
Scholar
#304 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 10:00 PM
I considered the consignment shop, but I'm experimenting with tiny lots as I do this challenge. I have my sim on a 10 x 10 lot and There isn't enough room for a sculpting bench without getting in everyones way. This is the strangest house I've ever made too. I have two loners that love outdoors and the lot is microscopic. My house looks like an odd pagoda thing that is several stories tall with tiny rooms for the bathrooms and whoohoo privacy, but everything else is out in the open but fenced in so the sims can enjoy privacy and the great outdoors.

My plan is to have two kids each generation. One kid stays in the old house and the other kid makes a new house. The new house will be the main house I play in and the old houses will become NPC families. The lots are going to start out tiny and get bigger each generation. This isn't part of the official challenge. It's just that I badly suck at house building and I thought tiny lots would make me more creative with space.

--

BTW.. I just thought of another serious advantage of the consignment shop early on. Free NPC for your sims to socialize with. And they are at that shop all day long so are easy to socialize with. Unlike the mail carriers who are easy to miss if you sleep at the wrong time.
Lab Assistant
#305 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 10:18 PM
Im useless at building and my community lots are awful. Ive been downloading what I can especially as im using quite a small world and want smaller lots where possible but im really bad. I usually forget to add the roof or paint the outside or things like that and only notice when travelling around the world, thankfully ive had an architect who has been able to fix my mistakes!

This time i've had a legacy house but it has made it too easy. From the end of the first generation I had the best of everything, well decorated, etc so they're getting points too quickly and earning rewards which is good but making it too easy to the point of nearly boring. So next time, im going to have each heir move out and start from scratch again and see what kind of difference that makes.
Scholar
#306 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 10:24 PM
@Wolfsbayne, you wrote exactly how I am about building. I never thought about doing that for a regular legacy -- changing houses just to get in better practice. I usually buy the giant lot and then my house keeps sprawling until it's HUGE and then the sims take forever to get anywhere. And still even though it's outrageously huge, they are still crowded and getting route failures. I'm using this challenge to break all my bad habits.
Lab Assistant
#307 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:34 AM
I notice that a lot of people are having trouble meeting new Sims in their worlds and trying to figure out what to do. Well, When I started this, my Sim could only meet the paper girl, which was not useful (the mail carrier was invisible the first few weeks). Even still, they became friends right away, and he invited her over to visit, and I selected "invite household" thinking maybe the game gave NPCs families?? No, I got my pick of the whole NPC bin. So, is it okay to invite NPCs over like this? I didn't actually invite these people over, because it felt cheaty. However, when my sim became good friends with the Paparazzi who liked to hang out in his yard, he invited him to move in, and I got the option to move in a 3-person household. I decided what-the-heck and did that. My original sim still had to marry the pizza lady, though, which was really hard because she turned out to be insane and kept saying no (she was so good at hiding it when they were just dating!). I also noticed that it is really easy for sims to become celebrities in the beginning, especially if you have them sleep on the lawn. The Paparazzi will just stand there and photograph a sleeping sim all night long.
Test Subject
#308 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:30 AM
I started mine over from scratch. I am getting the same crashes now and it won't move past a certain time. I'm saved right up to the crash so I haven't a clue what to do about it. I wonder if it is the family or a pre-patch glitch that won't be fixed without starting over.

I'm going to use the same founder and see where it goes. So far he has met the mail carrier a guy, and the paparazzi. He has a love interest but she never stays in one place long enough to ask her to go steady, the option never comes up in the romance menu and we've been at this for 3 sim days now. One of the other paps. gets mad when ever they do romantic stuff, but she is considered a single sim, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Brandon will still unlock the grocery store, and someone he moves in will unlock the consignment store. So far he is at level 7 gardening but has a long way to go before earning enough money to buy it.

Previous NIF made it to second gen all becoming YA

Lots unlocked then were

Grocery Store (Brandon)
Equestrian Center (Cristina)
Science Lot (Nelson)
Art Gallery (Noel)
Hospital (Hunter)
Graveyard (Jennifer, Rider's wife)
Junkyard (Rider)

Lots nearly unlocked were

School (Gabriela, level 10 logic, level 8 Charisma
Bookstore (Star, Hunter's IF made real, level 8 writing)
Military Base (Gavin, level 9 Athletic, Level 8 Logic)

Mathews Random Legacy (current Legacy)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#309 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbody872
One of the other paps. gets mad when ever they do romantic stuff, but she is considered a single sim, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Sims classified as 'Romantic Interests' will get jealous, and yet they'll claim to be single.
Scholar
#310 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 5:46 AM
She may be romantic interests with the other NPC. Which could cause the jealousy issue.

I have an update!

Ch. 9 - Dive of Good http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...va-of-good.html

Damian's adorable, Ellie's adorable, Diva's adorable... everybody is adorable! Oh and maybe one paragraph that is relevant to a major future plot line. Just saying.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Inconceivable!
#311 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 5:59 AM
Hey all! I've officially given up on trying to read all thirteen pages before posting, lol. Too. Many. Words.

I think I'm going to start this tonight. I am having some issues with my computer that I wanted to work out before I began this challenge (or a random legacy), but I swear I have zero patience. I couldn't wait any longer, it looks like far too much fun. So, before I begin, is there anything I need to know that I missed by just reading the rules and the first page of posts?

@Teal- I thought I read that you were playing in Finnington. Are you having any routing issues? I heard that some people were experiencing problems with one of the bridges, but I'd love to play there... if it works.

Edit: Cece! &*%@# I can't believe you are on chapter 9 already! Girl, I swear one of these days your keyboard is going to break from all that typing! You put me and my abandoned blog to shame, lol.
Instructor
#312 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 6:23 AM
Yeah, I'm playing Finnington, but I haven't experienced any routing issues... Yet. Touch wood. I'm not sure which bridge, but there may be a chance I just haven't had anyone go across it yet.
Scholar
#313 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Buckley
Edit: Cece! &*%@# I can't believe you are on chapter 9 already! Girl, I swear one of these days your keyboard is going to break from all that typing! You put me and my abandoned blog to shame, lol.

My Mac is my only laptop that has managed to last through my typing. My last laptop had a couple of the keys falling out and a missing space bar. You should've seen the calluses that developed on my thumbs after that. Friggin keyboards.

I can't wait to read your story once you start. And I expect another random legacy as well...

Instructor
#314 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:01 AM
I just looked it up and apparently Pets may be the problem for the routing issues on the bridge, so that could be why I haven't come across anything, my old old computer cant handle the awesomeness.
Forum Resident
#315 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:09 AM
Gah now you all make me want to start this challenge too >.>

Official Foundation Challange Contestant. R1-R2-R3-R4

BLOGGER A Random Legacy - Vasher
Field Researcher
#316 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:36 AM
I want to start this challenge, too, it sounds really fun. I don't want to start a new neighborhood until after I install Pets, though, and I don't want to start Pets until I get to Gen 2 of my random legacy because I'm terrified of glitches. Of course at this rate there will be probably two expansions after Pets for me to install by the time I get to it. xD Oh well, I'm having fun reading about everyone else's towns in the meantime.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#317 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Buckley
So, before I begin, is there anything I need to know that I missed by just reading the rules and the first page of posts?

To actually play the challenge? Not really. I haven't tweaked any rules since my last update. There may be things you'd want to know, like strategy discussions, and everyone talking about what they're doing. But all the things you need to know should be in the current ruleset.
Alchemist
#318 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 1:14 PM
More progress and pictures:

Avalikia, I have a question about parks and playground equipment. Obviously any park fully outfitted with a bunch of playground stuff will be a big park you have to pay for, but can a small park have a hopscotch court? I'd like more clarification about what is allowed. Thanks!
Forum Resident
#319 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolfsbayne
I agree with Cali. I got the consignment store quite late but wish I had gotten it much earlier. Combine it with the right rewards and you can make a fortune. Also, instead of a bookstore you could get a library with all the books available to read for free instead of having to buy the bookstore and having to buy the books as well.

I think I'm leaning towards the consignment store being my second lot to unlock -- I chose the bookstore over the library for the reason that I can buy the recipe books, fishing journals, and sheet music for all the instruments (which I've never seen in the consignment store nor the library). Minor things, I know, but it'll help me towards some potential future LTWs.

Progress update: So far Davin has gotten to level 8 writing skill and is earning ~$1k a week in royalties (he's also gotten some cooking skill, but that's irrelevant to what I've got planned). Mimi has been working on random skills (logic, gardening, handiness), but I'm aiming to get her to start skilling sculpting in order to unlock the consignment store. They have twin babies, a girl called Leah (Athletic, Brave) and a boy called Julian (Genius, Loves the Outdoors) who both got imaginary friends in the mail.

Their neighbours, Kylie and Ramon are doing okay -- they've been put together, split up, and re-made as a couple by story progression, and currently have one son, Locke, Kylie is pregnant again, and they've also got four cats (every other day I got a pop-up saying they'd adopted a new kitten).

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Scholar
#320 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 9:48 PM
This is really serious. I found out what happens when you have no mausoleum and your sim dies off lot. He doesn't die! He just stands still as a ghost and the reaper never comes. He never leaves the family. I had to reset him and he came back to life at the first day of elderhood. I had to use a cheat to kill him. And now he has no grave and I think everything in his inventory went with him.

I am not going to use the mausoleum as a sim -- no managing the dead or getting a graveyard job but I am most certainly going to put one in the game even though I haven't bought it. It looks like things can get really really screwed up without one.
Alchemist
#321 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 10:00 PM
Kewpie, that happened to me one time in a town that did have a mausoleum, so what happened to you might just be a glitch and not related to not having a mausoleum in town.
Scholar
#322 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 10:25 PM
I have to concur with Cali. I had the same glitch in my very first attempt at the random legacy and eventually ended the game early because I couldn't bear to say goodbye to my elders if I had to lose their ghost as well.

Scholar
#323 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 10:34 PM
That's kind of a relief. I thought it was because he died at his bookstore and there was no place to put him. I like collecting the ghosts but I think I'll be ok without him. In TS2, I think there was a way to get a lost grave through the family tree. Is that possible in TS3? Or is he gone for good? It's not a big thing...

Oh btw, I have:

Bookstore - founder DONE
Military Base - his wife - DONE (and she's on level 6 of the job track now. She's an athletic workaholic, so it was easy)
Police Department - his oldest son 1/3 done
Oldest son's wife - consignment shop 1/2 done
Grocery Store - youngest son 3/5 done
Scholar
#324 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 10:38 PM
So Ginger is at 94 days of age and Sunday noon just passed. She got a cool $36,000 in royalities from all her novels and two masterpieces. <3 I love her so much right now. I've got 60k/114k for that Science laboratory now.

Lab Assistant
#325 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 10:52 PM
Well ive suddenly got the not being able to interact with baby in crib glitch back all of a sudden - not impressed. Hoping it's a one off as have no idea what's caused it this time.
Page 13 of 39