Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2016 at 12:06 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Save errorr - Mothe!#%!$#@ Code 12
Hey Guys....
So people, I know this has been discussed a lot, but I really need help, and what is completely discouraging me from playing the game, that F%$#@r error of code 12, I already tried to do all those things to delete the folder. Bad, I tried to boost the RAM, I already tried to use some codes in Cmd, I really tried a lot and nothing solves. I even tried to install the Nrass mod the "Saver" but the first attempt already gave the error, I clear the cache, I already used that program to see the files of conflicting mods, I have deleted Library files for the game to be Lighter, but nothing, nothing works, I'm posting this now, because now I've sending this game to Hell, I always save in short periods of time, and now that, doesn't work anymore.

So, does anyone please have some other solution, some that really worked?

What makes me even more discouraged is that this error is not recent, it is as old as the game and it seems that no one has yet a definitive solution. I really like The sims, I have many families in the city, and they are families that I play since the first expansion, somebody please help me with this stupid error.

Thank you in advance, and I'm sorry for the outburst.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Dec 2016 at 1:53 AM
No, we can't give you a definite solution but we do know the cause. Error12 means your game is out of resources (usually it's usable RAM) and does not have enough to negotiate the save. Now why your game keeps running out of resources may be tricky to determine. It shouldn't be impossible.

PC or Mac?

Can we see the first 40 lines or so of your DeviceConfig.log in your user game folder in Documents, please, preferably under spoiler tags?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Dec 2016 at 3:27 AM
Its a PC... Here it is...
=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3092 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4123 RAM: 8174 Adjusted RAM: 8174 Colors: 4
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
OS major view: 5
OS minor see: 1
OS SP major see: 3
OS SP minor see: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Family: 6
Model: 10
Colors: 4
HT: 0
X64: 0
Memory: 8174MB
Free memory: 6547MB
User: Lucas Cortez
Computer: LUCAS-LSC
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0de0, Board: 14413842, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 21.21.13.7306, GUID: D7B71E3E-4EA0-11CF-7847-4C341BC2D835
Driver version: 7306

My computer is great for playing The sims, in fact I do not have any problems while I'm playing, none at all, I play with everything at maximum, and I never had a problem to run the game, my only problem is the Error of code 12. I also searched and saw that this error is related to RAM, which makes everything stupid, because if my pc has enough memory to run the entire game with the expansions, mods and items of the store and with graphics at Maximum, but do not have enough memory to save it? Besides if the problem was related to my RAM, I would have this problem and others sooner.

Its a Totally mistery to me...

And I am asking if there is another thing that I should try to fix this, besides evrything That I already did.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Dec 2016 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
There is no solution, it is simply the limitation of the game and it gets worse the larger your world and the older your save and the more mods you have.

If you really want to keep that family, the only thing you can do is save them into the household bin and start a new game.

Yeah I already have done that.. Is there another thing that I should try?
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Dec 2016 at 5:43 AM Last edited by igazor : 13th Dec 2016 at 7:49 AM.
I would like to clarify what I said earlier. Yes, being short on total RAM on your system can trigger Error 12s, but that's clearly not an issue in your case. It's the game that is short on RAM or other resources relative to what it needs to proceed and save, as @Nitromon said it can only utilize just over 3.5 GB (some can push it over 3.6 but it's difficult to see microsecond spikes above that if they happen) before losing its mind. Therefore the resources may be there but they are not usable to the game.

Although some might think such is an exercise in futility, there are still lots of things you can try to salvage your game. Some like SaveCleaner or the equivalent have already been mentioned. Overly burdened scrapbook memories can cause bloat, NRaas MasterController can get rid of those and there is a game option to disallow further ones. MC's Demographics can also be used to check your world's total resident population, it might have become higher than the game engine can handle. Overwatch and ErrorTrap can smooth some things out by getting rid of in-game errors and cleaning up useless invisible data, Register to tame the Role and Service Sims managers, Traffic to control vehicular overload. A MasterController Reset Everything run from City Hall can be a big help, I run one every 6-8 sim weeks or so. Here is a more complete list.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+Fo...ame+Performance

But to know what it is you are trying to work towards, you would want to check your game's RAM usage with Task Manager at the beginning, once the game and any mods have loaded up and the game clock starts moving smoothly forward. If the game usage is starting out somewhere much above 3 GB before things really get going in a game session, chances are that session is not going to go or end well. If it starts at 2.6 or below, depending on the world, that's better though its usage will increase as stuff happens. Your ongoing game is going to be more delicate than a new one or one that's only a couple of generations old for reasons that Nitromon also stated, really EA did not do a very good job of protecting long running games so that they can keep going forever. But it's not always impossible to do with the right tools.

And yet sometimes, more often after a large number of generations have passed, the best path is to gather up the sims you care about and move them to a new world anyway. Or use NRaas Porter or Traveler to accomplish something similar. Just for sanity's sake. You indicated that you have already done this, but how long ago in sim time and just to clarify is it the newer world that is also acting up this way now?

And I will add in here that your graphics card is not strong enough to run an ongoing game that has already become delicate on the highest graphics settings. That's likely not the critical factor here, but it can't be helping to stress it out that much as doing so may well cause the call for more RAM.

Edit: Mentioned in the link above, but some obvious ways to help reduce RAM usage and game stress include forgoing the online features of the game and playing not logged in (at the Launcher level or in-game), turning off the in-game Build/Buy EA Store "shopping" experience, switching off the hidden object startup game. If you run NRaas StoryProgression, turn its speed down to one of the two slower ones.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Dec 2016 at 11:34 PM
From your deviceconfig, your RAM is sufficient. But this is unavoidable. TS3 is a 32-bit program and caps around 3.4~3.5 gB of RAM. When it exceeds that threshold, there's some memory leak so even if you can get it back down to 3.2 gB, it is already too late.

Others will disagree but I don't think this is EA's fault. Why? Because if the game is played without any mods or CCs, this problem is rare and probably never happens. It is because we use mods etc... pushing the game beyond the design limit, forcing it that high that is why it is becoming more often.

However, even so it is unavoidable as your sim games become older and older. Eventually I was guaranteed to get it after 30 mins of playing, so I opted to start a new game.

Here's a few things from my own research.
- using testingcheatsenabled worsen this. It has been confirmed by a few others, but it is still speculative. If you do not use this cheat, it keeps the memory usage down

- from my own game, it seems the largest memory usage is from the extensive family tree of all the sims in the game. So technically, if your concern is saving the world, you can save down every lot you modified or created into the bin. Then start a new version of the world, replace the lots, then save it. Then keep a copy of this as a source copy of the world. Then you can start new games with new sims, but have your world preserved.

- If your concern is saving your sims, it should be ok to save them into your bin and then plotting them back into a new world or even a source world above. If your game is old, you have to remember that every townie in your town has a extensive family tree, even the sims you do no play. So in theory, ... you can use awesome mod or NRAAS MC and "delete" all the npcs and residents that you don't want, thus eliminating their family tree. This might lightening up your game and reduce the chance of error 12.

- And of course, use Kuree's Savegame Cleaner periodically to keep your game clean. Also, using NRAAS MC, go into object stats to see what is in your world. You might have a bug where there are 20,000 diplomas, etc...

- Oh also, awesome mod has a command called "fix all" which should be used periodically to fix minor issues in the game that might cause problems. I don't actually use awesome mod regularly, it is great but it reduces the performance of my game and I already have a lot of heavy NRAAS mods. However, I keep a copy of it and every now and then I would put it in use to use this command. The last time I used it was 2 days ago. My Oasis Landing was becoming completely glitched out, laggy, and even freezes in the middle of playing that I had to close it without saving. What finally drove me nuts is that I hit error 12 for the 1st time ever playing in this world which should never happen b/c this isn't a homeworld, so the game is not that bloated. I used the "fix all" command and it showed over 1000 sims having some minor problem that were corrected. After that, the game is running stable again.

--

but as I've said, error 12 is inevitable. Sims games have a lifecyle of maybe 10-20 generations before the game gets too bloated and you get high risks of this error.

Yeah, thank you very much for explaining me better, really, but the problem of my old sims is not that I go through many generations, because what I really like to do is to increase their life expectancy, I practically put on a long life abd I put the bars of each phase of life to the maximum, I do not know if it's the same thing.

I use the Nrass cleaning mods and I see the difference, but the one that made me angry about it is that it's simply what you just said, it's inevitable, and at some point this error is going to happen, there are several Ways to avoid it, but I do not think there is a way for when it occurs, to overcome it.

I like to explore the different cities that exist, I always save the families with their certain houses, when there are, in the library of the game, to change of city whenever I want.

I have already created a new city, the same city in fact, and I am modifying it to look like the city I was playing, the lots, putting my families and other things on it.

But I did not understand very well what you said when you got the error, that you used the "fix it all" command, did it work? So you managed to save afterwards?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I would like to clarify what I said earlier. Yes, being short on total RAM on your system can trigger Error 12s, but that's clearly not an issue in your case. It's the game that is short on RAM or other resources relative to what it needs to proceed and save, as @Nitromon said it can only utilize just over 3.5 GB (some can push it over 3.6 but it's difficult to see microsecond spikes above that if they happen) before losing its mind. Therefore the resources may be there but they are not usable to the game.

Although some might think such is an exercise in futility, there are still lots of things you can try to salvage your game. Some like SaveCleaner or the equivalent have already been mentioned. Overly burdened scrapbook memories can cause bloat, NRaas MasterController can get rid of those and there is a game option to disallow further ones. MC's Demographics can also be used to check your world's total resident population, it might have become higher than the game engine can handle. Overwatch and ErrorTrap can smooth some things out by getting rid of in-game errors and cleaning up useless invisible data, Register to tame the Role and Service Sims managers, Traffic to control vehicular overload. A MasterController Reset Everything run from City Hall can be a big help, I run one every 6-8 sim weeks or so. Here is a more complete list.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+Fo...ame+Performance

But to know what it is you are trying to work towards, you would want to check your game's RAM usage with Task Manager at the beginning, once the game and any mods have loaded up and the game clock starts moving smoothly forward. If the game usage is starting out somewhere much above 3 GB before things really get going in a game session, chances are that session is not going to go or end well. If it starts at 2.6 or below, depending on the world, that's better though its usage will increase as stuff happens. Your ongoing game is going to be more delicate than a new one or one that's only a couple of generations old for reasons that Nitromon also stated, really EA did not do a very good job of protecting long running games so that they can keep going forever. But it's not always impossible to do with the right tools.

And yet sometimes, more often after a large number of generations have passed, the best path is to gather up the sims you care about and move them to a new world anyway. Or use NRaas Porter or Traveler to accomplish something similar. Just for sanity's sake. You indicated that you have already done this, but how long ago in sim time and just to clarify is it the newer world that is also acting up this way now?

And I will add in here that your graphics card is not strong enough to run an ongoing game that has already become delicate on the highest graphics settings. That's likely not the critical factor here, but it can't be helping to stress it out that much as doing so may well cause the call for more RAM.

Edit: Mentioned in the link above, but some obvious ways to help reduce RAM usage and game stress include forgoing the online features of the game and playing not logged in (at the Launcher level or in-game), turning off the in-game Build/Buy EA Store "shopping" experience, switching off the hidden object startup game. If you run NRaas StoryProgression, turn its speed down to one of the two slower ones.

Many thanks for replying, and I have some questions
I started a new city, I created and I am modifying it, putting lots and families in to this new citym trying to look more like the one I had the error of code 12. I already use and love Nrass mods, mainly Overwatch and MC, which really makes a big difference in the game, and I have some questions about some mods that I did not get a very good experience, I do not know if I used them wrong but anyway.
You mentioned Traveler, I love the idea of Traveler, but I did not get to play with it, because when I traveled to another city, a city that technically was not possible to travel, like Sunset Valley, the game was incredibly slow and very heavy. I do not know why, if my world was already starting to be defective or if it is necessary a mod configuration, one that is adaptable for my game, but I would like to know, now that I have created a new city, if I can use Traveler, to change my sims from city or simply to travel on vacations, I would like the idea of having related sims living in different cities, like when the sim knows someone from China, France or Egypt.
And I would like to know, the best way to use the Mod ErrorTrap and the Saver, from nrass, I know I had are great mods but I had a bad experience with them haha, but now that I'm in a new city, I want to try the evrything to not receive this error again.
I still did not know about this Save Cleaner, it was great to discover this, even though I did not want to need it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 1:30 AM
Awesome mod has an inline command called "fixall" which fixes a lot of sims minor errors. But alas, no, it is just another cleaning and won't really be helpful "after" it occured.

In the event that you did run into error 12, there are few tricks, but they're not very effective... they "rarely" work.
1) zoom out into city view or zoom into a plain grass area, it lowers the RAM usage. Try to save
2) Go into edit town or switch household, it shuffles the RAM usage. Then try to save.
3) Put your computer to sleep or hibernate, then boot it up and try to save.

Like I've said, they rarely work, but they have worked in a couple of times.

Thanksss... I will try this options, thanks so much for you help
Mad Poster
#12 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 2:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thequesh
Many thanks for replying, and I have some questions
I started a new city, I created and I am modifying it, putting lots and families in to this new citym trying to look more like the one I had the error of code 12. I already use and love Nrass mods, mainly Overwatch and MC, which really makes a big difference in the game, and I have some questions about some mods that I did not get a very good experience, I do not know if I used them wrong but anyway.
You mentioned Traveler, I love the idea of Traveler, but I did not get to play with it, because when I traveled to another city, a city that technically was not possible to travel, like Sunset Valley, the game was incredibly slow and very heavy. I do not know why, if my world was already starting to be defective or if it is necessary a mod configuration, one that is adaptable for my game, but I would like to know, now that I have created a new city, if I can use Traveler, to change my sims from city or simply to travel on vacations, I would like the idea of having related sims living in different cities, like when the sim knows someone from China, France or Egypt.
And I would like to know, the best way to use the Mod ErrorTrap and the Saver, from nrass, I know I had are great mods but I had a bad experience with them haha, but now that I'm in a new city, I want to try the evrything to not receive this error again.
I still did not know about this Save Cleaner, it was great to discover this, even though I did not want to need it.

ErrorTrap: Has no in-game commands associated with it. You just put it in your Mods\Packages folder and it starts working. There are ways to adjust its operations with tuning files, but for the vast majority of players this is not necessary. If/when it starts kicking up script errors that you would like some help with interpreting, those can be uploaded to us at NRaas and we can help you with that over there.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload
(free membership required to upload and open up a support thread)

Saver: This is basically an alarm clock type reminder that it's time to do a Save As and it suggests a file name using your settings. There really isn't much that can go wrong with it and you don't have to save when it tells you to. What sort of trouble did you have with it? I wouldn't use Saver together with AwesomeMod, by the way, since Awesome has its own auto-save mechanism.

Traveler: Most players do not have trouble traveling or moving to foreign worlds using this mod, but it does work together with Overwatch (which you already have) and ErrorTrap (which apparently you do not) to help make the experience less painful. The procedures for using it to vacation in or move to and keep connections with these worlds are discussed here:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ

I'm afraid we don't have a magic way to recover from an Error12 that has already happened in-session either. The RAM shuffling tricks like zooming in and out on grass, etc. seem to be effective for many of us only when one was just on the edge of the RAM usage Danger Zone. For me, they work maybe around 5% of the time (if that) that an Error 12 strikes and even then often give me a Save that then cannot be loaded up. Usually, rare though it is that I see Error 12 anymore, i just sigh and don't even bother trying to recover.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
ErrorTrap: Has no in-game commands associated with it. You just put it in your Mods\Packages folder and it starts working. There are ways to adjust its operations with tuning files, but for the vast majority of players this is not necessary. If/when it starts kicking up script errors that you would like some help with interpreting, those can be uploaded to us at NRaas and we can help you with that over there.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload
(free membership required to upload and open up a support thread)

Saver: This is basically an alarm clock type reminder that it's time to do a Save As and it suggests a file name using your settings. There really isn't much that can go wrong with it and you don't have to save when it tells you to. What sort of trouble did you have with it? I wouldn't use Saver together with AwesomeMod, by the way, since Awesome has its own auto-save mechanism.

Traveler: Most players do not have trouble traveling or moving to foreign worlds using this mod, but it does work together with Overwatch (which you already have) and ErrorTrap (which apparently you do not) to help make the experience less painful. The procedures for using it to vacation in or move to and keep connections with these worlds are discussed here:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ

I'm afraid we don't have a magic way to recover from an Error12 that has already happened in-session either. The RAM shuffling tricks like zooming in and out on grass, etc. seem to be effective for many of us only when one was just on the edge of the RAM usage Danger Zone. For me, they work maybe around 5% of the time (if that) that an Error 12 strikes and even then often give me a Save that then cannot be loaded up. Usually, rare though it is that I see Error 12 anymore, i just sigh and don't even bother trying to recover.

I see, thanks a lot, truly

Ohh I almost forgot... lets said that I created a game in Sunset Valley, and I use the Traveler to move my sim to Moonlight Falls, after That Can I play again in the same Sunset Valley that he was from? You know If He had Family in Sunset Valley and I choice to move him again back to his city, The Mod will generate a new Sunset Valley or the Old one will still be there ?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Dec 2016 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thequesh
I see, thanks a lot, truly

Ohh I almost forgot... lets said that I created a game in Sunset Valley, and I use the Traveler to move my sim to Moonlight Falls, after That Can I play again in the same Sunset Valley that he was from? You know If He had Family in Sunset Valley and I choice to move him again back to his city, The Mod will generate a new Sunset Valley or the Old one will still be there ?

If the move from SV to MF were done properly and carefully by following all of the steps that the procedure on the FAQ page spells out (under the Switching Homeworlds section around 2/3 of the way down), you will then have both worlds connected in your game, with MF at first being the active one, and you will have several choices.
-- You can pull more sims in from SV to be permanent residents in MF.
-- You can pull sims in from SV to visit temporarily.
-- You can travel sims back to SV as you knew it on a vacation to visit those left behind. They will have been frozen in suspended animation while you were playing in MF. Whether they were aging or not in your absence would be up to how you set NRaas > Traveler > Ageless Foreign Sims on City hall while in MF.
-- You can transition active play from MF back to SV by traveling back with "no one on board" as covered in the FAQ document. You should find SV as you left it, possibly with some aging as per above, except with the sims you moved out no longer there. The game should ask you which household you want to play when you arrive.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 5:11 AM Last edited by igazor : 17th Dec 2016 at 11:34 AM.
This What follows is the least scientific piece of evidence I could possibly report, but the reason I routinely play with testingcheatsenabled on is that Twallan enabled the setting to have it switched on upon startup within Overwatch and I noticed years ago that reportedly he always played that way. I never saw a relationship between that and RAM usage but to be fair until now I never thought to look. From your testing it sounds like it's a catalyst for something happening sooner than it was going to anyway, at least sometimes, still not quite sure what or why though.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 11:31 AM
Never said it was a "scientific" piece of evidence.

You might want to read my post again. I was saying that my decision to keep TCE on at all times was not at all based on logic or reason. I was not passing any kind of judgement on your observations at all and was grateful to read them. Changed the wording a little in case that was unclear.