Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 7:37 PM
How to replace the Bohemian Garden strawberry with Douglas Veiga's custom one
This is a method to enable Douglas Veiga's Strawberry Plant mod to work with the recent Bohemian Garden store content which also has a strawberry plant.
First a teaser to show the results

Here you can see a little garden planted by my Sim a few days ago and now mature showing a mix of Base Game and Bohemian Garden plants with Douglas Veiga's Strawberry Plant in the foreground. Note that my Sim also has some DV strawberries and Strawberry Pie in her inventory and has the diving meal moodlet from just eating some pie :p

This is her shopping list from earlier in the game. You can see the Bohemian Garden produce in her shopping cart with DV's Strawberry at the bottom. You can tell it's DV's and not the BG strawberry as it is a single fruit (BG's are double) and costs more (§11 instead of §6).

Now here are the items she purchased in her inventory (the grocery store behind uses a rabbit hole rug).

So, how did I achieve this?
CAUTION. The solution requires the use of S3PE and an awareness of the risks of editing game files. We need to make some modifications to ccmerged.package which is found in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCbackup

First make a backup copy of ccmerged.package and call it something else, say ccmerged.original, just in case, as any damage to this file can result in your premium content object not working properly or at all.

If you need to, you could also use Nona's ccmerged file as a backup, found here:
http://nonasims.wordpress.com/2012/...-content-items/
It may be worth reading Nona's post for more information about ccmerged and how important it is.

Next run S3PE and load the ccmerged.package file.

You will note that there are two tags titled _XML. These are the ones we are interested in.

Select the first _XML tag by clicking on it and then right-click to bring up a pop-up menu. Click on the Notepad option to edit the data in notepad. Scroll to the bottom of the text in notepad and find the following code section:
Code:
<Data>
  <Ingredient_Key>Strawberry</Ingredient_Key>
  <Ingredient_Name>Strawberry</Ingredient_Name>
  <CodeVersion>BaseGame</CodeVersion>
  <DataVersion>BaseGame</DataVersion>
  <Rarity>Common</Rarity>
  <UiTab>Produce</UiTab>
  <Parent>Fruit</Parent>
  <Model_Name>strawberryStore</Model_Name>
  <Plant_Name>StrawberryPlant</Plant_Name>
  <Fertilizer_Value>5</Fertilizer_Value>
  <Fertilizer_Days>4</Fertilizer_Days>
  <Nectar_Value>3</Nectar_Value>
  <DrinkQuality_Min>0.005</DrinkQuality_Min>
  <DrinkQuality_Max>0.05</DrinkQuality_Max>
  <AncientNectarWeight>2</AncientNectarWeight>
  <Price>4</Price>
  <CanBuyFromStore>True</CanBuyFromStore>
  <PetSpeciesThatCanEatOffGround>Horses</PetSpeciesThatCanEatOffGround>
  <PetSpeciesThatCanEatOffPlant>Horses</PetSpeciesThatCanEatOffPlant>
  <IsMushrooms>False</IsMushrooms>
  <SpawnAtNightOnly>False</SpawnAtNightOnly>
  <IsEdible>True</IsEdible>
  <Version>0.1</Version>
 </Data>

Highlight this section of code and delete it. Take care to only delete this section of code any nothing else. Then close notepad and choose Yes to save when prompted.

On returning to S3PE it will detect that you have changed something and will prompt to commit changes, click Yes.

It will show the original _XML struck-through and a new entry below it.

Now do the same thing with the second _XML, looking for the following code section:
Code:
<PlantList>
  <PlantName>StrawberryPlant</PlantName>
  <LocalizationKeyPlantName>StrawberryPlant</LocalizationKeyPlantName>
  <LocalizationKeySeedName>StrawberryPlantSeed</LocalizationKeySeedName>
  <LocalizationKeyDescription>StrawberryPlantDescription</LocalizationKeyDescription>
  <CodeVersion>BaseGame</CodeVersion>
  <Rarity>Common</Rarity>
  <SkillPointsPlant>175</SkillPointsPlant>
  <SkillPointsHarvest>125</SkillPointsHarvest>
  <PerfThresholdAvgToGood>95</PerfThresholdAvgToGood>
  <PerfThresholdGoodToGreat>105</PerfThresholdGoodToGreat>
  <PerfBonusDrySoil>-40</PerfBonusDrySoil>
  <PerfBonusNeutralSoil>40</PerfBonusNeutralSoil>
  <PerfBonusWetSoil>90</PerfBonusWetSoil>
  <WaterDecay>3</WaterDecay>
  <WeedProblem>0.2</WeedProblem>
  <HarvestStateDurationMin>2</HarvestStateDurationMin>
  <HarvestStateDurationMax>4</HarvestStateDurationMax>
  <NumLifetimeHarvestables>20</NumLifetimeHarvestables>
  <NumHarvestablesMin>2</NumHarvestablesMin>
  <NumHarvestablesMax>4</NumHarvestablesMax>
  <MedatorName>PlantSmallVine</MedatorName>
  <Version>0.1</Version>
 </PlantList>
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 7:37 PM Last edited by sirguylittle : 2nd Apr 2014 at 7:59 PM.
Finally, close S3PE and it will prompt if you wish to save unsaved changes, click Yes

So, what have we done? Effectively this has removed the Bohemian Garden Strawberry Plant and Fruit from the game. If you have Douglas Veiga's Strawberry Plant mod installed, it will work correctly with no interference from Bohemian Garden :D

But wait, there's one more thing!
If you go into buydebug - Plant Spawners, you will find that the Bohemian Garden Strawberry Plant still exists as an autosoil.

Placing this with the DV Strawberry mod installed will place a DV Strawberry Plant, normal quality. This can be placed on both residential and community lots, just like other autosoils

PLEASE test this on a new game to your own satisfaction and NOT on your 10 generation legacy game. I have done a fair amount of testing myself and have not found any problems with this (so far).

Other things to note: If you uninstall and reinstall Bohemian Gardens Fruit and Nuts then you will need to re-apply the edits as reinstalling BG will put the original data back in. Please be careful if you subsequently install any other Premium Content objects as your backup of ccmerged will then be out-of-date.

Happy Gardening
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 8:29 PM
Thank you for this tutorial
Inventor
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 9:19 PM
Really nice tutorial, thank you for sharing.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 10:54 PM
First I want to thank you for sharing your discovery, very useful and easy to follow, especially for me. I am very inexperienced and don't understand code at all.

I do have a question, would it be better to wait until after the store released the cakes and pies from the bakery set, just to see if DV's strawberry pie would have a conflict too? Just something I thought about.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2014 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
First I want to thank you for sharing your discovery, very useful and easy to follow, especially for me. I am very inexperienced and don't understand code at all.

I do have a question, would it be better to wait until after the store released the cakes and pies from the bakery set, just to see if DV's strawberry pie would have a conflict too? Just something I thought about.

Thanks, I did think about that. I noticed that there were a number of disappointed people commenting on DV's mod when they couldn't use his strawberry anymore with BG installed so I wanted to get this out, having spent a bit of time on it, so they would know that there was a way.
I'm hoping that it will 'just work' with the new recipes from the bakery set when it comes out. Wishful thinking? It seems that the strawberry fruit from BG and DV is interchangeable as any strawberries you have in your inventory will change from one to the other depending on which you gave installed. So hopefully any new recipes requiring a BG strawberry will just use the DV one in its place. We shall soon see!
Alchemist
#7 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 7:32 AM
I'm curious if we can actually keep both plants, but I doubt it. After removing the strawberry plant entry from the XML, does strawberry plant still show up in the collection journal? Does Douglasvegia's strawberry count as collectible plant?

Just call me Nikel
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
I'm curious if we can actually keep both plants, but I doubt it. After removing the strawberry plant entry from the XML, does strawberry plant still show up in the collection journal? Does Douglasvegia's strawberry count as collectible plant?

The problem is not the plant but that you can only have one strawberry fruit. It is possible for both plants to co-exist in a game as they have slightly different names BG = StrawberryPlant DV = Strawberry Plant. When I first installed Bohemian Garden I had a game which already had DV's strawberry plants in the ground and they were still there while I still had the mod installed. But because there was only one fruit, harvesting the DV plant gave me BG strawberries and planting the fruit would give me a BG plant!

At the moment DV's strawberries are not showing in the collection journal but I am not sure why.

When I reset my ccmerged back to the unedited version, the strawberries that were collected from DV plants show up as BG strawberries, so the game is counting them.

While I can find my way around code, I am not specifically a Sims modder. I have had a look at DV's mod in S3PE but haven't found anything in particular that would explain why the strawberry doesn't show up in the collection journal.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 2:02 PM
Thank you so much for figuring this out and for the Tutorial. What a great job and it is easy to follow.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 7:34 PM Last edited by trold123123 : 4th Apr 2014 at 12:14 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by sirguylittle
The problem is not the plant but that you can only have one strawberry fruit. It is possible for both plants to co-exist in a game as they have slightly different names BG = StrawberryPlant DV = Strawberry Plant. When I first installed Bohemian Garden I had a game which already had DV's strawberry plants in the ground and they were still there while I still had the mod installed. But because there was only one fruit, harvesting the DV plant gave me BG strawberries and planting the fruit would give me a BG plant!

At the moment DV's strawberries are not showing in the collection journal but I am not sure why.

When I reset my ccmerged back to the unedited version, the strawberries that were collected from DV plants show up as BG strawberries, so the game is counting them.

While I can find my way around code, I am not specifically a Sims modder. I have had a look at DV's mod in S3PE but haven't found anything in particular that would explain why the strawberry doesn't show up in the collection journal.

I don't know if it could have anything to do with this package fil: 0xc121afdc04bd47b89e3b5444b35320ef (size 980 KB). It's to be found in your DCBackup folder after you have installed the Bohemien Garden fruit and nuts. On Nona's Sims frontpage Nona writes something about that package file. I don't know enough about code to tell, but maybe you can.

Thanks for sharing the above informations.

Edit: There are two strawberry package files besides the already mentioned in the DCBackup folder after you have installed the GB. These are 0x8cabe150cd6144b28c09ace7fe9803b6 and 0xf717a6b25d5146da929c9e30f31dd759
#11 Old 3rd Apr 2014 at 10:05 PM
Thanks for the great tutorial and for sharing that information You have helped many a Sim add delicious fruitfulness to their garden!
Alchemist
#12 Old 4th Apr 2014 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sirguylittle

Thank you so much for that! My curiosity is fulfilled.

Just call me Nikel
Instructor
#13 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 3:05 PM
Hey nice tutorial but will DV's mod work with recipes that come with Deliciously Indulgent Bakery(Strawberry Cobbler, Strawberry Pie)
Field Researcher
#14 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 12:27 PM Last edited by othiym28 : 7th Apr 2014 at 2:22 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer4eveer
Hey nice tutorial but will DV's mod work with recipes that come with Deliciously Indulgent Bakery(Strawberry Cobbler, Strawberry Pie)

Everything seems okay with the bakery and the DV strawberries. I followed this tutorial; the DV strawberries are back in place, and my sims can make the strawberry recipes with the new oven just fine.

In fact, you'll end up with two types of strawberry pie from this: the one made specifically by this oven, and the one from the mod, which you can make in any ordinary oven.

Peacefully co-existing strawberry pies.

And the buffs are also pie-specific; DV's still gives the Divine Meal moodlet, and the new one gives the Just like Mom used to make, or whatever it's called, in addition to the moodlet for the meal itself.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by othiym28
Everything seems okay with the bakery and the DV strawberries. I followed this tutorial; the DV strawberries are back in place, and my sims can make the strawberry recipes with the new oven just fine.

In fact, you'll end up with two types of strawberry pie from this: the one made specifically by this oven, and the one from the mod, which you can make in any ordinary oven.

Peacefully co-existing strawberry pies.

And the buffs are also pie-specific; DV's still gives the Divine Meal moodlet, and the new one gives the Just like Mom used to make, or whatever it's called, in addition to the moodlet for the meal itself.

Thank for the update.
Did you follow this tutorial before or after you installed the bakery? And did you use the ccmerge file from Nona's Sims or the one generated by launcher?
Field Researcher
#16 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 11:32 PM
After installing the bakery, and yes, I always use Nona's ccmerged. Sorry to have left that info out.

The only other thing I noticed while checking this out is that the DV pies are slightly less expensive than the store's by default. I left that out because prices can be adjusted anyway.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 7:28 AM
After installing the bakery, and yes, I always use Nona's ccmerged. Sorry to have left that info out.

The only other thing I noticed while checking this out is that the DV pies are slightly less expensive than the store's by default. I left that out because prices can be adjusted anyway.

Thank you for the answer. I too always use Nona's ccmerged. I have two more questions.
1) Do you use Nona's (also known as notouching) fixes for the Bohemian and Bakery besides the ccmerged? (These are to be found at More Awesome Than You. Go to Pudding and find the post KT's Store Fixes. Then go to page 49 and find "reply #1219. Beware that the Bohemian fix is not needed by everybody. I suggest reading from reply #1209 on page 49 and forward)
2) Do you put the ccmerged in the Mods folder besides in the DCBackup folder?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 7:50 AM
1. Yes, but just the one for the bakery, and 2. No; should I have? Nothing seems to be awry as I have it.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 5:54 PM
1. Yes, but just the one for the bakery, and 2. No; should I have? Nothing seems to be awry as I have it.

No you shouldn't. I was just wondering. Thank you for your reply.
Test Subject
#20 Old 7th Oct 2014 at 3:02 AM
I was just wondering, will this work for the cucumber fix?
Test Subject
#21 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 8:26 AM Last edited by Alexiya : 29th Jun 2015 at 2:44 PM.
Thank you very much for the tutorial . Unfortunately when I did all your recommendations I received new strawberry in my game but blackberry was lost
Instructor
#22 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 10:58 AM
Would doing this make my strawberrys have icons when in inventory, etc? As I only have your strawberry but no icons :/