Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 11:00 PM
Default Tutorial on buff and trait factory by zerbu
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to use the buff and trait factory by zerbu? I'm having a lot of trouble using it and i cant find any help on how to use it
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Jan 2015 at 6:34 PM
The download page has links to two tutorials. Have you tried these?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 4:12 PM
Default The tutorial still leaves Concerns
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
The download page has links to two tutorials. Have you tried these?

Yeah, the "tutorial" isn't really helpful, in my opinion. I mean it explains how to add occasional buffs and how to convert .bat files into .package files via S4PE program. But it'd be more helpful if it explained aspects in the tags available. Like Autonomy tag/commodity advertising and needs advertising and Is it important to fill in the Instance Name? I need Troubleshooting Support incase the traits don't show up in game and such.

Some of us need a little in-depth explanation of how to use this Most Awesome Program/mod. (sorry) I have been playing around with it for a few days, It really is a cool program but my trait didn't show up in game. I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a day or two and found no answers online. I've read the "tutorial" but was left with the concerns I stated above. I understand Zerbu is busy and can't be bothered to help the less informed newbs to modding, but hopefully someone could 'volunteer' to do it for Zerbu?

"The best part of what has happened was the part I missed."
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 4:35 PM
You need to read the Maxis CC documentation please, link is in the sticky.

Moving to Create > Modding Discussion., as well .. please use the Create forums for this kind of stuff; this is not a Game Help issue.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 12:20 AM
It's really easy, but if you want to make something more developed or useful you may need another modding tool.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 1:58 PM
I can't find an explanation on "advertising." I think I understand commodity now though. :\
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 2:22 PM
Advertising is the (sometimes empty) promises an object makes to sims, like how fun it'll be to use it, in order to get them to use it autonomously. That what you mean?

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 3:15 PM Last edited by crackSIMcaine : 11th Oct 2015 at 3:26 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Advertising is the (sometimes empty) promises an object makes to sims, like how fun it'll be to use it, in order to get them to use it autonomously. That what you mean?

No, because objects and Sim usage isn't in this program. Like how Maxis traits can mean Sims have fun using one; not there. It's under autonomy, like Commodity Advertising and Needs Advertising. WIth a lot of use I probably have the Needs Advertising down (I set a WIP trait to not take care of fun need and that worked so well, I just had to play with it before I was sure what it meant) but can't be sure if I'm using commodity advertising right (and it seems Always Active Commodities has no to little effect).

I think at least somewhat, I am; I gave Amber some traits, like clumsy and a custom private one (at least so far) just for her. Loaded her up with more traits thanks to a mod just so she'd act more like her trailer (UGH the lies, but anyway). And I increased clumsy in her custom trait, and she broke dishes every time she washed instead of sometimes (I think it's sometimes). My simself has clumsy and it seemed at the time Amber was much clumsier (but for all I know I tweaked my Simself later haha).

I just can't yet be sure but I see commodity advertising this way after experimenting with my simself: if I move the bars and the Sim has the trait, it might seem stronger. At least it doesn't do any more than that, and sometimes I don't see an effect (maybe with emotions). For someone else I wasn't able to reduce the flirty mood to almost nothing, hahaha. It's almost all shooting in the dark still.

Oh and what I asked about was not in the recommended PDF from this page (I believe it was a PDF). I think that's why I asked about that but had more questions TBH haha.

Right now I'm trying to ensure my buffs that should pop up at venues will and I just decreased the appearance time wayyyy down from default for one that I'm testing. Haven't gotten buffs to show up in my traits yet (they're visible but they just haven't popped into effect). When I reload a trait the buff comment part is empty and I'm nervous about that. Before I save it, etc., the comments are (auto-)filled in. Checking now to see if I'm also supposed to load the buff files into s4pe when I make the package.

ETA: Oooh... Am I supposed to export the buffs to the same folder as the traits? I started out very organized with a traits folder and a buff folder, then sub-folders from there. But if it's assumed that I'm exporting the buffs to their corresponding trait folder then I've been using s4pe wrong as per... http://zerbu.tumblr.com/bat/export

This page doesn't tell me where to export: http://zerbu.tumblr.com/bat/buff

:\

(I think I assumed the correct code got added to the trait files.) Thanks for any help!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 19th Nov 2015 at 9:48 PM
Two things are confusing me about the tool. 1) How come I end up with a buff in the package as well as the trait, when I only wanted a trait? 2) How does one set the ages, there doesn't seem to be a place to do it?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
#10 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Two things are confusing me about the tool. 1) How come I end up with a buff in the package as well as the trait, when I only wanted a trait? 2) How does one set the ages, there doesn't seem to be a place to do it?

As for the second question, have you tried to edit this?

[IMG]Image[/IMG]
Screenshots
#11 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 5:11 PM
Well I thought about it but realised it would be a mistake, since the DATA resource has to agree with the settlings, and I need the tool to update the DATA file properly. I will ask on his tumblr, but my previous post there went unnoticed so am unsure where he checks mainly for feedback and support queries.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 6:13 PM
Did you try editing that with velocitygrass' DATA editor? Last time I used it is a while ago, but it worked fine for me.

#13 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 6:30 PM
Nope, I didn't find that and it wasn't as far as I can see linked in the wiki as a tool? Maybe I missed it. I will look for it. But I'd also like to know if the setting really is missing in Zerbu's or whether I just don't know where to look for it. I was trying to follow ModSquad's original guide you see, as closely as possible, just for a learning process.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 7:32 PM
The DATA tool is here http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=531876 -- in Create/Tools (not as an actual download), it’s also linked in the Tools sticky.

E: oh but you did find that =) -- I’ve just seen that the last post in the thread is from you.

#15 Old 20th Nov 2015 at 7:35 PM
Ah I probably crossed it off in my mind as there was no reply to my question. I'd forgotten all about it. Is it my imagination or is there a faster obsolescence of mods and turnover of toolmakers in the TS4 community than in any previous game?

Test Subject
#16 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 3:27 PM
Try this tutorial, it's basic but still very explanatory, I used it and found no issue : http://drewshivers.tumblr.com/post/...-trait-tutorial
Field Researcher
#17 Old 10th Mar 2017 at 5:48 AM
How do I make the trait inheritable? I have seen a modder do it, before. Please? I want to make my Sims of their Custom species to have their own Babies. Pleeeeeeaaaaaaase? Where can I find that Tutorial? Is There a Tutorial?
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 5:22 PM
Default Help
Soo all of the links in this thread have been deleted and I'm super new to everything. Please Help
Test Subject
#19 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:28 AM
Can Someone Help Me With How To Use It On A Mac Please
Test Subject
#20 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 10:21 PM Last edited by fireignition : 22nd Sep 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Kasaboop
Soo all of the links in this thread have been deleted and I'm super new to everything. Please Help

https://web.archive.org/web/2016012...-trait-tutorial

The tutorial mentioned above. I will check it out now and see if I can learn how to make this work, haha. Good luck, fellow simmers!

edit: found another tutorial here http://simelicious.tumblr.com/post/...-to-make-traits
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 3:45 AM Last edited by Halstrom : 20th Oct 2017 at 10:16 AM.
Yeah unfortunately there's not a lot of detail how this tool works for more advanced stuff like broadcasters, it looks great with some powerful stuff but it seems there's no way to learn other than exploratory breakage

Edit, just found this which explains a couple of extra things https://simsvip.com/2017/09/03/crea...custom-trait-1/

Ah I just found how to really make this thing rock, there's a setting that says beginner, set that to developer and suddenly the whole program has 10x more features and makes more sense
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 3:14 PM
his tool is deprecated. Here is the newest Mod Constructor: http://simscommunity.info/social/th...iscussion.5170/
Mad Poster
#23 Old 1st Oct 2018 at 2:38 PM
There's a newer version now. Version 4 test release> http://simscommunity.info/social/th...iscussion.5514/

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu