Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 5:57 PM Last edited by Caiman Malice : 27th Aug 2010 at 8:06 PM.
Default Actually, it's a problem with JUST this scarf. Help?
I hunted high and low for tutorials for this and found only one. I followed it, but the scarf I was trying to fix is still worn with everything. Azure goes to bed? He has his scarf. He wants to swim? (He never actually does, but...you know. It's an example.) He's got the scarf. He's at a fancy event? He's got a scarf. (I just gave in and picked him an outfit that doesn't look totally ridiculous with a scarf for this one.) He's taking a refreshing bubble bath? SCARRRRRF. D8 I've found multiple tutorials that tell how to make an accessory available with everything, but...that it's available with everything is kind of my issue. I just want the scarf to be worn in Everyday, Outerwear and, I guess, Formal (I got used to it). I've also got an eyepatch accessory I recoloured that I was going to use the same tutorial on, but I never even got that far... I wanted that one on for Everyday, Formal, Outerwear and Athletic. It's not as big a deal as the scarf, though. I was also wondering...the Sim who wears the eyepatch (Jarett) got himself a job as a Scuba Diver. So, he wears a scuba outfit for work. How would changing categories affect his eyepatch with this outfit? I would think he'd prefer to wear it while he's at work so no one gets grossed out by his eye socket. :P

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=296348 - This is the tutorial I used.
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=269745 - This is the scarf (specifically, I'm trying to recategorise the red one). I'd've asked the creator, but she's not been on since February. D:
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 6:57 PM
I think it will have to do with changing the Category number in the Mesh Overlay XML files. If they're set as 0x0000027F, then they will show in all categories.

Try setting the Category number to 0x00001027. That should put the accessory in Everyday, Formal, and Outerwear.

(This tutorial is for clothes, but the idea seems to be the same.)

Let us know if it works!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 7:07 PM Last edited by Caiman Malice : 26th Aug 2010 at 7:22 PM.
That's what I did (and with the same number, I believe), but...maybe I missed one o: I'll try it one more time and tell you how it goes.

EDIT: No, all 3 of them were set correctly when I opened the file... I tried shortly after posting this topic the method involving the file scanner, but I experienced the same issue some later posts in that thread mention (hitting 'set' resets the selections you make) and gave up. I'm loading the game now, at any rate. Maybe those two things combined will have worked. o:

EDIT 2: Nope, he still won't take off his silly scarf when he changes into undies and whatnot. I put it on and took it off twice via the mirror. D:
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 9:53 PM
Did you forget to hit "Commit" after you changed the numbers? That's the only thing I can think of...
Not actually evil.
#5 Old 26th Aug 2010 at 10:55 PM
Perhaps try deleting your cache files? And have your sim take the accessory off with a mirror (change appearance), then walk away, then do change appearance again to put the accessory back on. I believe accessories already worn will not be updated unless you change appearance.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 3:30 AM
I hit 'Commit,' definitely, and like I said, I used the mirror to put it on and remove it twice D: I'll try the cache thing, though...
Not actually evil.
#7 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 4:21 AM
Are you sure you have only one copy of this accessory? You could try removing all CC except your scarf file. If it suddenly works, then you might have a 2nd, unupdated copy floating around somewhere.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 4:33 AM Last edited by Caiman Malice : 27th Aug 2010 at 8:00 PM.
Now there's an idea I haven't tried o: Do you think maybe it could be the other colours of the scarf doing it? O: I only altered the red one, after all... Red one's all I need for now (until I get all my main OCs out of the way I will likely be making ONLY OC Sims, and Azzie's the only one who wears a scarf, and only a red one (the reasons would bore you)), so I'll wipe out all the others! o:

EDIT: oh my god you guys this is driving me insane. I followed a tutorial to convert it to jewelry after deleting all traces of it and then redownloading just the mesh and red scarf. I successfully turned it into a necklace. I set it per outfit as I have done successfully with Maxis jewelry.

HE STILL. WON'T. TAKE IT OFF. I'm becoming genuinely enraged by this. I'm gonna try the Wardrobe Wrangler.

EDIT 2: ahahaha okay now I'm convinced it's the scarf. It's gotta be the scarf. I used Wardrobe Wrangler to fix both the scarf (after removing and redownloading it YET AGAIN) and the aforementioned eyepatch. The eyepatch is now worn only in the categories I set for it. The scarf...well, you can guess what the scarf is doing. I'm going to go look for other scarves. This one is incredibly pretty but if Azure is going to insist on wearing it in the bath, it's currently worthless to me. Anyone who knows more about SimPE and whatnot than I do (this should be most people on this site, really) is more than welcome to find the reason the scarf refuses to change categories. I'd really appreciate it, because, like I said, this is a beautiful scarf and I'd prefer it above any other if it weren't for that little issue. Please, please help me here. D:
Not actually evil.
#9 Old 27th Aug 2010 at 8:47 PM
Did you already try nuking all your cache files?

If that doesn't work, you can upload the irksome scarf here, and I'll take a look at it with SimPE. No guarantees that I'll figure it out, but I can try.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 1:54 AM
Yeah, I tried that. D: The scarf is linked in the first post, it's one of Sizz's meshes. The one in particular I want to use is the red one...
Test Subject
#11 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 5:15 AM
I was having a similar problem with an eyepatch. I couldn't change the categories with the methods explained in the tutorials. Finally I decided to make a copy of the object with Body shop, edit in SimPE this copy, and erase the original. Then I went back to the game, put on the mirror the new object, and it worked!!
I think that the problem is that you can't edit accessories which are already in use in the game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 6:44 AM
I did that, though. D: I made a copy and, after that failed, I deleted the original. Then that failed, and I tried Jewelry. That failed, and I tried Wrangler. And so it goes... And I know it can't be because it's in use in the game for two reasons: Jarett was wearing his eyepatch when I exited the game before fixing it, and he was wearing it when I loaded it back up. Yet my fix still worked once I had him take it off and put it back on via the mirror. And I completely removed all traces of the scarf more than once in an attempt to get it to work, with no success. I'm tellin' ya, man, there's something off about this particular scarf. D: It's a right shame, too, because I haven't found any scarfs that even come CLOSE to its awesomeness...save for those that happen to use the same mesh. I'd try one of those to see if it worked better if they weren't on TSR, if they were red, and if I weren't so certain it'd still fail |D
Mad Poster
#13 Old 28th Aug 2010 at 8:12 PM
Caiman Malice, the methods we've been suggesting do work. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the scarf. Before loading it into my game, I went into SimPE. I changed the Category in the three XML files to 0x00001027. I committed, I saved. I tossed them in my Downloads folder and started up my game. I'm looking at a CAS Sim right now who's wearing a nice red scarf with his everyday sweater, his formal suit, and his outerwear trenchcoat. He takes it off when he's in his undies, his PJs, his bathing suit, and his athletic tracksuit.

The scarf itself appears to be fine. Maybe try deleting it from your game completely. Then delete your Groups.cache and Accessory.cache files (the ones that the game generates each time it loads). Then fix the file in SimPE before you put it in your Downloads folder. See if that works. If not... I have no idea.