Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 2:29 PM
Default Making unique faces...
One of the biiiiig issues with TS3 is the lack of slider variation, making it difficult to create truly unique looking sims. Seems like no matter what you do, you end up with a pudgy-faced moron.

But I've figured out a neat trick for getting sims to look more unique.

Before you make -any- adjustments... zero or max out all the sliders. Just drag them far to the left, or far to the right. You can zero all of them, or max all of them, or zero/max every other one, or whatever you want. This will create an utterly freakish looking sim.

Then, go back and adjust each slider JUST until your sim stops looking like a science experiment. And then allow yourself only -one- more pass through the sliders for individual tweaks. You can then change eye/hair/makeup/etc. but not the face.

I know it sounds weird, but I tried it last night, and, well...

^ That... becomes...

This!

And from this:

... to this:

Hope that helps some of you struggling with the "sims all look the same!!" stuff.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 3:07 PM
That's a good idea, that way we are forced to make the face instead of going along with what was generated. So in essence we are generating it instead.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 3:24 PM
Wow, that really is cool! I like the different style faces you got there! The guy especially has a very unique looking face which I find quite attractive! I wonder how the babies will turn out? You should marry those two and see what happens!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 3:51 PM
I think the issue isn't really an issue. I think it is the fact that SOME people are too lazy to take the time to actually go through CAS, and check out the tools. Or to spend the time making a Sim.

Anyhow, great little guide HP.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sim Simmer
I think the issue isn't really an issue. I think it is the fact that SOME people are too lazy to take the time to actually go through CAS, and check out the tools. Or to spend the time making a Sim.

Anyhow, great little guide HP.
You do realise this is a game right, not work?
Alchemist
#6 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arcadus

Exactly!!!

My boyfriend was watching me Sim last night and wanted me to let him give him a shot at making a Sim (the only part of Simming he likes). Anyway, about 15 minutes into it and after starting over twice he said, "This is too hard." He couldn't get the Sim to look the way he wanted it to and it was taking too LONG to figure out.

And it's not like he's never used CAS before, plus, I was there explaining what to do.

I just thought it was funny watching someone come into it totally fresh and just losing patience with it very quickly.

Anyway, good looking Sims HP. I must try this.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 4:50 PM
I would have never thought to do try that.. Think I'll try that right now.. woot thanks for pointing that out HP
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 5:13 PM
Let us know how the babies turn out. I found in TS2 that extreme slider positions led to offspring with teeth in their necks, eyeballs hovering in front of faces and other glitchy goodness.
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 5:16 PM
What a neat idea! I'll try that next time I play. I always have a problem with making similar looking sims, even in the Sims 2. Most of my sims are pixie looking with green eyes, short red hair,and freckles. This should help me make a few more interesting looking sims.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 5:29 PM
Thank you so much I don't have the game yet - but I will definatly use this method when I do get my hands on the game :D
Forum Resident
#11 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 5:57 PM
I found it hard to get a decent looking sim too. Eventually I gave up and now I have 2 fugly sims. I'm definitely going to try this, thanks for the tip HP.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 6:11 PM
Geez... I hadn't even noticed the sliders! That makes ALL the difference in how the sims look. So much to explore in this game. I love it! Thanks HP!
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Jun 2009 at 7:11 PM
You must breed these two and tell us how it comes out :D
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:10 AM
Thank you for posting this! I hope a lot of people read it so that we can see more interesting sims and end the complaints about them all looking the same. :D

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

The Hunger Site - Click once a day for free to give food to developing countries!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:14 AM
Hm, I wish I had read this when I was trying to make a self-sim on my friend's game. Thanks for the tip, though, HP! Great idea! :]

Just call me Sam :]
Instructor
#16 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 1:16 AM

Yes, because I put much more time and effort into my Sims than I have ever put into my work!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:09 AM
I don't see the problem people are having...I watched someone make Sims in CAS yesterday who had never played The Sims on a computer before (only a console version once) and they made a very attractive looking woman in half an hour or so.

The Sims look unique, I don't see how people can think they aren't...press randomise until you get a Sim that would be a good base to start with and edit them from there.

I guess each to their own, but I find CAS WAY better than The Sims 2, and the Sims themselves look so much more fluid and less 'blocky' than in previous games.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:14 AM

I don't understand what you're implying. Are you implying that laziness does not exist outside the workplace? I fail to see how laziness only applies to work.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:22 AM
I also don't really understand the difficulty. There are a million different variations you can do with their looks, the problem is you all have the same notion of beauty most likely..of course you'll gravitate to bigger eyes, smaller noses, and fuller lips, and with three very distinct looks like that, it'll be harder to make them look different. Akin to why people who don't read People can't tell the Hollywood starlets apart "She's that blonde with the big lips, right?"
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:47 AM
I'll admit I have the oppossite problem! lol... I prefer starting with a simple basic "One size fits all" look lol, starting off looking nice, and maybe just editing one thing about that sim... maybe the eyes or the mouth ... just something small.... I guess i got in that habit during TS2... when some of those "Randomized" sims drove me nuts o.O; it was always hard to come up with something that looked "Just right"

in TS2 i finally found the "Default" settings i was happy with, and always started my sims from that point.... (I love the game play, and building/decorating houses.... i never had patience with creating sims)

in TS3 i dont have that anymore T.T and i've been trying to find yes, out of sheer laziness, a "Default basic" sim prototype that'll work for all the sims i create, with the exceptions of a few minor changes...

for me the faces are still too unique.... T.T and i have more choices than i want to mess with lol.... i just wanna hurry and play the game! lol
Instructor
#21 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 4:57 AM
I just did this and had some pretty good results. I forgot to take screenshots of the male sim I made, but here's the before and after for the female:

Field Researcher
#22 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:12 AM
SERIOUSLY, Hysterical Paroxysm, this is SUCH a wonderful idea! Your Sims turned out so beautifully Haha... now I want to see MORE before and after pictures of Sims you create this way! :D
Scholar
#23 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:40 AM
This looks fun, and HowAbominable, your sim turned out GORGEOUS! Are those maxis skins or did you download something....

In Sims 2 I used to just close my eyes and drag the sliders around and see what I finished up with.

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Test Subject
#24 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:44 AM Last edited by Amsterdave : 7th Jun 2009 at 7:04 AM.
I used to do this in the sims 2, and I can't believe I didn't think of this! Although I actually found the new CAS a LOT easier...

I think it's a good thing that the sliders don't go as extreme. Before, you would get horrible mutations if you moved the sliders more than a centimeter in either direction. Now, you can make Sims that have unique features without looking too cartoony. I've only made one sim so far, but lot of her features were near the extreme. She's not a exactly a super model, but she looks so familiar it drives me crazy.
Oh and not that it matters, but there's 39 sliders in The Sims 2 and 60 sliders in The Sims 3. (I might be off by 1 or 2 at the most)

Anyways, sorry if that was off topic. I'm off to try this out!
Instructor
#25 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by meggie272
This looks fun, and HowAbominable, your sim turned out GORGEOUS! Are those maxis skins or did you download something....

In Sims 2 I used to just close my eyes and drag the sliders around and see what I finished up with.

It's just the Maxis skin, I thought about downloading replacements but I haven't decided yet.
Page 1 of 4