Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#926 Old 15th May 2016 at 3:09 AM
Hi, Yvi-sama, glad to hear you've found some time to play!

Quote: Originally posted by Yvi-sama
1) If the heiress of a family gets married (because of her status) and surprisingly gets a younger brother, she'll lose her title, right?

That would depend upon what the father wanted ... if he decided to change the heir to the new son, then yes, definitely.

2) Let's say this heiress wants to make sure her (step-)mother (who is pregnant) wont provide her father with a son, how would she force an abortion?

She would buy herbs from a midwife, probably a witch with an evil alignment. This is an evil behavior.

2a) I was thinking about poison only the mother-to-be is "only" suppoused to have a miscarriage and not die... how do I handle this?
2b) "An unfortunate accident" might do the trick as well, but again the question of how many lost Healthpoints would lead to a miscarriage?
3) Which rules regarding the investigation aply? And will there be an investigation without an Investigator ?

I am not sure about this--I think it really is up to you how you want to do it. Maybe she just arranges a convenient fall down the stairs. That's what the soap operas do. If you do decide on "poison" I think that would hurt the mother too ... but the "herbs" should induce a miscarriage without hurting the mother. It's up to you.

Can a father/husband sent a female to the convent without her approval?

Yes--I suppose so. That would depend upon your neighborhood story, not any "rules" of the game. Which would be the same answer for all of the other questions here--it is up to you how you want to decide on this. There are no real "rules" to cover decisions of this nature. Men and women may leave the cloister at any time. Infants born in the cloister to married women would still have the right to become heir, if that is their place in the family. Story outcomes are really determined by the player--the Warwickshire rules are designed to give you a play structure, not to determine what will happen in the story.

Hope this helps!
Advertisement
Instructor
#927 Old 16th May 2016 at 10:56 PM
I just started the MCC challenge, planning to follow it with Warwickshire, so I am trying to implement some of the WWS rules early. It is all so wonderfully intricate and I just love it. I've been in the habit of making birth and death tables even in my modern games, so your playstyle fits right in with what I like to do the most. I have my beginning families for my shire and am working on their heath statuses and their alignments. (I was delighted when I found Chapter 3. It is so reminiscent of the alignment system in D&D which I used to play fanatically. I ran out of people to play with so now just play with sims. LOL) I am using the 3.3.4 teaser version and have a question. At the bottom of page 84, in discussing the rewards of moral alignment, it says "See Table 61, “Aspirations and Rewards” below to determine how a sim’s moral alignment affects him or her." However Table 61 is Randomizing Ethical Alignment. Not able to find Aspirations and Rewards anywhere close by. Is it in this version or in a previous version? I assume there is not yet a later version.
Instructor
Original Poster
#928 Old 16th May 2016 at 11:46 PM
I have the table you're looking for in a more updated version--not yet released. When I am finally done grading finals, I'll post it here.
Instructor
#929 Old 17th May 2016 at 1:57 AM
Oh, joy! Thank you so much. I'll be looking forward to it. Your semester is over already? Aren't finals so much fun? Well, at least some of them were. I always put at least one essay question on a test. Most of the kids could give some delightful answers, but it seemed there was always at least one who had tried so hard and still had no clue.
Instructor
Original Poster
#930 Old 19th May 2016 at 4:41 PM
Hi, hedgekat, thanks for waiting ... yes, our semester is over here, but it is only because I teach uni. The high schools are still in session, counting down the days. Oh, don't I remember those days? (I loved teaching high school, which I did for ten years, but really found my niche teaching college freshmen--go figure!). At any rate, just turned grades in yesterday, so here goes on your question.

The charts you requested are here.

These charts are only for sims with a good moral alignment, i.e. +6 or higher or for sims with an evil moral alignment, i.e. -6 or lower. Neutral sims do not receive any particular bonuses or rewards for muddling through life trying their best, or not trying much at all, whichever it is.

What these charts do is allow your virtuous sims to access the reputation rewards system of the game without (necessarily) going to community lots. It also gives them a variety of unique rewards for having high clerical favor. Sims with a good moral alignment are more likely to be held up as a standard to the community; hence, if they *do* get caught doing something wrong, they are quickly judged in the court of public opinion. The chart indicates the consequences of negative neutral behaviors (i.e. those resulting in a decrease in CFP), as well as evil behaviors. Sims with a good moral alignment do not receive negative CFP for neutral fortune behaviors (no shame in being poor if you're good ...). You can easily change a sim's reputation meter using the Sim Manipulator.

The chart for evil sims is really quite sinister and gets very, very dark. Basically, the higher your RFP if you're evil, the more evil you can easily get away with. You can even take normally "good" behaviors and pervert them to your evil designs and receive double RFP for doing them, all while maintaining your evil alignment. Further, you can corrupt other sims with good and neutral alignments to your dark purposes and have them take the RFP loss doing the evil behaviors for you--or assisting you in them.

I hope you enjoy these charts. They will likely end up at the end of Chapter 3; the reference to Table 61 that you saw in the current version is deleted in the newest version of the challenge.

To really use these new charts, everyone should go and get the latest, most up to date Behaviors and Outcomes charts . These are all changed quite a bit: more behaviors are now coded as neutral with negative consequences, to allow sims with good moral alignments a challenge to keeping their CFP high. Also, some changes to alignment have been made for other evil behaviors and lots of behaviors have had their RFP or CFP values tweaked. N.B. Google preview is not displaying the Behaviors and Outcomes charts with their formatting correctly, but all is well if you download them, if that sort of thing bugs you as much as does me.
Instructor
#931 Old 23rd May 2016 at 6:41 PM
What program do I need to view these charts? I downloaded them but can't see them as they are formatted. I'm not familiar with .docx.
Instructor
Original Poster
#932 Old 23rd May 2016 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hedgekat
What program do I need to view these charts? I downloaded them but can't see them as they are formatted. I'm not familiar with .docx.

Microsoft Word--I can pdf them and reupload if you need me to.
Scholar
#933 Old 24th May 2016 at 5:56 PM
LibreOffice can also handle .docx files, if the price of Word is a problem.
Instructor
#934 Old 25th May 2016 at 10:54 PM
PDFs would be wonderful. Word came with my older computers but this computer is home built. I have OpenOffice (free) which I thought was supposed to be able to read files made by other programs but I've used it so little I don't really know what it can do. I use WordPad for most of my writing needs. I would very much appreciate PDFs.
Instructor
Original Poster
#935 Old 26th May 2016 at 4:07 PM
I come bearing PDFs!

Behaviors and Outcomes Chart--Rvd PDF

Moral Alignments and Perquisites--PDF

Let me know if you find these useful or not.
Instructor
#936 Old 27th May 2016 at 4:37 AM
Thank you so much for doing these. I love the detail of your work. I know I will get a lot of use from these charts.
Lab Assistant
#937 Old 28th May 2016 at 1:19 PM
I'm (Hopefully) going to do this challenge--again :-/
I've been reading about Cecily Neville--mother of Edward and Richard III--and it's inspired me.
I just hope I won't get overwhelmed and give up (like I normally do, haha! )

Wish me luck!
Instructor
Original Poster
#938 Old 31st May 2016 at 4:25 AM
Much luck to you, meginmd! I'm sure you'll do fine.
Test Subject
#939 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 4:44 PM
Heloise, I just want to thank you for writing the most well-developed and cohesive challenge I have seen. I have been a Simmer since the original game came out, and TS2 is by far my favorite version. Over the last few years, I have been bouncing back and forth between 2, 3, and 4, but nothing has been sticking because I just couldn't get attached to my Sims.

I recently started playing a medieval themed hood in TS2, and I am slowly incorporating your ideas into my playstyle. I started off with 24 singles of the Serf class, and I will use your rules for moving them up. Eventually, their descendants will become the merchants, nobility, and royalty, and I will add new CAS sims to replace them as serfs. I am also challenging myself to build all of the lots myself, so I am hoping I will get many years of enjoyment out of this hood. Best of all, I am already loving my little medieval Simmies. Honestly, this is the most fun I have had playing a Sims game in years, and I thank you for that.
Instructor
Original Poster
#940 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 12:38 PM
Hi, belladuke97, and welcome to Warwickshire! It's always nice to see new faces and hear about everyone's experience with the challenge. There are really unlimited outcomes for this challenge, so your game will likely be very different from anyone else's who plays! I hope you'll consider posting some pics here, along with a story or two.
Test Subject
#941 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 2:51 AM
Dear Heloise, I read you are writing about courts and trials! I hope the challenge won't be limited to the use of an adversarial court system? I would love to see scenario's involving different types of courts (crown, chancel, clerical, and stuff) and different systems such as of course inquisitorial and adversarial, and perhaps different types of law as well: roman, canon, customary, common.

Perhaps I'm getting overly excited about this though, I trust that you will deliver great work again as you did every time up till now, thank you so much!
Instructor
Original Poster
#942 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 1:16 PM
Hi, Wups,
At this point, the trial system will be largely limited to criminal and civil cases, so that it completes the law and order chapter. As far as game play goes, these are the first ones needed because they are linked to specific crimes that are categorized by behavior & aspiration. I like the idea of different kinds of courts, however, and it is something that I will consider looking more into especially clerical courts, which I can see fitting into the challenge. I'm honored that you're excited ... I hope you'll find the rest of chapter 5 to be useful to your game.
Test Subject
#943 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
Hi, belladuke97, and welcome to Warwickshire! It's always nice to see new faces and hear about everyone's experience with the challenge. There are really unlimited outcomes for this challenge, so your game will likely be very different from anyone else's who plays! I hope you'll consider posting some pics here, along with a story or two.

Thank you! As I get further along in my hood (and over my shyness), I will post some pics. I just saw that you posted a new teaser, so I am eagerly off to read it!
Test Subject
#944 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 4:33 PM
So excited to see the new teaser, thank you! And glad to see you're still working away at this Heloise. Wow what a massive undertaking, and it just keeps getting bigger.

I think I posted a couple times back in 2.0 days about my trials and tribulations of creating a new medieval nh, but what I finally ended up doing was integrate pieces of the challenge into my existing Victorian Population Challenge because I'm just too lazy to build a new nh. In practice I didn't want to do any big changes until I'm ~officially~ done with the VPC (so close!) so I pretty much have just done THS.

Anyway, the new teaser reminded me that I meant to post the ~fully automated birth rolls~ sheet that I created awhile ago because automation is good, see: laziness. I've been using this for awhile, double-checked the numbers against the latest (3.5 Teaser 2.5), and I hope that others might find it useful. Screenshot is attached, I think the directions are pretty self-explanatory with Heloise's birth roll instructions but just in case - all the Birth statistics rolls, and sub-rolls if applicable, are labeled and entered as randbetween functions. The resulting rolls spat out in column C should then be manually entered under 'birth statistic values' in column F. These are auto-summed as the subtotal in cell G12. The event score chart is also included with the rolls as randbetweens, so find the appropriate age by births, and manually enter the the number in cell G13. This is automatically subtracted from your subtotal to give you the 'final birth outcome', which you then use as directed in the 'childbirth effect on THS' chart. I also added the directions for special cases (twins and miscarriages) for easy reference. If anyone finds mistakes, or if my directions confused you more, let me know!

I originally wanted an excel book with All the Health Rolls, but I couldn't decide on if and how I wanted the modifiers incorporated within excel and got kinda of...stuck. Ah well. And speaking of health rolls, I really like the addition of the comatose state! I found it rather frustrating having sims in the terrible state, as they can't do anything but it potentially takes such a long time for them to either reach 0 or claw back up to Poor.
Also a question - forgive me if I'm being obtuse but I'm very confused by the 'Clinical Practice: Patient Outcomes' addition to the skill level chart for doctors/healers. I can't seem to find directions, though I confess I only skimmed that section of the update. I can't figure out how to use it...or what its for...or, er, much of anything really.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BirthRolls.rar (11.7 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Inventor
#945 Old 13th Jul 2016 at 10:39 PM
I have a question that I've been curious about for a bit: will there be a way to convert a Warwickshire 2.x town to Warwickshire 3.x when that comes out? I'm asking because this is a challenge I've been wanting to do for a while but haven't started because I don't want to throw away all my hard work when the 3.x final version comes out, nor do I want to be stuck on the older version. Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Instructor
Original Poster
#946 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 9:10 PM
Hello, Renatti! Thanks so much for posting your helpful Excel spreadsheet. It is very helpful and easy to use! It would be neat to have sheets like this for diseases and even keeping track of RFP and CFP--but that may just be tooooo tall of an order.

As to the Patient Outcomes--it has long been a dream of mine to keep track of the skill level of a midwife or doctor by how well their patients fared. I mean, really, that seems as good an indicator as anything else, say like education. In fact, I'd really want it to be possible for every sort of inversion to be possible--like a highly educated doctor who is just a bad practitioner--he's book learned, but has terrible patient outcomes. Or a really excellent lay midwife with no formal education at all. The patient outcomes portion of the chart allows you to take into consideration how well the patient fared and use that to figure the practitioner's skill.

So here's how the chart works:
The figures are given as a ratio between the number of skill points the practitioner earns or loses to the number of patient outcomes indicated by the level of the patient's health after treatment. To use these figures, you would need to keep track of the THS for every patient attended by the doctor or midwife. So, for example, for every five births where the patient is in "excellent" health after the birth, the midwife may increase her skill level by 2 points. For every five patients who die in childbirth with her attending will cause her to lose 2 skill points. (Which really seems rather lenient when you think about it ... ) The figures are higher for healers than for doctors since lay experience rather than formal education is a higher indicator of their skill.

Now, you may reasonably protest--"but who could seriously keep up with all that data???" and you'd be right. It is .... hard to do. I am always updating records, and I have an access database I'm using. Reasonably, I think it makes sense to calculate those numbers only when/if you ***really*** need them, like for example, when a midwife or doctor is faced with a lawsuit. Or just when you get really curious and wonder aloud to yourself, "just how good of a midwife is Christine, really ?" And then you can crank the numbers and find out. Those numbers will give you a more accurate picture, too, of how well your midwives deal with difficult births, like breeches or twins. Or whether that plague outbreak totally owned your doc ... But that's seriously just me being a total nerd ... :lovestruc

@PSDuckie--3.0 is really just a seamless transition from 2.0--so you can start it any time. Are you still using the original 2.0 release, or one of the more recent teaser releases? At this point, I really recommend that you just pick up the latest teaser release--the rest of 3.0 will be dropped into it as it is finished with no changes up to the end of chapter 4.
Inventor
#947 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 9:26 PM
@PSDuckie--3.0 is really just a seamless transition from 2.0--so you can start it any time. Are you still using the original 2.0 release, or one of the more recent teaser releases? At this point, I really recommend that you just pick up the latest teaser release--the rest of 3.0 will be dropped into it as it is finished with no changes up to the end of chapter 4.

I was originally planning on using the original 2.0 release, but I can use the 3.0 teaser; I haven't started building yet.

Instructor
Original Poster
#948 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 10:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
I was originally planning on using the original 2.0 release, but I can use the 3.0 teaser; I haven't started building yet.

That's definitely what I would recommend. At this point 2.0 is completely obsolete. 3.0 has turned out to be a slowly evolving transition from 2.0 since it is so long and involved. But we're getting there, piece by piece.
Inventor
#949 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 5:27 PM
That's definitely what I would recommend. At this point 2.0 is completely obsolete. 3.0 has turned out to be a slowly evolving transition from 2.0 since it is so long and involved. But we're getting there, piece by piece.

Just to clarify: I should use the 3.0 teaser for the chapters that are in there, and the 2.0 for the chapters that aren't in the teaser? Thanks!

Instructor
Original Poster
#950 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 9:25 PM
Not exactly: everything you need is in the latest 3.0 teaser--2.0 is completely obsolete at this point. I think you can safely junk it and never look back.
Page 38 of 44