Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2013 at 9:35 PM
Default Converting Hair From Another Game?
I REALLY want a specific hair from another game in my Sims 3. There are a few problems with it, however. 1, once I delete the model's head, the hair becomes see through if looking at it from the top, and there is apparently no scalp texture for it(but there is hair textures for it). 2, it's got a crap ton of polygons (about 40 once I delete the head, eyes, teeth and tongue) and 3, I've tried following HP's hair basics tutorial and always get stuck on the joints bit and UV mapping part. For the joints part, do I assign 100 to the b_headnew bone on each of the colored bars, or just the top two? And how would I go about UV mapping this thing?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Aug 2013 at 10:56 PM
Back with a Big Problem...
Ok, I managed to convert the hair I wanted. It looks great in TSRW. See below:

Adam's Hair

and

More pretty hair!

So just when I was getting excited, I run into this abomination in CAS:

EEK!

Could somebody explain why it looked so good in TSRW, but absolute shit in CAS? And, what can I do to fix it?
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 11:52 AM
i dont know much about hair but you might want to have a look at this tutorial on how to regroup the diffrent layers.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=414488
Did you do the boneweighting?
It looks more like a texture issue tho.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2013 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
i dont know much about hair but you might want to have a look at this tutorial on how to regroup the diffrent layers.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=414488
Did you do the boneweighting?
It looks more like a texture issue tho.

I didn't do the bone weighing, no. I figured the Mesh Kit would take care of that part...

What do you suggest I do about the textures? Because I used the ones that came with the model, but scaled them to 1024x1024 and then mapped them to the UV map.
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 4:35 AM
check if boneweights are 100%
check textureformats!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 10:02 AM
Alright, I checked the texture formats and they are good. The bones are fine as well I believe - 100% asigned to the b_headnew. I tried both the GEOM method as mentioned in HP's Hair Basics tutorial and the WSO format for TSRW and I still get the same result.
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 12:44 PM
did you group the layers like in the tut?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2013 at 9:20 PM
Yes I did
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2013 at 8:59 PM
UPDATE: After doing the whole thing over, I finally got the hair to appear correctly. :D
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 10:23 AM
Lady Aran, can you please tell me how to convert hairs from another game to The Sims 3?
In my case, I want some hairs from a game named Project Diva, Dreamy Theatre.
I´m a total noob when it comes to mesh in milkshape, and it seems rather difficult!
I have searched a long time on internet, and no results...
Can you please help me? (Or someone else?)