Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 9:39 PM
Default Will there ever be an app for TS2?
Laptop charger broke *sigh*. Sometimes I do wish If there ever be a person who would recreate TS2:UC as an app on smartphones (of course without copy righting too much, because EA may put on the naughty list snd ground). Is that even practical?
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 9:52 PM
not sure if there would be any more Sims2 versions from anyone. at least not anytime soon.
whoever does it might need the source code.

as far as I recall, Maxis/EA released a phone version of this game sometime when the main site was active.
Instructor
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:12 PM
My guess is a no, considering we have The Sims FreePlay.

It's actually not utterly horrendous; I'd much prefer it over TS3. The only thing I can't stand about it is that it runs in real-time, which takes away the fun. It's basically as if I'm babysitting a tiny person in my phone.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:34 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Jun 2017 at 11:54 PM.
I seriously don't think a smartphone would be able to cope with the full version of TS2. The install is around 14 GB, and then there's the files for the saved game as well. I also can't imagine how you'd be able to play comfortably on a screen 1/4 the size of a laptop. Perhaps it could work on a tablet (though I'd imagine the game would be a little slower).
Alchemist
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2017 at 10:59 PM
from my understanding, games on non-PC platforms are smaller in memory than on PC/Laptop.
and from my understanding, non-PC equivalents have less content than their PC/Laptop counterparts.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 12:09 AM
When I posted this thread, I didn't have EA being the creator of it in my mind. Just any fan or person that would consider creating it.
Instructor
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
When I posted this thread, I didn't have EA being the creator of it in my mind. Just any fan or person that would consider creating it.

I figured, but I just assumed that with the fan base The Sims FreePlay has, not many dedicated simmers would be all that interested in creating a Sims 2-type app. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like nothing can really be an equivalent to The Sims 2 for PC. Hell, no console version of The Sims I've ever played has amounted to anything that the PC version has. A Sims 2 UC app would detract from (what I believe to be) the greatness that the PC's version is.

And like what was just said, it would take a committed and well-funded team to manage to create something as tremendous as a Sims 2 app that is even on the same playing field as The Sims 3 for mobile or FreePlay. I'm totally not discrediting your idea, because I'd love to see what Sims 2 UC would look like as a mobile version; realistically I just can't see it happening or beating out the PC version.
Test Subject
#8 Old 3rd Jun 2017 at 11:29 AM Last edited by ineedtoworknow : 3rd Jun 2017 at 3:42 PM.
Reasons this would most probably not happen:
(1)Storage Space [constraint]
If EA is going to take the time to create Sims 2 UC for the app store they would want millions of people to play it. Now Sims 2 UC requires quite a bit of storage space. Suffice to say the average smart phone does not have 10s of gigabytes of usable storage space.

(2)Too complicated (possibly) [constraint]
Game vendors tend to simplify gameplay for smartphone versions of a console/pc game. All the expansions of Sims 2 added quite a bit complexity to our Sims game interface, which is no problem with a big monitor, keyboard and mouse. However, I don't think this complexity can be easily translated onto a phone. This is not a factor that could cease development, but one that would result in a highly altered product.

(3)Cost vs Profit [constraint]
EA would look at what it would cost the company to do this vs. what profit they could make. Yes, it would probably be a payed game, since (needless to say) it will not be straight-forward to adapt Sims UC to the phone. Given the current trend on app stores, payed games are not fashionable at all - which could possibly mean a loss. The other option is a 'freemium' or advert-spam model. I think the former model could work, but obviously this would mean player satisfaction might suffer. It is not just EA, every game vendor would want to maximize profit, and the work put in should correlate to the profit gained.

(4) EA would try to model how the mobile version would affect sales of the PC version.

(5) Re-brand
Undoubtedly a lot would have to be optimized (eg graphics), changed (eg. User Interface) and scraped (eg. Features) from UC to make it work on a phone. Since the differences between UC and the phone version would most likely be quite significant, EA would consider re-branding it from Sims 2 to something else. The concern here is not the re-branding, but what will we be left with. To a Sims 2 fan, the resulting product may not be satisfactory, or rather it would just not feel like Sims 2.

(6) Sims FreePlay
This is probably one of the main reasons why they would not even consider an Android/iOS version of UC. This is the result the Sims team produced when considering how they might offer the Sims experience to smart phone users. At least for now, any other Sims 2/3 like phone games would seems redundant. This game does the job perfectly; it promotes the Sims brand to the massive smart phone app market.