Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#351 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=GigaRevival]Please, please, please, please, puh-leeeeeeaaaazzzzeee use your signal. For love of all that is holy, I am not a fucking mind reader - I do not know which lane you wish to be in if you don't signal and give me a heads up. Seriously, is it really that hard to reach maybe two inches (if that)?

People. I don't understand them.[/QUOTE

In London, where I live people often signal---wrongly.
Advertisement
Theorist
#352 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 2:29 PM
My housemates keeps on inviting in friends and making all sort of noise until past midnight. At times like these, I'm glad that I'm moving out next semester.
Scholar
#353 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 1:40 AM
They haven't gotten in the part in for my radio yet. D: It's quite upsetting.
Instructor
#354 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 4:02 AM
My new middle-management person is an eager puppy, but she makes mistakes and I find it very aggravating, especially, when she insists on giving me detailed orders, which I don't need, and then fubars them. Today I spent a bit of time cleaning up her 'mistakes.' The other time she wants me to 'check her work.' Excuse me, but I only want to check my own work!

She has some skillz and she isn't rude, but she drives me nuts sometimes.
Scholar
#355 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 7:27 AM Last edited by DrowningFishy : 18th Feb 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SimsLover50
My new middle-management person is an eager puppy, but she makes mistakes and I find it very aggravating, especially, when she insists on giving me detailed orders, which I don't need, and then fubars them. Today I spent a bit of time cleaning up her 'mistakes.' The other time she wants me to 'check her work.' Excuse me, but I only want to check my own work!

She has some skillz and she isn't rude, but she drives me nuts sometimes.

Well there is only two things you can do with a puppy. Put paper on the floor with a mess, and hit them with a rolled up paper when they mis behave, but dont' forget to scratch her behind the ear when she does a good job.

-edit- F I just dumped fresh hot coffee on my hand trying to get coffee grounds out. >_< And -gags- it can't be any blacker tasting this this. I think eating the grounds themselves would be tastier.

-edit- 2/18 it's 4:54 in the morning drank two energy drinks to stay awake. Of course all the energy drinks avalable contaned sucralose which might as well be read as laxative for me. I think that is all I think I need to say.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Lab Assistant
#356 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 6:22 PM
I hate that I don't have talent when it comes to drawing....
I see so many things that I'd like to recreate but I can't because the best thing I can draw is a stick man.

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Mad Poster
#357 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lawli-Lawli
I see so many things that I'd like to recreate but I can't because the best thing I can draw is a stick man.

Ira Glass wrote the following on that topic:

"Nobody tells this to people who are beginners. I wish someone had told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it's just not that good. It's trying to be good, it has potential, but it's not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase; they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn't have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know that it's normal and the most important thing you can do is a lot of work....It's only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions."

I highly recommend Betty Edwards' book Drawing on the Right Side of The Brain. She explains how people tend to take shortcuts in drawing, almost like a code, so that they quickly represent things without really looking at them. Through exercises she shows you how to really see and start drawing. One of the first exercises is to take an image and hold it upside down and then draw it. This stops the brain from making quick representations of what things look like.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Inventor
#358 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 3:44 PM

I know how you feel, I'm the same when it comes to my complete lack of natural ability in math, which sometimes makes a lot of other things hard--for instance, I'm somewhat interested in computers, but can be hampered when trying to learn about them, because I just can't sort out or visualize something. On the other hand, however, I tend to be above average when it comes to "right-brained" things such as drawing, reading/reading comprehension and retention, etc.
I also wish that I had a better singing voice, and that I could play multiple instruments.

If you really want to get better, I'd suggest following VerDeTerre's advice, and also to learn to recognize where your strengths in art potentially lie. Just because you may not be good at drawing freehand doesn't mean that you aren't good at pottery or sculpture, for instance. There are many different types of art and means to create it after all. Also, if your strengths lie more in math and science-based things, try some math-based art; even though I'm very good at drawing, I would never be able to create any of these pieces, for previously-mentioned reasons (and I know this from experience, if you ever take a design class, well, they focus a lot on things like pattern, and we often had to make projects that sometimes look similar to these, and mine would end up looking lopsided at best).

Mostly though, follow Ver's advice about not giving up on it, and keep trying. I went through a similar period like what was described in the quote, and could sometimes have trouble with certain body parts (like noses and hands), but I kept sketching, and, even without a lot of outside instruction, one day, it just all came together and clicked, and now I have little trouble drawing hands or managing to incorporate a realistic-looking and proportioned nose.
Lab Assistant
#359 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 5:25 PM
I have literally alt-tab'd from The Sims 2 to come find this thread and be angry here so I don't end up burning every resident of Veronaville to death in a big, glorious, fiery mayhem of "THANK MOLLY THAT SHIT IS GONE FOREVER!":

Dear Veronaville,
I have tried to be your friend so many times, I've tried so very hard to like you, your residents, your storyline and your houses, but you just won't let me in. You are complete and utter shit. I mean, come on, the Summerdream house? There is NO POSSIBLE WAY to make that house nice. At all. Ever. What the hell is going on in that backyard of theirs? All I want is Puck to grow up so he can move to Strangetown and live happily ever after with that Singles family ginger-alien-girl so they can have beautiful little ginger-alien-babies together, but sadly, to do that (and at the same time keep the rest of the Summerdreams in Veronaville to die a lonely death where they belong), I need to be in Veronaville. And you were made just to upset me, I am sure of it. I'm so frustrated, because from previous experience with making over your premade houses so that they fit my liking, I know there isn't another suitable house for the Summerdreams in existance; and so very much against my better judgment, I'm trying my very best - in that so very predictable, "welcome to Veronaville, here's what all my premades look like", what-the-hell-is-up-with-that-balcony monstrosity of a house located directly to the left of the Summerdream residence (which, for the record, I demolished. It felt good.) - but you just won't let me go where I want to go. You're making me not enjoy the game. You're just... made of useless! Gaaaaaaaaah! Sighpants and grumpybutterflies.

Fine. I'll tab back to The Sims and quit moaning about the problems I'm creating for myself by insisting on keeping Veronaville in existance. Boo.

And all the Naaru say I'm pretty fly for a Draenei!
LiveJournal - Tumblr
Scholar
#360 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 7:46 PM
I'm bored and it looks cold outside
Scholar
#361 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:57 PM

I dunno if you'd appreciate another person giving you advice, but save everything. Seriously, save it all and keep it in order to see your progress. It really can help you visualize what your strengths are and what directions you can go in to improve. It helps to draw every day, but I can't even do that myself.

(I'm a bit of a hypocrite here, there are a couple of things that I just flat-out get rid of but I try to save everything I can. Sometimes the best thing to do for me is to just burn a few terrible things. There are still tons and tons of drawings that are really embarrassingly bad, but save for the absolute worst of the worst, I keep them all. Eh, I bend the rules sometimes.)

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Field Researcher
#362 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 10:23 PM
@Lawli
yeah I still have amazingly embarrassing fan-art from the 80's.

I still can't draw, but I can paint and I quite like some of my digital stuff.
Maybe you just have to find the right medium?
Practice does pay off though, even if you hate the initial stuff.
There really is a huge gap between vision and ability and only practice can overcome it, and confidence of course
Scholar
#363 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:28 AM
Been sick for a few days now, as much as I hate to admitt it I don't think it is allergies like I first thought. Decided to get some Ricola drops for my sore throat but they're so nasty. The cherry dual action ones, :gag:. They make Halls seem like sweet delicious candy. Wouldn't mind having a cold if I could breathe. Feels like I got a ball stuck in the back of my thraot, and every time I blow my nose my right ear hurts. Oh gets better, everytime I bite down on food my back right tooth hurts. All the symtoms of a fractured tooth... That's a tooth they "fixed" not to long ago. -sigh-

PS: You don't have to be able to draw to be an artist. Art takes all forms and styles.

Alchemist
#364 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 6:33 AM
my country is so very very bi-polar, and i fear it isnt even aware of it.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Theorist
#365 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by paksetti
I dunno if you'd appreciate another person giving you advice, but save everything. Seriously, save it all and keep it in order to see your progress. It really can help you visualize what your strengths are and what directions you can go in to improve. It helps to draw every day, but I can't even do that myself.

(I'm a bit of a hypocrite here, there are a couple of things that I just flat-out get rid of but I try to save everything I can. Sometimes the best thing to do for me is to just burn a few terrible things. There are still tons and tons of drawings that are really embarrassingly bad, but save for the absolute worst of the worst, I keep them all. Eh, I bend the rules sometimes.)

With me, everytime my drawing style improved/change, I'd chuck out all my previous works. And I really mean ALL.

And my problem with arts isn't that I'm talentless. I just don't often have the motivation to complete an artwork, so almost all my drawings are unfinished.
Mad Poster
#366 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 8:32 PM
DigitalSympathies - Now it's my turn to tell you that your inbox is full

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#367 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 10:36 PM
I'm getting sick and I got a C on my math assignment -.-
Scholar
#368 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:47 AM
Really are people getting that stupid they don't understand the question "What is your name"?

Top Secret Researcher
#369 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:13 PM
So I thought downloading SimPE would be awesome. But now every frickin' Sim download is under SimPE as the type. UGH! Its irritating!

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Top Secret Researcher
#370 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 3:19 AM
I was leaning forward and a creepy guy at work got to see down my top! NO... no cleavage for you!
Theorist
#371 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 3:29 AM
Just took my engineering maths final exam, and found that ALL the long questions (the ones that have the most marks) were about topics I'm not too familiar with. And that's practically 40 marks off my exam result. The weightage of this paper is 60%, so it practically determines my score for this stupid module.
Lab Assistant
#372 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 4:47 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, and VDT, I'll be sure to check that book out(lucky for me the library has it).

Note: If people started questioning where I learned to draw my...*cough* "obscene" pictures, I'll lead them right back to you all.

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Scholar
#373 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:24 PM
I always get nosebleeds this time of year, but they're just really annoying this time around. My left nostril has been bleeding for four days- just fast enough to feel like a runny nose and just slow enough to not really drip anywhere and make a mess, but fuck it's really irritating. Ughhh. I can taste it.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#374 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 3:44 AM
I gave my chihuahua a bath and she's shaking like she is going to freeze to death... even though it's almost 40°C.

Oh and the shape of her apple face means water drains off her head into her nose and she suffocates.

fyi the other not-fully-chihuahua is fine.

But I stuck my fingers in their ears to wipe out the slime so I got covered in water, fur and slime residue. Now all of that has absorbed into my skin and I need a shower.

But our bathroom is upstairs and collects heat so it's probably 43°C in there.

I choose to sit in my filth.
Lab Assistant
#375 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 5:00 AM
I've been sick with bronchitis and the flu for over a month now and I want to make chicken quesadillas for dinner but can't due to my stomach being an asshole =[
having MS sucks because my immune system doesnt work anymore. so basically I'm sick because I'm sick.

also I'm sick of seeing snow, sick of winter, I want spring to get here dammit!

is proud not to be a fracking idiot

Simmerful on Tumblr

Simmerful Downloads
Locked thread | Locked by: jhd1189 Reason: Please use the new thread!
Page 15 of 47