Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 5:56 PM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 3rd Jul 2017 at 7:52 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night, Generations, Showtime, Supernatural, University Life
Default ***cannot Use Mods Or Cc Please Assist***
So i have the base game, late night, supernatural, university life, high end loft, and generations. all bought through walmart or origin except for generations bought through steam. So i have previously used mods and know how to place them and all that. HOWEVER they are no longer working!!! the game will not start when i have the resource.cfg file installed. once i remove it the game is fine but i honestly cannot play without my mods lol... ive deleted the cache and the thumbnails and nothing works. deleted and reinstalled all the mods including the resource.cfg file. not getting any help from the sims 3 fb group. can someone please assist me? issue started around the same time i bought generations (not sure if that helps any) thought maybe there were corrupted files somewhere but cannot locate them i am having serious withdrawals... when i try to open the game with the resource file it plays through the intro the issue is when it goes to the loading screen it says the sims 3 has stopped working...
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nirvanaaddict91
So i have the base game, late night, supernatural, university life, high end loft, and generations. all bought through walmart or origin except for generations bought through steam. So i have previously used mods and know how to place them and all that. HOWEVER they are no longer working!!! the game will not start when i have the resource.cfg file installed. once i remove it the game is fine but i honestly cannot play without my mods lol... ive deleted the cache and the thumbnails and nothing works. deleted and reinstalled all the mods including the resource.cfg file. not getting any help from the sims 3 fb group. can someone please assist me? i am having serious withdrawals... when i try to open the game with the resource file it plays through the intro the issue is when it goes to the loading screen it says the sims 3 has stopped working...

Sounds like a conflict somewhere. You may need to uninstall your mods in small groups until you can pinpoint the culprit and go from there.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 6:10 PM
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 7:51 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2017 at 8:15 PM
As far as I know you cannot mix origin and steam versions as they use different file structures. Try un-installing the expansion you bought via steam and see if the issue is gone.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 3:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
Sounds like a conflict somewhere. You may need to uninstall your mods in small groups until you can pinpoint the culprit and go from there.
already deleted all of the mods. still only works when i delete resource file
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
As far as I know you cannot mix origin and steam versions as they use different file structures. Try un-installing the expansion you bought via steam and see if the issue is gone.
nobody told me that when i got it through steam. i will definitely try that now and thank you!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
did not work
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Jul 2017 at 2:11 PM
I think what @Vincent T. meant is that you cannot have the game installed through disc/Origin and Steam at the same time. You can take the code Steam gives you along with purchase, register it on Origin, and install it that way as that's okay to do. If you really do have the game installed twice on the same computer, one of them has to go. Probably they both have to go, registry cleaned, and then reinstalled on one platform only.

But if that's not what you had done and the install is really all disc/Origin, then I have to ask where are you getting this Resource.cfg file from? An outdated one, meaning from before Ambitions was released, would crash the game on current patch levels. And what is the exact path to your Mods folder? Can we see some screenshots of how you have this arranged?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I think what @Vincent T. meant is that you cannot have the game installed through disc/Origin and Steam at the same time. You can take the code Steam gives you along with purchase, register it on Origin, and install it that way as that's okay to do. If you really do have the game installed twice on the same computer, one of them has to go. Probably they both have to go, registry cleaned, and then reinstalled on one platform only.

But if that's not what you had done and the install is really all disc/Origin, then I have to ask where are you getting this Resource.cfg file from? An outdated one, meaning from before Ambitions was released, would crash the game on current patch levels. And what is the exact path to your Mods folder? Can we see some screenshots of how you have this arranged?
i did download everything through origin or downloaded from disk. i got the resource file from here. its the only one i could find. i dont know where else to get it skuld.modthesims.info/Resource.cfg and i had it placed in mods folder under packages but not in it. how do you clean the registry? i didnt download it through steam but i can try it anyways
Screenshots
Site Helper
#11 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 3:09 AM
Your screenshot is not showing the resource.cfg in Mods. It looks as though it managed to get itself lost. "Mods" is also all in caps.

Try http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip

Take your current Mods folder out, and then extract that to your Sims 3 folder. It has the Mods, Resource.cfg, and Packages folder all set up. Then you can move the contents of your Packages folder into the new one.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Your screenshot is not showing the resource.cfg in Mods. It looks as though it managed to get itself lost. "Mods" is also all in caps.

Try http://chii.modthesims.info/FrameworkSetup.zip

Take your current Mods folder out, and then extract that to your Sims 3 folder. It has the Mods, Resource.cfg, and Packages folder all set up. Then you can move the contents of your Packages folder into the new one.
so i cleaned my registry with cc cleaner and i installed this im gonna cross my fingers and try it
Screenshots
Instructor
#13 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 3:50 AM
It's not going to work like that, because you put the folder incorrectly. Look at my attached pictures to see how it should go. The "Mods" folder does not go in a subfolder, it has to be in the "The Sims 3" folder, and when you click it, it has to show the "Overrides" and "Packages" folder, along with the Resource.cfg file.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by velvetina
It's not going to work like that, because you put the folder incorrectly. Look at my attached pictures to see how it should go. The "Mods" folder does not go in a subfolder, it has to be in the "The Sims 3" folder, and when you click it, it has to show the "Overrides" and "Packages" folder, along with the Resource.cfg file.

the game opened when i had it like that but its no longer opening. its being a huge pain lol im going to try something
Site Helper
#15 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 5:48 AM Last edited by Ghost sdoj : 6th Jul 2017 at 3:00 PM.
I wasn't sufficiently clear.

Framework Setup does not go in the Sims 3 folder. The contents of the Framework Setup, exactly as they appear when you extract the folder, are what goes into the Sims 3 folder. Your old MODS folder needs to be removed from the game. The new framework from the Framework Setup replaces it.

Once that is working properly the CC that was in the old Packages folder in your old MODS folder can be moved over to the new one.

EDIT: And now that it's not 4 hours past my bedtime, I notice that I'm probably still not sufficiently clear.
First, the game has been known to be very picky about folder names. They do tend to be case-sensitive. "MODS" is not "Mods"
Copy your CC from PACKAGES, Move it somewhere safe, and then remove MODS from your game.

Now:
1. Download the Framework Setup. (You've done that.)
2. Extract the contents. (You've also done that.)
3. Open the folder. (You've done that)
4. Cut or Copy everything that was inside FrameworkSetup, and put it into the Sims 3 directory, exactly as it was when it was in the Framework Setup folder.
5. Add your CC into Packages.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I wasn't sufficiently clear.

Framework Setup does not go in the Sims 3 folder. The contents of the Framework Setup, exactly as they appear when you extract the folder, are what goes into the Sims 3 folder. Your old MODS folder needs to be removed from the game. The new framework from the Framework Setup replaces it.

Once that is working properly the CC that was in the old Packages folder in your old MODS folder can be moved over to the new one.

EDIT: And now that it's not 4 hours past my bedtime, I notice that I'm probably still not sufficiently clear.
First, the game has been known to be very picky about folder names. They do tend to be case-sensitive. "MODS" is not "Mods"
Copy your CC from PACKAGES, Move it somewhere safe, and then remove MODS from your game.

Now:
1. Download the Framework Setup. (You've done that.)
2. Extract the contents. (You've also done that.)
3. Open the folder. (You've done that)
4. Cut or Copy everything that was inside FrameworkSetup, and put it into the Sims 3 directory, exactly as it was when it was in the Framework Setup folder.
5. Add your CC into Packages.

ITS ALMOST DONE!!! just weeding out conflicting mods b ut otherwise its working!!! i appreciate your guys' patience with me through this. i would have taken care of this yesterday but a friend of mine committed suicide yesterday morning so i wasn't up to it. thank you all
Site Helper
#17 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 11:18 PM
((hugs)) to you and to the family of your friend. But I'm glad you got it working.