Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 11:36 PM
Default Pixelation of Texture
Hey guys! I need some help.

My object textures seem to get pixelated while in the game. But when you go to recolor the object, it looks very nice and smooth, but once out of CAS mode, it becomes pixelated again. Is there anyway to fix this? I'm working with TSRW, and it updates the texture size once I import my new textures, but it does look a bit pixelated in TSRW as well. Any help or comments would be more than appreciated! Thanks!
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 8:05 AM
Problems that are corrected after first visit to CASt can be caused by changing settings in the first preset without reflecting those changes to the LODs (masksize) and TXTC (image resourcekeys). However if it becomes bad again once exiting CASt (provided you *did* change something) then I have experienced that once or twice when I mapped a mesh too near the bottom edge of the map.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 1:47 PM
Thanks Inge! I did change something and still becomes bad after exiting CASt. I do tend to map my cars close the edges of my map, so I'll see if that will help.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#4 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 2:50 PM
Are you fully patched?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:24 PM Last edited by Fresh-Prince : 19th Feb 2012 at 4:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
Are you fully patched?

Yes. It seems to happen to all/most of the cars I've made, no matter when I've made them or what game version I have.

Edit: Actually, looking more into it, it seems to be more so my problem with how I texture. When I do go into CASt mode, it does look smoother, but it also looks like it reverts back to the original size of the map and makes everything blurrier. So I guess my real textures are pixelated, and it just appears smoother in CASt because it doesn't define the pixels as much. I could tell by looking at the things other than the car paint, in CASt they are much less detailed and more blurry. Although it still bothers me that I can convert the same car for TS2, and the texture looks very nice and smooth. I guess that's just how it's translated to TS3 to be able to freely recolor objects.

Example: In-game

In CASt:
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#6 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 5:11 PM
When did you notice this happening, was it after Pets?

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 5:28 PM
I mean I have seen pixelation of my textures before Pets, as I have only fully updated my game about 2 weeks ago, but it never seemed like this. It was normal pixelation so to speak, just as you can only go so far with the quality of the texture. So I would have to say yes. The pixelation was never that drastic like in the pictures I posted above. It has much larger pixels and more discoloration than I would say what I would normally see before Pets.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 3:44 PM
i had similar issues but it was caused by a new install of my graphic drivers(autoupdate)
After i installed the old drivers back all was fine again. i have the idea the game does not recognize a driver update unless you also install a new patch or EP.

This might sound strange but duplicate files also can cause blurry textures, check for duplicates with delphy's dashboard
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 2:45 PM
Hmm, i think it is a TSRW bug in one of the latest versions...
Just made a car with a later version and also have huge pixelation.
When i recolor the car and accept it is gone.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Hmm, i think it is a TSRW bug in one of the latest versions...
Just made a car with a later version and also have huge pixelation.
When i recolor the car and accept it is gone.

Thanks for the response! That does make sense as I installed the latest TSRW in order to edit the seating because I couldn't get s3pe's rig editing to work with Pets. Wonder if there's a work around for a earlier version of TSRW, and if it still has this problem.
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 1:35 PM
Atevera has made a new plugin for those RIGs:
http://code.google.com/p/s3pi-wrappers/downloads/list

I have 2 versions of each installed:
olderTSRW / s3PEx86 / old wrappers
TSRW / s3PE64bit / new wrappers

Edit,
I just looked at the release date and those are even newer then the ones i have installed(5feb2012)
Forum Resident
#12 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 12:04 AM
This is a long standing problem, not limited to cars. I find it's more noticeable when you have a full scale/detailed/extreme multiplier. I haven't found a way to get rid of it fully. I just try using smoother and depending larger, textures.

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Alchemist
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Morphead
This is a long standing problem, not limited to cars. I find it's more noticeable when you have a full scale/detailed/extreme multiplier. I haven't found a way to get rid of it fully. I just try using smoother and depending larger, textures.
I've never had a pixellation problem with my S3 objects until Pets. Now even some objects I made pre-Pets are coming in game pixellated when they weren't before. Some new objects are also even though I haven't changed how I make things. I think the pixellation is a bug with Pets tbh.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 7:03 AM
It's always been there for me as it's been an intermittent bane of my creation process. Either way, it's a nuisance I hope can be remedied.

Facebook | Currently On Hiatus | Twitter
Current Works-In-Progress: 0
Future Car | 2012 EA Cars | Car Parts | Jet Plane | Telephone Table | Concept Car
Traditional Bed Set | Living Set | 82 Slate Roofs | 1/2-Tile Kitchen Set | Distant Terrains | Kids Bedroom
Sockpuppet
#15 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 6:54 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 14th Apr 2012 at 9:33 AM.
I tried 4 of the tools(Nvidiaplugins, DXTBMP, DXTviewer, and ATI's compressonator.
Best results i had was with the compressonator.(however, this could be due the fact im having a ATI graphic card?)

I basicly opened and edited EA's multiplier with PS and saved it as 24bit bmp(if the original texture was a DXT1noalpha)
Each edit i saved as 24bit BMP till i was satisfied, then i opened that bmp with the compressonator, added the mipmaps and compressed it for DXT1noalpha.
Then i saved it as new multiplier.
Had no texture loss at all.(compared to EA's original.)

You should never edit the dds file, save, edit, save as dds because it will ruin your file.

The only problem i am facing now is to know wich filter is used for the mipmaps(box, d3d or d3dx) and with wat settings.(point, linear, triangle or box)
Besides that there are also the options dither, mirror pixels on texture edge and perform filtering in SRGB space......
If someone could give me some tips??

Edit,
But, no diffrence ingame sofar

The best fix sofar is to use the kinda metalflake pattern that comes with FL.
It mixes 2 colors and bringing them close together reduces the pixelation.

Screenshots