Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 6:04 PM
Default Reduce mesh polygons/vertices without loosing its shape
Heres my mesh with insane pollygons level(2616 vertices, 47388 triangles). When i reduce them using Direct X tool in Milshape it looks really bad. Is there any other way to reduce its polygons/vertices without loosing its primary (high quality) shape?

Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 9:28 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 11th Feb 2012 at 9:40 PM.
* check the ammount of polygons in the Tools/show model staistics, remember it or write it down!!!
* select the whole mesh and choose weld together from the vertex menu.
* again check the polygon count, it should be the same wile the vertice count usually drops.
* If the polygon count has been dropped you have welded faces/polygons together and that is not wat you want.
To avoid that use CTRL Z to go back and scale the mesh a bit bigger before using weld together.(in your case you prolly need to scale it 1000times bigger...or even more)

When you are able to weld the vertice together without changing the polygon count you move on:
* Tick autosmooth.
* go to Tools/direct x tool.
* reduce the polygon count.
* hit save button.

If you can not get it decent you might want to regroup the cushions/frame and buttons first into a seperate meshgroups.
Then weld them together.
Then use direct X tool.
Then use the Model cleaner.
Finetuning the normals you can do with Demon's alligne normals(MTS2)

When satisfied you need to unweld the vertice on necesarry seams:
* Tools/Model cleaner.
* click no on both popup windows.
* click ok on the last popup window.
This will split the seams with the uvmap meshcoordinates as reference.
* reimport skeleton and reassigne boneweights if necesarry
Instructor
#3 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 12:35 AM
Did you make this chair yourself or is it a 3d model from a website?
If you made it yourself there is no need to have so many vertices and faces for that mesh to look decent, it looks to me you went crazy with the smooth tool.

Having 26156 vertices and 47388 faces for a chair sounds more like it came from a 3d model website where polygon count don't matter.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 8:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
Did you make this chair yourself or is it a 3d model from a website?
If you made it yourself there is no need to have so many vertices and faces for that mesh to look decent, it looks to me you went crazy with the smooth tool.

Having 26156 vertices and 47388 faces for a chair sounds more like it came from a 3d model website where polygon count don't matter.

Most creators take their stuff from the net Dee and adjust polycount.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 7:54 PM
Hey bloombase thats for reply. I downloaded this mesh from a website. It was originally 3ds file so thats why its so high on pollys. I tried this what you had written here and the mesh looks horrid again (i only reduced the cushion to 5000 pollys and it has some weird holes in it). I think it isnt possible to get this done... I followed the steps but the mesh turned out even worse. Here are the shots:

I have another question. In the third picture there is no mesh of an object and when i click on direct x tool and reduce pollys, the mesh stays the same as well as the pollys.. (I had hit save)
Anyways i uploaded the obj file if you think you can fix it for me. Please try...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2kh6cqke12deayo
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 8:14 PM
i would trash the chair, it isn't uvmapped properly either.
Did manage to take down the polycount(8400/5300), here is the file.
http://www.mediafire.com/?o0o90g0wcxfaj16

The other object is really simple to create yourself, a great object to get started.
It is nothing more then a cilinder with a few extra stacks, onlt top and bottom you need to reuvmap.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 8:28 PM
Wow, such a fast reply ! Thanks for trying to help me, but i think im gonna trash the chair as you said... I also have problems with UV mapping because i just know how to convert objects from sims 3 to sims 2. I have been mapping meshes with milkshape 3d in Texture Coordinate Editor. Is there any tutorial how to map with some other program? I tried downloading UV mapper on their official website but when i install it it doesnt work...
In what programmes do you mesh BloomBase?
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 8:34 PM
I UVmap and mesh with Milkshape, been doing this for 8 years now.
I have 3ds Max, Blender and Zmodeler but only use those to convert the files.
Love Milkshape as it is so simple and user friendly.
Sometimes i use Blender to bake a texture
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Most creators take their stuff from the net Dee and adjust polycount.

I thought it was the other way around Bloom, most creators do their own meshes.
I certainly do and I think it's very misleading to take a model from the web and claim it as once own.

It's a bit like cheating, taking credit for something someone else did.

Sockpuppet
#10 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 6:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
I thought it was the other way around Bloom, most creators do their own meshes.
I certainly do and I think it's very misleading to take a model from the web and claim it as once own.

It's a bit like cheating, taking credit for something someone else did.

I know for sure most do it exept Clothing, those are usually created by existing EA meshes.
Take the vehicles for instance, there hasn't been a creator who made a car him/herself.
As long as you mention were you got or who made the mesh i personal have no problems with downloading and using stuff from others.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 8:41 AM
As a side note, if someone makes something using a mesh/textures/anything that someone else made originally (in whole or in part), and wants to upload it on MTS, they -must- provide credit and a link to the original creator and they have to either have permission, or the site they link to has to show that the creator doesn't mind their stuff being used like that (with a posted policy). If a creator neglects to do this and posts an item they've based on something someone else has made without credit to the original creator, we consider that stealing and a creator gets one chance - if it ever happens again, they are no longer welcome to upload here, and depending on the particular situation, they may end up banned entirely. Stealing is not okay, but there's no problem with reusing something someone else has provided for that purpose, as long as you're honest about it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 9:53 AM Last edited by zvezdan : 17th Mar 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Hysterical, i said that that mesh wasnt mine, i dont think i would brake those rules But take Stylist sims or Desdren for the instance.. I saw "their" meshes on the internet to be downloaded for free. They claim they had made them themselves but they just downloaded it and reduced polys...
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 2:13 PM
Quote:
As a side note, if someone makes something using a mesh/textures/anything that someone else made originally (in whole or in part), and wants to upload it on MTS, they -must- provide credit and a link to the original creator and they have to either have permission, or the site they link to has to show that the creator doesn't mind their stuff being used like that (with a posted policy)

if that is MTS2 policy you can take down all the cars on this site. :P
And wat about EA's stuff?

Most take their stuff from 3d model sites, so do i occasionally.
On those sites there is hardly any info on who created the mesh and if it can be used by others.
Only thing you can do is link to that site but alot of them(like Google warehouse for instance) are full of stolen goodies, either custom made by others or taken from other games.
People dont give a damn these days, if you upload something consider it gone(even copyrighted stuff)
Instructor
#14 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zvezdan
I saw "their" meshes on the internet to be downloaded for free. They claim they had made them themselves but they just downloaded it and reduced polys...

That's the problem, how many creators have you seen who actually admit that they are using 3D models ... not many, I can count them on one hand.

So they accept praise for something they didn't do themselves, must be some kind of ego trip.

zvezdan, sorry for derailing your thread but my suggestion is that you learn to mesh yourself, that way all the praise you get will be for your own work and not someone else.

Bloom, I hope you're wrong, it would be very disappointing to find out that most creators don't have the talent for meshing I thought their had.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 9:03 AM
Im sorry for going off topic, but since this thread is active im gonna post a question here... Is there any way to force sim animation to move down from a higher(regular) to a lower bed level.. Here is the shot:

Sockpuppet
#16 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 11:09 AM
yes, you need to edit the RIG file and lower the transformjoint
You can do this with S3PE and Atevera's plugin
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 12:56 PM
Ok that words mean nothing to me? How can i do that myself? Is there any tutorial?
Field Researcher
#18 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
if that is MTS2 policy you can take down all the cars on this site. :P
And wat about EA's stuff?

Most take their stuff from 3d model sites, so do i occasionally.
On those sites there is hardly any info on who created the mesh and if it can be used by others.
Only thing you can do is link to that site but alot of them(like Google warehouse for instance) are full of stolen goodies, either custom made by others or taken from other games.
People dont give a damn these days, if you upload something consider it gone(even copyrighted stuff)

The same goes with the majority of ragdolls and other props for Garry's Mod in Facepunch and elsewhere. Most of them were lifted from various other video games, and yet I haven't heard of some developer issuing a cease-and-desist order against them. It's a different story in GTAForums, though.

As for the mesh, my best be would be recreating it by hand. As far as I'm concerned no filter or tool can reduce polygons on stuff like that without ending up having borked geometry.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 10:19 PM
I am the the creator at awesims (elsewhere known as sarah or sixtyten), and I'd appreciate being removed from the list of people who release models from 3D websites. I do and always have created my meshes from scratch and have worked very, very hard to build my skills in 3D and find it extremely rude and hurtful when people accuse you of something without giving any evidence whatsoever.

Free downloads by me at AweSims | www.sixty-ten.net
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 11:28 PM
Sarah i was just guessing. Sorry. My mistake... I thought that because i've seen many models of the stuff you've made on the net.