Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 12:34 AM
Strange Shadowing + Missing Transparencies?
Right now I'm trying to make some new objects, and I'm running into two issues:

The rails have strange diagonal shadow through the center:

Closeup view showing the discoloration:

Note that there are no shadows being cast onto the object from any other object. It should have a continuous coloration like in the pre-Sims 3 shots below. This shadowing doesn't show up in 3ds Max or Milkshape. I don't think it shows up in TSRW either.

The rail transparencies don't appear on one side, and the side walkways are invisible on the other side:
Milkshape:

From below:

TSWR:

Sims 3:

From below:

For some reason the transparency is different throughout all of them.

The object workflow is 3ds Max -> Milkshape -> TSRW.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Apr 2016 at 12:33 PM
For the alpha channel with missing underside, that's actually "normal", it's how Sims 3 understands alpha channels. To have both up & under sides, you need to duplicate that part of the mesh and, in Milkshape, use "Face/Reverse Vertex Order", then, "Align Normals" (everything that looked white will looked black and vice-versa)
WARNING: you need to duplicate the part you want, delete the rest, make what I explained above, then reimport the mesh. Last, group them together.
For the transparency, as I wrote you yesterday by PM, check the AlphaThresehold (under Mesh/Materials), it must be around 100-200 (in any case 0). I had also asked you if your base mesh had a alpha channel map.

For the shadow problem, check the occluders in TSRW (under lights). But it might come from big objects (something TSRW doesn't handle so well), but I'm not familiar with the problem.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2016 at 12:57 AM
@ATS Sandy

Thanks for the tips! I managed to fix the missing underside, but I still encounter problems under the transparency- I have an alpha channel assigned to my textures, but when I set the AlphaThreshold to anything above 1, the object simply disappears! The shadow issue still persists; I don't know what causes it.

I have the files uploaded if anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks,
Jje1000
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Apr 2016 at 12:28 PM
Silly question, but where have you uploaded the files? I wanted to have a look, but see nothing attached to your posts.