Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2016 at 4:54 PM
Default Employee visiting their own workplace
Hi, this is probably a stupid question but, when a sim visits a business that they work at what happens? Does the game generate a random townie or are they just missing? I want to start a new neighbourhood where a lot of my sims work for other sims and was wondering about this situation, especially if, for example, they're the chef at a restaurant but they want to go there for food. Who would cook the food? Maybe I'm being obtuse here

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th May 2016 at 5:04 PM
I think this is a rather good question. Honnestly, I must have send sims to their work place in the past, and I do not remember what happens then. lol
But you surely can, and my guess would be that the game will generate a Chef for you. Anyway, one will be generated if you do not assign a sim of your own, hire one etc...when you visite a lot. same for clerks.
It is something to test out indeed!
Unfortunately, in my newly created Hood, I have yet to make any business, but I will eventually, so I will test this. You might get results before I do though.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2016 at 5:20 PM
Same here, I haven't even started my new neighbourhood so thought I'd see if anyone here knew the answer! I would have thought the game generates one but you never know. Thanks for your help
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th May 2016 at 5:45 PM
There does not actually have to be a chef at a restaurant, only that stove and waiters, I believe, so a chef may not be generated.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2016 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
There does not actually have to be a chef at a restaurant, only that stove and waiters, I believe, so a chef may not be generated.

Oh, really? Even if it's a restaurant owned by a sim? In that case though what would happen with cashiers because you definitely need those?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th May 2016 at 8:42 PM
Nothing. It acts as though they are going to work. The staff won't appear unless you call them in, and you can't interact with the business in a normal way, only as a manager.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th May 2016 at 8:44 PM Last edited by Toxic_Avenger : 30th May 2016 at 9:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Nothing. It acts as though they are going to work. The staff won't appear unless you call them in, and you can't interact with the business in a normal way, only as a manager.

Okay, so a sim employee can't visit their workplace and buy things etc then? That's a shame

ETA: Just checking that you know I mean the playable employee not business owner?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th May 2016 at 10:39 PM
Owned businesses do not generate any NPC's, so that chef if he arrives at the place he works, there will be no chef.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st May 2016 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Owned businesses do not generate any NPC's, so that chef if he arrives at the place he works, there will be no chef.

Okay thanks, so I guess I'll just use the 'control this sim' mod to make a different employee be chef, server etc then. I can hire extra employees too and it won't be a problem, as I don't actually play the businesses I just have them there for my playables to visit. Thanks for your help!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st May 2016 at 5:28 PM
Oh right. Actually I have done that too. The sim who was assigned that job last is in that place. The employee who is visiting won't be replaced, though, so their post is empty and useless. And the manager never appears in an assigned position, but they will be there, just walking around.

If you had a set up like this:

Adam owns a store and is the manager. He sometimes operates a second till to give Bill a break.

Bill works on the till.

Clare restocks.

Dave is in Sales.

If Adam visits, the store is not functional, it's in "work mode".

If Bill visits, he can look around but there will be no cashier.

If Clare or Dave visit, they can look around and buy things as any customer would and Bill will ring up the purchases for them.

Is that clear?

Scholar
#11 Old 31st May 2016 at 9:01 PM
@simsfreq

That is exactly how it works, indeed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st May 2016 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Oh right. Actually I have done that too. The sim who was assigned that job last is in that place. The employee who is visiting won't be replaced, though, so their post is empty and useless. And the manager never appears in an assigned position, but they will be there, just walking around.

If you had a set up like this:

Adam owns a store and is the manager. He sometimes operates a second till to give Bill a break.

Bill works on the till.

Clare restocks.

Dave is in Sales.

If Adam visits, the store is not functional, it's in "work mode".

If Bill visits, he can look around but there will be no cashier.

If Clare or Dave visit, they can look around and buy things as any customer would and Bill will ring up the purchases for them.

Is that clear?

Crystal clear, thanks! I could use 'control this sim' to direct one of the staff working if I need them to perform a duty that my playable sim would normally do. Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 2:02 PM
I don't believe so because the lot is in visitor mode, not manager mode.

Scholar
#16 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 2:43 PM
It is a fact! If you visit the lot as a customer (even though the sim in question works there), you can not operate the cash register. So I agree with @simsfreq, here.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 3:17 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 1st Jun 2016 at 3:29 PM.
It was an educated guess

But sometimes you can have a sim "work" on community lots - they can tend bars and be a barista, it doesn't have to be a university subhood. I think I might have seen a sim be able to take over an NPC cashier's role for money as well, but I can't be certain because I might be getting mixed up with owned businesses.

Scholar
#20 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 4:01 PM
I knew about having your sim fill in for a barista, but I didn't know that they could also replace the bartender. On the other hand, there is also good money to be made having your sim fill in for the DJ. Just visit any locale where there is a DJ booth, click said booth, and select "Be the DJ" or something to that effect.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 1st Jun 2016 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Well, I have experience with sending Sims to work as baristas and bartenders in the main neighborhood, and that habit of mine may continue as I play my current medieval neighborhood. So, I'm fairly certain that works.

I've seen that the creator of Ledesia (on YouTube Let's Play) that she would teleport Sims to community lots and use the community lots as custom workplaces.

I often send my journalist down to the town hall which has a media office, while he is employed there I can also go with him and have him write articles.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~