Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 7:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night, Generations, Supernatural, Seasons
Default Help Improving Live Performance? Save Cleaners and Merging Packages?
Hello, lovely MTS people! You've been so kind and helpful to me in the past that I'm returning to ask a few basic questions about improving my game performance. Of course, I have been doing research on this, but I was hoping you could help clarify a few points.

First, it may be helpful to let you all know what I have done so far to protect my game: I use Delphy's Dashboard Tool to check my .package files, I use several sterling nraas mods (Overwatch, Errortrap) to stabilize my gameplay, and I always back up my Sims 3 folder. I also always clear my cache files before every play session, delete everything but ccmerged in DCBackup, and delete the chaff in FeaturedItems. My total file size for my active Sims 3 folder right now is sitting at around 20GB because of old saves and oodles of custom content, which is split pretty evenly between sims3packs and .packages.

My game is starting to lag and stutter during live play, not horrendously, but severely. I'm trying to think of ways to smooth it out, and after reviewing some options, I've decided to merge my .package files via S3PE (my packages folder is 5GB with over 1200 unique files inside, so I hope this consolidation will help), delete sims' memories and install a mod blocking the formation of more, delete old saves, and try a save cleaner.

-- Is Kuree's Save Cleaner still considered the standard save cleaning program? Or is it unsafe to use at this late date in the game's existence, considering it was released years ago (http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1532/ )? Would 2.2 be the version I want, do you know?

-- Will merging my .package files truly increase performance? I've heard it will... but you guys really know your stuff, so I wanted to confirm it with the "experts." I know of at least one player with a 15GB mod folder who claims to have no lag after merging .packages (excluding skins, mods, and other non-mergeables, of course). I guess my worry is that because I have installed so much CC via the Launcher also that I might not see a big improvement... And how big should a merged file be? I've heard everything from "no more than 200MB!" to "no more than 700MB!"

-- Is there anything else I can do to stabilize and smooth out my game?

Thank you all so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate being able to bring my questions to you here. :lovestruc
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Nov 2015 at 11:44 AM
Thank you very much, nitromon! Some of the things you suggested I would never have thought to do, like using MC to manage inventory... I've never done that! I'll have to experiment with it back in game. I didn't know that about cache files, either, and I've never defragged my harddrive -- ever. I'm going to look into it.

Here is my deviceconfig (https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdpple7ve...Config.rar?dl=0)

In the meantime I am also in the process of sorting out my .package files for merging. I really hope that process is going to be helpful in reducing lag, although I'm still a little fuzzy on how big each merged file should be (advice on this varies a lot). I've also heard that what's important isn't their file size, necessarily, but the number of files in the mods folder. I think I read that on nraas.

I wonder if some of the lag could be coming from my s3p files, too, but it's too late to do anything about those as they're installed now. I did download Custard, though, so going forward i will be vigilant.

I should note that my lag is less intense in Build/Buy mode, and in CAS (although items take quite awhile to load in). It's worst in live mode, and its noticeable (if less severe) even in new saves.
Test Subject
#5 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 12:41 AM
I actually tested out merging packages extensively over the last few weeks when I was cleaning up my cc. In my opinion, the limit would be no more than 200 mb BUT I have noticed, especially with clothing, that even that can cause some issues like absent textures or odd coloring. Hairs can get this weird shine to it, too. I'm guessing the IMG files get squished and jumbled in the merge.

Anyways, 200 mb is good! You really just have to do a little at a time. Merge a few items and then add a bit more until you reach just under 200 mb. Then test. That's how I do it. I've even gone over 200 mb and have merged a package that was 800 mb just to see how far I could push it. Again, I just did a few at a time and built up to it.

I have also noticed that one big merged package file can take awhile to load whereas several smaller merged packages, equal in size, would load up the game slightly faster. But maybe that was just me.