Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Banned
#101 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 2:13 AM
\ETA: I meant Extensa, not maxon, but maxon beat me to posting. Anyway, Extensa's comment annoyed me. G'day.

It's cute. And it freaks me out when she's holding him.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 6:40 AM
I'm gay IRL and love that my relationships don't have strict roles to follow, however my most recent relationship did. It followed the butch/femme dynamic mostly because she's trans (FTM), though still pretransition and using female pronouns. In my game I had us as a lesbian couple with her in a slightly more masculine role, though only outward appearance wise (clothes, makeup, hair). We did whatever jobs and social roles or interests we wanted. We each had one of the bio kids (hack) mostly because I wanted to see what would happen genetically. IRL, there would be no way she'd have a baby. In so far as I can speak for the rest of my community (ie not really), butch/femme still exists but has strong connections to trans and other gender non-conforming stuff. Stone Butch Blues is a great read if you're interested.

My game has all sorts of couples in all sorts of roles. But.......

- Usually a nanny is hired for the infant days and both parents go back to work. The toddler days are when I use the extra parental vacation. It is taken by whomever makes less money or least wants career advancement according to my storyline or their LTW. I have a Tour Guide family aspiration dad who stays home with the toddler while the knowledge Mom is a senator. With couples who have more than one child, they'll frequently take turns staying home for toddler years, ie. firstborn gets parent 1 and secondborn gets parent 2.

- Men don't have 3 day pregnancies unless it's aliens (I figure if we have aliens at all then there's some way it happens). If a 2 male couple do want bio children, then I have them get pregnant together but use hacks to make the birth immediate. Then I pretend in my storyline that a surrogate was hired who looked exactly like one of the men, or a surrogate was used with new futuristic technology that allows combining male DNA. Either way, he doesn't waddle around. There is just an imaginary incubator sim you never see.

- Cleaning is done by a maid, all in one NPC (male or female), or in poorer families anyone who's handy does it. Right after you pee is an okay time to clean the toilet. Last one eating cleans dishes and puts away leftovers, although some members already cleared their plates themselves. Cooking is done by the hungriest or the all in one NPC.

- Hardly ever are adult sims unemployed, but the one I have now is the father. He raises the toddler, farms the produce/fishes, and on his wife's days off (so she can stay with the tot) he opens the family business which is a Produce Market.

- Everyone of the current generation (except a couple ultra traditional people) keeps their own last name when married. One way I'm gendered is that children get either the father's last name or a hyphenated last name. I use hyphenated less often than I'd like because I'm not sure how to continue it. When Eli Baker-McReary marries, how do you do the children's names? Do they get 3? Or even 4 if he marries someone who also has a hyphenated last name? Anyone? Single mothers usually pass on their last name to the children.

- All affection is initiated by whoever does on their own (ACR) or by whoever rolled the want.

But discovered I do have power roles that are gender based if I look carefully. Hotel check-in is the perfect example I just realized the other day. The vacation was booked by whoever rolled the want, but the check in at the desk is done based on an age/sex hierarchy. If grandparents come, grandpa checks in or grandma if only she is there. If there is a straight couple, the man does the checking in. In a gay couple it is the older spouse who checks in or the more "masculine" one, if those roles have been assigned. About half of my gay couples have a more masculine person. An adult and their teen child it will be the adult who checks in. It is so funny that in a game I try to remove gender roles from I would find a system I created myself.
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 7:14 AM
In regards to the heart fart thingy, While I understand the whole hidden memory thing, and why it happens from a player's perspective, for me at least when I'm playing the game, I tend to "Ignore the man behind the curtain." or to put it more plainly I don't like thinking about the mechanics of why these things occur, as I feel that that kind of puts a damper on the magic of the game itself. (Hoping my phrasing doesn't offend Maxon or anyone, because while as a player I am fascinated by how the game does what it does when I play I try not to think about that but just enjoy the game itself)
Lab Assistant
#104 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 9:12 AM
Quite a lot actually
Mostly female sims in my game do the cooking/flower making and males do the repairing/working on the car thingy. Some spoilt princesses like Tybalt Capp's daughter obviously will never make a cup of ramen. Her hubby'll do all the cooking. Generally, there are quite a few housewives and I've only had one househusband so far. Mostly fishing is a male hobby in my game.

Some girl sims become tomboys and work on the junk car and/or robot bench. (usually the ones with 8 or more active points). Although some elder male sims do take up gardening or toy making. But it only happens in the post-retirement years.

I don't stop males or females to get any particular job. (That's because it would become too inconvenient for me as a player to manage.) But many activities like financial consulting, stargazing, painting or writing are above sexism.

From what I've observed, it just feels realistic to me. I really don't meant to offend anyobody.
Banned
#105 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 9:26 AM
Role-reversal!

Since I always get a lot of disagrees on whatever I do on this site, I just feel like someone is going to disagree with this.
Screenshots
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#106 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deryn
In regards to the heart fart thingy, While I understand the whole hidden memory thing, and why it happens from a player's perspective, for me at least when I'm playing the game, I tend to "Ignore the man behind the curtain." or to put it more plainly I don't like thinking about the mechanics of why these things occur, as I feel that that kind of puts a damper on the magic of the game itself. (Hoping my phrasing doesn't offend Maxon or anyone, because while as a player I am fascinated by how the game does what it does when I play I try not to think about that but just enjoy the game itself)

Oh no offense at all - I just wanted you to know (I teach, don't y'know. Hard habit to shake off). How you interpret what you see is entirely up to you - your game, your story. You're right, if you interpret the heart-fart thing your way, that it can open up some unexpected story-lines.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#107 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 4:57 PM
If something as simple and sweet as this freaks you out, 5MOK3, I think you need to toughen up! A real man never worries about whether his behavior is "masculine" enough. Also, observe the convenient positions of their mouths. All they have to do is turn their heads a teeny bit...

Harris and Gabriella Hawkins, nee Newson

Ernest and Sage Ann Munny

Pigeon Hawkins and Ezekial Gavigan, at college. All blissfully happy.

(Yes, I have way too many pictures of this cuddle, regardless of who's in which place, in my storytelling folder. It provides a good opportunity for the kinds of deep, serious conversations couples have best in bed. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

One may judge from the animations for engagements, sucking face, etc., that the animators assumed that these actions would be initiated by the more masculine half of the couple, so the fact that the top spoon is always the one lying on his or her back in this cuddle, and the person who initiates woohoo is always bottom spoon, would seem to indicate that the animators didn't think of the cuddle as being gendered.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 9:22 PM
In sims, because parenting is so hard, usually both parents look after th house and both usually have jobs. I play pleasantveiw and Mary-sue (my all time fave sim ever) has her own business that is now a rank 5!

And the proposing never bothered me- but my sister would get annoyed when I made a man and woman make out on a chair and the man was on the womans lap. Lol :D

also, about the woman taking the mans last name. I have never practiced that because I only choose the better surname. So if it's a woman or man, the better surname will carry on! (eg. When lillith married Dirk, I chose for the pleasant name to carry on. Because I'm not sure gothicy Lillith could have a name like dreamer haaaah

Guess what cheese
Mad Poster
#109 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 9:54 PM
I mostly play hands off and control my sims as little as possible, so I like to think there's not a whole lot of sexism in my game. When ACR takes over, everyone leaps into each others arms and I just sit back and watch it all unfold. The few sims I do control are guided by their wants. If a female sim wants to be a Hall Of Famer or a Mad Scientist or a Criminal Mastermind, sure, go for it. If she's married to a guy who wants six children? He's doing the most of the upbringing. And maybe visiting a few aliens so that she can take a break.
Mad Poster
#110 Old 21st Nov 2011 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MarylenaSTAR
also, about the woman taking the mans last name. I have never practiced that because I only choose the better surname. So if it's a woman or man, the better surname will carry on! (eg. When lillith married Dirk, I chose for the pleasant name to carry on. Because I'm not sure gothicy Lillith could have a name like dreamer haaaah

I guess I see it a little differently, that since Lilith has such a bad relationship with her parents and sister, she would want to take Dirk's last name to "get away" from that name.

Angela usually marries Dustin, and Dustin's last name is changed to Pleasant, because they aren't broke anymore. (I always send them to college, and they usually start pretty high up the career ladder because of their college degrees).
Lab Assistant
#111 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 3:56 PM
That is interesting. After a bit of a look through my neighbourhoods I think I can safely say there's little to no sexism in my sim world. Sim mums and dads take turns looking after the kids. Proposals are made by whoever I've decided is the more confident - I don't want my sim ladies waiting around for Mr Super Shy to make the move! Skills tend to be divided between family members, so one sim will be the farming expert, or one the cooking genius, but these don't bear any relation to gender lines. I don't remember making a concious effort to make my game that way, it just kind of happened. I guess that's just the way I'd like the real world to be!
Depending on the neighbourhood I'm playing, last names are picked depending on the size of the families or on their skills. I have a late-post-apocalyptic rural neighbourhood, and last names for the inhabitants are mostly picked according to their profession (eg Farmer, Fisher, Potter etc) so I pick the last name of married couples based on that. For my more technologically enhanced neighbourhoods, I pick the last name depending on how many surviving members of each family they are, and how rare the name is - if John Smith is marrying Greta Billington, they're going to be the Billingtons from now on because there are soooo many Smiths.
I think partly it depends on what you use your game to do. If you like to play a super-realistic game that reflects your real-life experiences or whatever, chances are there's going to be sexism in it because unfortunately that's the way the world is right now.
Top Secret Researcher
#112 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 10:18 PM Last edited by StrangeTownChick : 24th Nov 2011 at 1:48 AM.
I confess, I often (if not always) do the girls' rooms in all pink and the boys' rooms in blue or green. It just seems, I don't know, right. I also keep boys and girls in their seperate bedrooms, because that's often how it is in real life (no teenage girl I know shares a bedroom with her little brother). I also only have women get pregnant, not men, but this is only because that is how it is in real life and I find the male pregnancy outfits kind of ugly. Same-sex marraiges happen, and when they do I usually have the couple have biological children thanks to a birth hack I have.
As for jobs and taking care of kids, I usually have both parents in any couple, regardless of gender or sexuality, get jobs, but try to make sure they're not both out of the house at the same time so whoever's home can take care of the kid (or, if they have a teenage child, that they're not both out of the house while the child is at school).
Mad Poster
#113 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 4:02 PM
Color-coding the room is nothing to be ashamed of, unless you treat it as an ironclad rule that no one should vary from. It's the sort of thing it's good to examine about your assumptions, because once you start examining your assumptions, doors start opening in your head and you discover whole rooms that you didn't know existed. Or maybe you'll suddenly realize that in this family, the girl rejects the pink violently and goes all gothy in rebellion.

In most of my families where kids share rooms there's a boy's room and a girl's room (which may or may not be color-coded depending on the culture of the parents), but in some - notably the Hawkinses - there simply wasn't room and even having assigned bedrooms was an exercise in futility. In America, in most families, sex division of rooms is the norm. I remember how shocked I was, when visiting a friend in middle school, to find her sharing a room with her little brother while her big brother had a room of his own. She treated it as normal, but I felt (and still feel) that she was being treated like a second-class citizen, possibly because she was adopted and a different race from the rest of the family. This was not the only thing in that family that made me feel that way, but I would like to emphasize that she did not seem to feel unloved or treated differently, so my own reaction doesn't mean much. Possibly the family culture was just one in which having a room of one's own was an age-based privilege. Whereas in my sim families, the oldest is likely to get a crib stuck into his room, so the parents can get some sleep!

I find my color-coding, when I do it, is either arbitrary and based on convenience, or based on coloration. For instance, when Sadie Hawkins and Clovis Point got pregnant at the same time, I bought two Freetime canopy cribs because I'd just gotten Freetime and was tired of using the Kinder Kontainers. Since those canopy cribs only come in pink and blue, I went with stereotypical color coding and decided that Clovis's kid would go into the blue crib and Sadie's would go into the pink crib. (I find it much easier, when there's two babies, to have designated cribs so I can keep track of who's where.) And then Sadie had a boy and Clovis had a girl, so the color-coding was reversed! They could only afford to build one extra room, which they decorated in a green soccer motif, and now, as a story point, Clovis is wondering how to manage two separate bedrooms when the kids outgrow cribs, and Sadie - scion of the most sexually relaxed clan in Drama Acres - doesn't see the point. Heather Beare's daughters have tended to grow up in frilly pink outfits, which suits her; until suddenly Cinnamon grew to child in a blue plaid skirt and green top! This makes her the rebel who rejects pink, but ultrafeminine Heather still controls the clothes shopping, so I figure there's battles royale in the discount clothes outlets and when I bought her a new outfit went for a "compromise solution" of red and white - which if you mix them together make pink. Since the sims themselves don't care, I figure we may as well get as much story out of these situations as we can.

What I do find myself doing is, preferentially dressing my white sims in cool colors (the Skirt family, in particular, has a major blue theme going on; every room in their house is blue, they wear blue clothes, etc.) and my brown and black sims in warm colors, primarily red but also orange and yellow. The exception is mixed-race sims with non-brown eyes and non-black hair. Sophie Miguel, with green eyes and brown hair, wears black and white almost exclusively, while Amber Dawn, with blonde hair and green eyes, and the Curian women, with red hair, wear mostly green. Only thoroughgoing uberblondes like Heather go in for pastels at all. But that's mostly my own aesthetic kicking in. I much prefer bright colors and contrasts to muted ones and earth tones.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 10:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I guess I see it a little differently, that since Lilith has such a bad relationship with her parents and sister, she would want to take Dirk's last name to "get away" from that name.

Angela usually marries Dustin, and Dustin's last name is changed to Pleasant, because they aren't broke anymore. (I always send them to college, and they usually start pretty high up the career ladder because of their college degrees).

lillith made up with Angela and Mary-sue however, (lots of time and effort into that) but not her dad. Everyone hates him after he had an affair on Mary-sue.

Guess what cheese
Lab Assistant
#115 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Um .... I've said it on here before and so I'll say it again but I think you won't like it. <deep breath> The heart-farting is not expressing a preference. It's a (hidden) memory - it might well be your sim's best friend's husband's memory where he's told your sim that he thinks his wife is hot. You'll see children heart-farting often about a parent - it's usually where one parent has gossiped at the dinner table about how s/he likes his spouse. Sorry.

I agree with you maxon to some extend - You can see some farting hearts while looking at someone - that means they are attracted to the person. If they are talking to someone and then you see the portrait of someone and the hearts farting - and right after the heart farting you see a little art-palette in a gold circle - then it is something they are telling (a gossip)- that some person (might even be themselves) is having attraction to the person whos portrait was shown. I do not know why "attraction" is this art-icon - but I found out in SimPE looking at memories that that was what it meant.
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
If something as simple and sweet as this freaks you out, 5MOK3, I think you need to toughen up! A real man never worries about whether his behavior is "masculine" enough. Also, observe the convenient positions of their mouths. All they have to do is turn their heads a teeny bit...

They are never doing this in my game (lying in each others arms) - only after their first woohoo on the cinematic scene. Is this something they do if you are having a specific EP? I know I still need 3 - Pets, Nightlife and Apartment Life.
So does this animation come with any of those?
Mad Poster
#117 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoozeegirl
They are never doing this in my game (lying in each others arms) - only after their first woohoo on the cinematic scene. Is this something they do if you are having a specific EP? I know I still need 3 - Pets, Nightlife and Apartment Life.
So does this animation come with any of those?

The "Cuddle" comes with Apartment Life, when couples cuddle in bed.
Mad Poster
#118 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 12:37 AM
That cuddle is almost worth the cost of AL all by itself. It doesn't always happen, and there's little variations in it, too; like sometimes hair-stroking and a kiss, so it never gets old. I remember the first time I saw it - Ernest and Sage Ann were in the residence they moved into for senior year and they hadn't even woohooed the night before. Sage Ann had stayed up late finishing her term paper or something and crawled into bed like they do, with little loving murmers and cuddling up into the spoon, and I had been enjoying how happy Ernest looked, when his energy bar filled up and suddenly he flopped over onto his back and pulled her into that snuggle before slipping out of bed without waking her up - SQUEEEEEEEE! Since that time I tend to save the game face-on to a sleeping loving cuddle so there's a chance that the first thing I get to see next session.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#119 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 2:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zoozeegirl
I agree with you maxon to some extend - You can see some farting hearts while looking at someone - that means they are attracted to the person. If they are talking to someone and then you see the portrait of someone and the hearts farting - and right after the heart farting you see a little art-palette in a gold circle - then it is something they are telling (a gossip)- that some person (might even be themselves) is having attraction to the person whos portrait was shown. I do not know why "attraction" is this art-icon - but I found out in SimPE looking at memories that that was what it meant.

Well, yes - the memory has to be formed at some point but my point is, heart-farting is generally not about attraction but about memory, especially when the object of the fart is not present - which is the situation I was responding to, if you'd read the thread. I don't know why they used the art-palette icon either but it's not the only odd icon for memory-related stuff. I'd guess it was a place-holder that never got replaced. There are, oddly, a lot of TS1 icons in the game files that you never see in game but you can see with SimPE.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 5:24 AM
Peni, interesting about your colour choices in clothing. Here are some of my loose and sometimes broken "rules":

- Unless it's a teen going through a stage, orange and yellow or fluorescents are only ever worn by darker skinned sims.
- Multiples are colour-coded and it stays consistent infant to teen. Bedding and all categories of clothes get assigned as such. As children it's often identical outfits in different colours. As teens they always get a specific "style" that differs as well as their colour. Once in a while this "styling" gets started in childhood.
- Getting to wear green is overwhelmingly more likely if the sim has green eyes and/or red hair and/or freckles.
- Blue-eyed sims get to wear a lot of blue and grey.

Also, the darkest few skin tones I have do not get combined with blond hair. Townies that come with Maxis 4 and blond hair get their hair colour changed to brown or black. If they have red hair and dark skin it gets changed to one of the Afro-ethnic styles or textures I have in red that are more like the reddish brown you actually see on dark skinned people of mixed ethnicity.
Lab Assistant
#121 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 6:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
That cuddle is almost worth the cost of AL all by itself. It doesn't always happen, and there's little variations in it, too; like sometimes hair-stroking and a kiss, so it never gets old. I remember the first time I saw it - Ernest and Sage Ann were in the residence they moved into for senior year and they hadn't even woohooed the night before. Sage Ann had stayed up late finishing her term paper or something and crawled into bed like they do, with little loving murmers and cuddling up into the spoon, and I had been enjoying how happy Ernest looked, when his energy bar filled up and suddenly he flopped over onto his back and pulled her into that snuggle before slipping out of bed without waking her up - SQUEEEEEEEE! Since that time I tend to save the game face-on to a sleeping loving cuddle so there's a chance that the first thing I get to see next session.

Awww Peni - I do understand why you say that these animation(s) are worth the price of AL. I must think of a way to get it !
This is something that I would go totally nuts over -- call me crazy - sometimes when they kiss or look at each other certain ways - I am sitting here with tears in my eyes.
Especially if the persons in question are some of my faves of course :p
Lab Assistant
#122 Old 25th Nov 2011 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Well, yes - the memory has to be formed at some point but my point is, heart-farting is generally not about attraction but about memory, especially when the object of the fart is not present - which is the situation I was responding to, if you'd read the thread. I don't know why they used the art-palette icon either but it's not the only odd icon for memory-related stuff. I'd guess it was a place-holder that never got replaced. There are, oddly, a lot of TS1 icons in the game files that you never see in game but you can see with SimPE.

maxon - I did follow the thread - but to me I could not tell in which of the two situation the other person was talking about. I just wanted to clearify that there were like 2 situations in heart-farting.

In the beginning I was playing - I misunderstood the memory way - and got confused when kids were sitting there at the dinnertable heart-farting. At some point the art-icon made me think that the person they were heartfarting about had painted a masterpiece and that was what they were talking about. Untill I sat there saying - no that person has never painted a masterpiece ! .. Not before I got SimPE did I fully understand what was going on.

I will be on the lookout next time I open SimPE to notice those TS1 icons that you are talking about ! I love to find new stuff making me understand more of the sims way of thinking.
Test Subject
#123 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 2:22 AM
I don't actively work to keep things even, but I think my sims are fairly equal when it comes to sex. My most mechanically-enclined sim is female. I think it looks cute when a male sim lays his head on a female's shoulder. I usually don't do mpreg, but I've just come up with a male couple and they're just so cute together I might have to test out the male maternity wear I downloaded. ^^
Page 5 of 5