Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
awful at this game? there are relatively few things to not do in order to avoid corruption. other than those, there is no wrong way to play this game.

I remember seeing posts on this and other forums by parents who let small children play one or the other of these games. Sims 1 was a more challenging game to play even for adults and required a bit more strategy. I think needs dropped a lot faster among other things. I remember when I got TS2 I noticed how much easier and simpler it seemed than the first game.

In TS2 children may have trouble keeping pregnant sims alive, keeping the social worker from taking babies and children, and I believe there was one instance where a child didn't understand how to put a roof on to prevent the sims from overheating or freezing. I distinctly remember a post (I think it was on the official forum) where a mother let her young daughter play a household. The daughter made a family in CAS with lots of toddlers, but didn't understand how to take care of them properly and burst into tears when "the mean lady took the babies away".
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 27th Oct 2016 at 10:05 PM
My older sister had Sims 1 and me and my brother and sister would sit and play it with her, usually way past our bedtime. Then somewhere along the line we switched from playing Sims 1 to Sims 2, though by that point she wouldn't really play it with us. We got each EP or SP when she got the new one, so we were always one EP behind but I didn't mind. Then eventually I drifted off and ended up playing Sims 3, but again I only got the EPs when my sister no longer needed that disc so I only played Pets and World Adventures before falling off the Sims train altogether for a bit, got back into Sims 3 around the time Sims 4 came out, got annoyed of the lag, and decided to try Sims 2 again. Bought some of the discs from Bookmans (since my sister sold all of hers), couldnt install them :/ got UC and back into Sims 2 again :D
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 4:27 PM Last edited by SuperSim64DS : 28th Oct 2016 at 8:41 PM.
When I was between 3-5 years, my cousin who visited my grandma from her home in Orlando was usually sitting on a bed using MySpace, play games, etc on her laptop. One day when I saw her there, I found out she plays The Sims 2, she made Sim versions of our family (she made me as a toddler) and I saw her game session. I was really fascinated about it so much that when I was 6 years old in 2010, my father bought me a DSi XL (Mario 25th Anniversary bundled with Mario Kart DS) with The Sims 3 for Nintendo DS. I was really hooked about it that I slowly abandoned my Thomas Trains and other toys. Then, my father took me to Best Buy and bought The Sims 2 Pets for Nintendo DS. I took it to my Aunt's house and spent all night playing it because it looked really fun. I finally got the PC version (The Sims 2: Double Deluxe) for my desktop in Christmas in 2010. Thats how my love for The Sims began.

I am the owner and streamer of Twitch Plays The Sims.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 5:10 PM
My daughter was playing Sims 1. She complained that she could not leave them alone because they set everything on fire I guess you could say arson was the motivation to get involved - and Sims 2 came out a while later.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 9:01 PM
I can't recall how I actually found it. I was around 10 or 11. I assume I found some YouTube videos and fell in love from them. I asked for it for Christmas and got Freetime, which meant I still couldn't play the game because I didn't have the base. It took a year of relentless searching, I have such an amazing mother, before I found Double Deluxe. During that year, or maybe before, I was able to play once because a friend of mine happened to have the copy and I coerced her to play with me lol. After that the searches continued to get expansion packs, but because this was already around 2008/9 when Sims 3 was coming out, most of the stores didn't have copies, so I only managed to get a couple. But my computer knowledge grew and I managed to find online copies of course. Nothing will ever beat the feelings I got though when I first started playing and each new expansion I got. Hell I remember how happy I was when I just had the unplayable freetime and just reading front to back the game guide and everything.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 8:44 AM
Lessee....

Soon after Christmas 2004, I wanna say just a few days, I'd gone out to spend some of my Christmas money. Well, my younger brother gave me some of his and asked me to pick up The Sims 2. When he got back, he spent most of the rest of that night playing it, with me wondering what was so... compelling about it.

Then I played it for myself.

RIP, life.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Mad Poster
#57 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 3:36 PM Last edited by gazania : 29th Oct 2016 at 9:49 PM.
This is kind of convoluted, and I have posted many posts on this before. And lately, I'm getting a little hefty with my posts. So let me sum up:

1. In the beginning, there was Animal Crossing. I was quite involved with the game (I had originally bought it for my daughter, and enjoyed it as well), and played it for some time. I had a fantastic reputation in the trading forums on a certain site. But I wanted something like this that had characters that better-resembled people. At the time, strange as it may seem, I never heard of The Sims, But in all fairness to me, I was out of the video game loop for quite a while, and The Sims had come out only about a year or so before.

2. Looking for a simulation game that didn't have characters with huge heads, I found The Sims 1 in a store that was going out of business. Console version of the game, in January of 2006. Loved it immediately. Went on to buy The Urbz from the same store. Pretty much left AC behind. (Still miss K.K. Slider songs, though!)

3. Read on the Internet that the PC version of Sims games were so much better. Sims 2 had come out a couple of years before and reviewers were praising it highly, so I thought I'd give it a try. Found a PC that could handle this game. Got hooked.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
#58 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 3:48 PM
I was on holiday visiting family; very boring. I was about 13/14 and probably quite annoying to everyone. The older girl (my uncles stepdaughter) took me into their computer room and set me up on sims 1 by the end of the holiday I was hooked she gave me the base game and as soon as i got home I loaded it onto our home computer and from there it's just spiralled. Then a year later sims 2 was released (I had a notification from EA) I won't play any other game than sims 2 now.!
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 6:49 PM
Probably through the Sims 1.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 8:38 PM
Today, I learned that our favourite townie Goopy may have Hispanic ancestry... 'Gils Carbo' is a Spanish surname.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 9:27 PM
I'd had the TS1 complete collection for a good while, and no real desire to upgrade while TS2 was still the "new kid," but at one point I was in an electronics store that was closing its doors literally the next day, and they were to the point where even the store shelves were for sale, and they were doing one of those "everything you can fit in a shopping cart for $50," so I was buying printer ink and office supplies and other random stuff, and since at that point it literally cost me nothing more than I would be spending already, I tossed the disks for TS2 Double Deluxe and University into my cart (only EPs that they still had).

In retrospect... Lucky me!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 10:16 PM
Lucky us as well - for the lots you build
Mad Poster
#63 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 12:12 AM
*looks at the title of the thread*

Uh oh I guess I misread it. Um... anyway, I had heard about Sims 2 on deviantart - especially the part about alien abductions making men preggers, but I didn't start playing it until around 2006 or 2007... though I absolutely LOVED that Depeche Mode simlish video with the robot being rejected by his human love interest.
Scholar
#64 Old 30th Oct 2016 at 11:32 AM
I do not know what year it was but I guess that the "hype" was dead and gone by the time I did order my first game. In other words, I was late as always. Of cause I had seen the (base) game and all of it's "add ons" in stores but I did not find it interesting enought. Well, as told, I did order the "Sims 2 Double Deluxe" from a online store but by then the game was quite old. It was an OK game and my old computer could run it so I did keep on playing. Since then I upgraded my computer hardware many times but I do still play the same hood and by now I do own a lot of EP's and SP's. I do not know how mush downloads I have but I guess it's far more then a GB. Then there are hacks and other stuff too. I still do find the game interesting and as long as my old hood works I will keep playing.
Instructor
#65 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 11:21 PM
Can't really remember but i've been playing since TS1, i think i may of seen it when i used to go in Game a lot with my dad when i was younger to look at games, probably it because he would let me have a game if he wanted to buy something but as long it was cheaper, i still got the Dogz and Catz 2.0 games lol although eventually he ended up buying me TS2 and some expansions when i really got into it, yeh that was most likely how i started playing.
Scholar
#66 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 10:45 PM
I think there was a leaflet in one of the Sims 1 expansions? Or maybe I read about it in a gaming magazine even beforehand.
Anyway, I was sceptical about the wants, fears and aspirations system, fearing the sims might be too independent from what I imagined their character should be. And death of old age was totally out of the picture for me; for the first couple of years I never let an elder die.
Upon loading the game I was awed: community lots in basegame already, wow! On the other hand there were some severe disappointments (perfectly fine children getting taking away for being left alone for two hours, forcing me to exit without saving, for example. Or toddlers hairstyles not being changeable and clothing for the next age had to be purchased before aging up, else the sim would be locked in the randomized outfit, making it "smell wrong", like not my sim).
I returned to Sims 1 for some time and had a hard time transitioning. I think by the time of OfB with the crafting stations I had done the switch for real.
Page 3 of 3