Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#426 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:19 PM
update: moving her out to clipboard and back in did nothing. she immediately reset her motives. .. sigh.

My Sims 3 Profile (IllusoryThrall) - My Sims 3 Blogsite
"Spectres of the Past" - a Nothing is Free/Apocalypse (modified) Challenge
"Castaway Shores" - a Nothing is Free Challenge
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#427 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wyldhawke

EDIT: so does that lot size adder work with mastercontroller and twallin's mods? anyone know? because that would be totally awesome.

Yep, it works fine, I have all Twallens. You have to have testingcheatsenabled and you put AddLotSize 20 15 (for example) and a new icon appears in the lot sizes box with those measurements. Ive placed a few and no problems.

Also, does anyone know the actual dimensions of the community buildings? Would be really useful to be able to plan a bit before playing, at the moment im having to put things higgledy piggledy all over the place looking for big enough lot space.
Lab Assistant
#428 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolfsbayne
Yep, it works fine, I have all Twallens. You have to have testingcheatsenabled and you put AddLotSize 20 15 (for example) and a new icon appears in the lot sizes box with those measurements. Ive placed a few and no problems.

Also, does anyone know the actual dimensions of the community buildings? Would be really useful to be able to plan a bit before playing, at the moment im having to put things higgledy piggledy all over the place looking for big enough lot space.

awesome, I'm going to have to pick that up. if nothing else, for the darn 40 by 30 lots I'm tired of having to slap into 40 by 40 lots.

LOL@ the higgledy piggledy.. I thought I was the only one who still used that phrase.. .. I know the already built ones in the lot bin have the lot size info on them.. are you asking about the actual rabbit hole buildings? if so, i've wondered that myself. finding the "right" lot size for building them is always tough, especially when space is at a premium in small towns!

(and I decided after the disappointment of not being able to fix Eugenia that I'm just going to keep working on my blog.. hehe.. so expect a chapter two and three post soon!) EDIT: going through memory scrapbooks is kinda fun.. and helps fill in the gaps for the times I forget to take pictures. I just upload the memory, then steal the picture from the sims site, upload, and add to blog. wa-la.. instant screenie I didn't actually take... .. ha.. I finally found a use for the silly Memory system spam! insta picture-taker!

Lab Assistant
#429 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 4:41 PM Last edited by wolfsbayne : 14th Mar 2012 at 6:09 PM.
lol - I wasnt sure that phrase would translate too well on here but thought it worth a try, my american pen pals love some of the things I come out with!

yeah, I meant the rabbit holes. Ive found this thread which seems to have most of the sizes

http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...25#startcomment

Ive created a lot 'check off list' and a word document with the rabbit hole sizes on

Checklist
Rabbit hole sizes

I don't know if anyone else will find them useful but feel free to download if they will help. I need to change the check list when I know the requirements for showtime lots, should be getting showtime in the next few days so will see what people think then.
Lab Assistant
#430 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 6:30 PM
oh those are awesome wolfsbayne. Definitely helpful to me, that's for sure. I'm so glad you found them! Oh, and I'm american.. but I tend to have all sorts of odd phrases I pick up, both from other cultures around the world as well as from my reading - I tend to be a rather avid reader - and my parents were very into teaching me and my sister to appreciate all cultures in the world (cultural festivals, etc). A good portion of the writers I read are "across the pond" as well as "down under" or .. well, pick a euphemism. They're everywhere.

Anyway. Break time from blogging. My eyes are going cross-eyed, I think. And I ended up having to split my "chapter two" idea into two of them because it simply got too long. Yikes. So... I guess I have enough for four chapters? Well, whatever. I'm going to go play for a while. But before I go: >> Chapter Two - Starting a Family << .. and .. >> Chapter Three - When is it ME Time?? <<

Field Researcher
#431 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 8:16 PM
lol - I wasnt sure that phrase would translate too well on here but thought it worth a try, my american pen pals love some of the things I come out with!

yeah, I meant the rabbit holes. Ive found this thread which seems to have most of the sizes

Ive created a lot 'check off list' and a word document with the rabbit hole sizes on

Checklist
Rabbit hole sizes

I don't know if anyone else will find them useful but feel free to download if they will help. I need to change the check list when I know the requirements for showtime lots, should be getting showtime in the next few days so will see what people think then.

TYTYTYTYTY for posting the link for this thread! it has been useful!
Lab Assistant
#432 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 9:11 PM
Well, I think my current legacy has become too glitchy to continue. I was getting a lot of funny little glitches like sims receiving royalties for books they hadn't written, non-active sculpting sims constantly sculpting thin air when around town, now none of my sims are getting any older. Im unsure why so im going to wait until ive received showtime (dispatched today so hopefully get it saturday) and then start again.

I might choose a world, play test it and then make a game plan. Fourth or fifth time lucky maybe?!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#433 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 9:13 PM
Avalikia, on the subject of mods .. would it be okay if I turned off Celebrities until I have lots that would have careers that are celebrity based, like film studio, or theatre? .. and can I turn vampires off until I have a vampire lounge? I hate the way vampires seem to take over towns and challenges when I'm not planning to use them - least not for quite a while in this town.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't consider that cheating at all.
Lab Assistant
#434 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't consider that cheating at all.

whew. nothing like random vampires walking around town to screw up a good storyline.

been playing since earlier, and going to get right back to it. Finally gave up for now on fixing little Eugenia. We'll see what happens when she grows up to teen. Apparently both couples are built like rabbits. Tried for baby with Chuck and Tuesday... nothing. However, the risky woohoo in the other cabin apparently worked just fine. So... errr... another brother or sister on the way.. and even worse, I just got fertility treatment for both Jessi and Dave.. this could be interesting.. Meanwhile.. Jessi has TWO wishes currently promised to have a baby (and both appeared since her last, the fourth baby) .. and Dave just rolled one too... After taking care of their little munchkin, Tuesday decides she's not getting any younger and rolls a wish for a baby of her own, too... so.. back to bed with her and Chuck.. this time the chimes sound.. two preggo chicks on the same lot.. again. I think both will give birth before the last infants age up to toddler no less... what is this, baby making factory?!? That's it. Ya'll are cut off. NO MORE WOOHOOS!! j/k .. i think. Current household count: four adults, three children (one at boarding school) one toddler (almost child) and two infants. Oh, and just to spice it up, Osprey has his imaginary friend following him everywhere, stalking him.. and plopping down right in front of whoever is trying to get somewhere anytime he goes to sleep. On a positive note.. skilling is going well, and I have almost earned my first lot (the fishing hole) - I finally got frustrated with lack of funds, and sent Dave off to painting.. of course, at the same time, all of a sudden minor pets started spawning too, so I'm almost up to being able to buy it. Now if Jessi would just stay un-preggo long enough to get the last half of level 9 of fishing done.... sigh. Back to playing!

edit.. oh for heaven's sake, his name is CLARK. why can I NEVER remember it?!

Scholar
#435 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 11:32 PM
Ugh I haven't played my legacy in days. I got into such a rut with my main legacy after it hit glitches and since its being featured in the SIMplified living magazine I don't want to give up on it so its taking up so much of my time.

Next update for the Evans SHOULD be up soon. But in case people missed it, I did update last week with the first chapter of Ellie's POV.

http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...e-is-ellie.html

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Lab Assistant
#436 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 12:16 AM
I added everyone's challenge blog links to my blogsite, in case you guys are interested. I found six of them ... and if I missed one, someone let me know and I'll add it, ok? .. eeps. back to playing!

Field Researcher
#437 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 4:15 AM

Checklist
Rabbit hole sizes

your spreadsheet is also very helpful! I just downloaded an empty twinbrook to do this. I have just the sim for it, though she needs a trait adjustment, or maybe i'll create a different one. but either way im gonna try it
Lab Assistant
#438 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 1:51 PM
Cool.

When I update it for showtime lots i'll put the skill headings on the second page too as I keep having to flick back and forth to figure out the skills! I just found it easier than having to trawl through nine pages to get what I need, plus I can keep printing it out for each new challenge I start. I think I put 'supermarket' rather than grocery store though. I can change that if people want (though I guess you could change it yourself).
Lab Assistant
#439 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 12:23 AM
Oooohhh! Finally! Just bought and upgraded my first community lot so that it's open. I bought the 19k waterfall lot that comes with Sunset Valley 2, and spent a little bit to get it to the first level Venue. So, at least it's open, and I officially have my first lot! Eventually I'll add a couple things for the wild horses there (although they like the lettuce, apples, and tomato plants that are there), a bathrooms, fire pit, maybe a tent for the overnight fishers, barbecue and bathrooms. I did add a couple of very minor spawners, simply because the world seems to be lacking in the way of spawners at times... heh. But.. yay... ! Almost skilled up enough for the Military one, and the Supermarket too - provided I can make another 27k quickly.

Scholar
#440 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:49 PM
So...I'm putting my attempt at this challenge on hold. Random Legacy players can attest that I'm having enough difficulty just keeping that one up to date, and for some reason my NIF game is having a hard time holding my attention. Suspect it has something to do with the fact that I still really hate Lunar Lakes, lol.

I'll either retry this with a new story some other time or start this one back up again later. Maybe once I get past my current legacy generation.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Field Researcher
#441 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 6:32 PM
Cool.

When I update it for showtime lots i'll put the skill headings on the second page too as I keep having to flick back and forth to figure out the skills! I just found it easier than having to trawl through nine pages to get what I need, plus I can keep printing it out for each new challenge I start. I think I put 'supermarket' rather than grocery store though. I can change that if people want (though I guess you could change it yourself).
My first sim 'Zerhai' has skilled up her gardening and is prepping to get the grocery store, her now ex-husband is going for a bookstore i believe, i forgot what i have his new wife going for, but the first kid is going for the school.

I am going for a personal side quest as well, im gonna try to keep Zerhai there for the whole thing, so she has also been working on learning ambrosia, and i would like to keep her at adult stage, (its taken me her whole YA to get gardening maxed, her cooking about halfway there and her fishing started.)
Lab Assistant
#442 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 7:58 PM
I think I finally figured out what's wrong with that simmie who won't lose motives. Somehow, with the mods, the adoption glitched and gave me a newspaper deliverer.. and she is somehow still set as a service sim (I think) .. so I'm going to simply pretend I send her off to boarding school, send her back to the service pool, and move her back in when she ages up.. or something. I'll figure it out. Truly, I will. Her aging to teen didn't change the issue, and even worse, she had managed to start getting moodlets that "stuck" ex: the "screaming baby" moodlet - no babies are screaming anywhere on the lot... and it's been there for two weeks of gameplay. sigh. soo.. yeah. I can keep in touch with her to stay friends by the phone, and when it's time to move her back in .. or out.. or whatever, I'll figure out a way to do it.

On other notes.... apparently my founder couple are a bunch of rabbits.. I finally broke down and gave them both the fertility lifetime reward, because they both rolled wants to have TEN kids. I'm still debating on whether to stop at ten .. or just go ahead and get the achieve for 15 with this family. ... at least I won't have to worry about town population?? haha. The other family I have moved in for skilling and lot earning have a couple kids of their own.. and at this point, the challenge has become "how to keep up with too many (bleeeeeep) toddlers. I have five at the moment.. but thank god, when I load, two are going to have a birthday. At least the parents plan to "move out" when they get their two lots earned, so no big deal there. Currently, I'm thinking I'll save for another house/move out, then do a quick re-vamp on the current home - and leave the Sauers (the other family) there with their kids, and move MY family out to build a new house. My fishing hole lot is doing GREAT! I'm really pleased with it. I almost have it upgraded to the venue level 2, and it has already spawned it's very first town opportunity - the grill-a-thon. (nobody in my family had time to go, of course, but at least the paparazzi left for a short while to visit and watch the horses) All I really added were a couple picnic tables and grills, some pet toys, dog houses, a horse tie rack, salt stone, some pet toys for all breeds, and flowers and such. have one or two of each of the base game plants there (they seem to attract the wildlife very very well), and since I'm designating it (or calling it) a "Wildlife Reserve" (since all wildlife seems to congregate there) .. I added a spawner or two for each type of minor pet animal, the freshwater fish, one for the beetles, and some butterflies on the multitudes of wildflowers (they'd be there in real life, too) .. the snake and lizard spawners are among rocky cave brambles, rodents under bushes near food sources, turtle on the rock in the middle of the pond, birds and fireflies by the picnic and food-planted area. There's also a large "pasture" area for the wild horses, complete with a salt lick and a horsey ball - whether they'll play with it, I dunno - guess I'll find out. I tweaked the game with mods to allow extra wild horses - because only rarely are herds only four animals, I allowed eight.

Avalikia - on the careers and such - I've noticed that the new showtime careers keep picking up npcs/townies .. and it annoyed me.. because, really, all I have is two families and a fishing hole.. where's the need for FOUR singers and an acrobat?! .. so I went in and disabled those careers (and a couple others until I open up what I feel they'd need to have - the ghost hunter, architectural, horse riding, stylist, fireman, (basically the ambitions self-professions except the investigator).. is that going to break some sort of rule? .. I hope not. Also, I set story progression to ask me of any townie that wants to ask for a career switch (or something like that) so I can better manage where people are working - as most the lots will be owned by my people, it seems to make sense I manage the work force a bit. is that ok?

Forum Resident
#443 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 8:03 PM Last edited by katya_stevens : 16th Mar 2012 at 8:48 PM.
Small update as I haven't been playing much for a while: I had the eldest two children try to turn their imaginary friends real on the day they were due to become young adults. One glitched and disappeared (which is really annoying as the eldest child is a male with not many females in the world), the other became human...at the start of the child age bar, necessitating a couple of birthday cakes to get him to Leah's age. Thanks to sending Julian out gem hunting on a regular basis, they've found a number of tiberium gems which have been sold when they're worth ~$40k, and thanks to that I now have a consignment store which helped me earn money towards getting a bookstore.

Because of the tiberium, the family now has a fair amount of money, and if Julian can max his skills will be going for the hospital. Leah's IF has been skilling fishing hard, and will be opening up a small fishing place soon. The family has had two more children, twins Tara (friendly, genius) who may be going for the school and her sister Jenny might be going for the Science lab. I'm going to see if I can move in a few NPC sims and get them to start families, because only having two will make everyone interrelated very soon.

Edit: Can I just confirm that there is nothing in the rules against using the Young Again potion (either from LTR or the chemistry set)? I've just moved in one of the consignment store sims intending her to be a wife for Julian, only to find that she's 17 days to elder.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#444 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 9:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
So...I'm putting my attempt at this challenge on hold.

Aw! I like the story you've been writing though!

Avalikia - on the careers and such - I've noticed that the new showtime careers keep picking up npcs/townies .. and it annoyed me.. because, really, all I have is two families and a fishing hole.. where's the need for FOUR singers and an acrobat?! .. so I went in and disabled those careers (and a couple others until I open up what I feel they'd need to have - the ghost hunter, architectural, horse riding, stylist, fireman, (basically the ambitions self-professions except the investigator).. is that going to break some sort of rule? .. I hope not. Also, I set story progression to ask me of any townie that wants to ask for a career switch (or something like that) so I can better manage where people are working - as most the lots will be owned by my people, it seems to make sense I manage the work force a bit. is that ok?

Hmm, sounds like whatever SP you're using is giving them those in the absence of a rabbithole to work in? I see no reason to not allow you to keep Sims from getting jobs that don't make sense. By the same token, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to stop them from switching if they want a job that they shouldn't be able to get - but using it to stop them for pretty much any other reason would seem cheaty to me.

Quote: Originally posted by katya_stevens
Can I just confirm that there is nothing in the rules against using the Young Again potion (either from LTR or the chemistry set)? I've just moved in one of the consignment store sims intending her to be a wife for Julian, only to find that she's 17 days to elder.

Nothing at all against the rules to tamper with ages using non-mod methods.
Scholar
#445 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 9:34 PM
Quote:
and when it's time to move her back in .. or out.. or whatever, I'll figure out a way to do it.

Use Mastercontroller to save her appearance in CAS, take a note of her personality, and remake her as a fresh sim? And if necessarily, use MC to recreate the original sim's relationships/skills/etc so it's a true and complete copy. Then delete or kill off or move away or whatever the original.

Quote:
Aw! I like the story you've been writing though!

Yeah, once I sort out the details the story itself has promise, but the neighborhood just doesn't work well, and the story requires SO MUCH CC, and so much CASing, and I wind up spending more time trying to figure out how to CAST an oven to look prehistoric than I do actually playing. So I don't really have the patience to deal with it AND my legacy right now. And my legacy has prettier babies.

Lab Assistant
#446 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
Hmm, sounds like whatever SP you're using is giving them those in the absence of a rabbithole to work in? I see no reason to not allow you to keep Sims from getting jobs that don't make sense. By the same token, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to stop them from switching if they want a job that they shouldn't be able to get - but using it to stop them for pretty much any other reason would seem cheaty to me.

Currently I'm using the Twallin SP, but they started getting those jobs under the EA one.. and continued doing in under Twallin's.. so I dunno. Just seems easier to disable them until they make more sense. Everything else stated makes sense. I'm going to turn approved job-switching back off (it hasn't popped up yet, so no rules broken yet) and just keep the main career disable on for the jobs that aren't unlocked, just to be safe rather than sorry on them.

Another question: is having the teen-teen move in option turned on ok?

Lab Assistant
#447 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 2:10 PM
Use Mastercontroller to save her appearance in CAS, take a note of her personality, and remake her as a fresh sim? And if necessarily, use MC to recreate the original sim's relationships/skills/etc so it's a true and complete copy. Then delete or kill off or move away or whatever the original.

Yeah, once I sort out the details the story itself has promise, but the neighborhood just doesn't work well, and the story requires SO MUCH CC, and so much CASing, and I wind up spending more time trying to figure out how to CAST an oven to look prehistoric than I do actually playing. So I don't really have the patience to deal with it AND my legacy right now. And my legacy has prettier babies.

Hm.. how would I use Master Controller to do the relationships/skills bit? I'm fairly sure by now that she's a bugged sim... and I think I'm going to have to be drastic and simply get rid of her and remake a clone in her place. .. which brings up another question.. wonder if a clone voucher would work instead.. I kinda like the sim and don't want to lose her completely, but at this point, I've been thinking I'll just have her marry some random townie when she grows up and then move her out to her own little residence .. out of sigh out of mind, as the saying goes. .. Any thoughts on this, Avalikia?? - I'm just not real sure what to do with her.

On your story going on hiatus - understood how it's a tough story to keep up with - but know that it WILL be missed!! Also, what's the chances of you starting a new story - less CC and CAS-instense?

EDIT: PS, sorry for double post, I haven't figured out Avalikia's magic on quoting more than one person in a single post.. lol

Lab Assistant
#448 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 2:57 PM
The lot size adder mod has been updated now, I think there was a slight bug with the last one.

Well, just installed showtime, patched to 1.33 and reinstalled all twallen's mods and all other mods that have been updated to 1.31 - I don't think there were any major tweaks with 1.33 but still being on the safe side.

So, think i'm going to start a new story from scratch now. Not planning on experimenting with the showtime careers and lots straight away will do so as I come across them I think. I only got it because I had enough amazon vouchers and I like to have every EP for continuity rather than for specific things in them.

So yeah, will see what happens and hope there isn't graphics card meltdown or anything else!
Scholar
#449 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 4:05 PM
Hm.. how would I use Master Controller to do the relationships/skills bit?

Okay, here are some things you might need for it. They all show up when you click on the sim, choose Nraas, and choose Mastercontroller.

Under intermediate, Age will let you set how close to aging up to the next stage she is, so you can get a really exactly copy on that.

I didn't catch what age you said she was, but career is in here too, as is celebrity level.

Also under intermediate, Long term relationship (I usually use the "by category" one). Pick a category at the next screen that contains the sim you want to add to her relationships (for instance, "males"), and it will list all the sims that meet that requirement, and then you can just pick them from the list and choose what relationship level you want her to have with them.

Edit in CAS is under Advanced, and is self-explanatory. So is skill level. Basically you just tell it what skill you want at what level.

Family is under Advanced too. It works a lot like LTR, except you're setting sims as her parent/sister/whatever.

Quote:
On your story going on hiatus - understood how it's a tough story to keep up with - but know that it WILL be missed!! Also, what's the chances of you starting a new story - less CC and CAS-instense?

Dunno. I'd have to think of a story first if there was going to be any hope of me starting over with a new one.

Lab Assistant
#450 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 4:28 AM
Dunno. I'd have to think of a story first if there was going to be any hope of me starting over with a new one.
Oooh. A run-away simbot! Was designed to be someone's house servant/butler, but he just wants to be himself, and move to a nice rural town and garden. Got the runaway simbot idea from some game trailer or other my hubby watched.. or rather not a trailer, a video showing the game company's new engine's capabilities. It had a really thought-provoking story of an android going through the building process, and being initialized.. and when she's told she'll be reinitialized and given instructions after her sale, she gets confused and says something about how she's not merchandise. The tech tells her she is.. and she answers .. "but... but.. I thought... I was alive..." To which the tech immediately starts dis-assembly procedures because she's not supposed to be artificially intelligent (obviously) .. and she starts screaming for him to stop - that she'll do anything, she just wants a chance to live. Eventually (in the video) he does stop and lets her go with the other droids with a promise to keep her mouth shut.. which led me thinking.. what if she (or a he) like this escaped.... ?? Granted, in the video, she was a completely realistic droid.. i.e. you wouldn't have been able to tell she was a droid (simbot) without pulling her apart, so I suppose instead of a simbot you could use a normal young adult sim, and just for story purposes call her a prototype "bot" that came to life...

Ah hell. Now I have myself wanting to try that story... Way to go me. Just what I need - more story ideas in my head, and more projects. If you don't try it, I probably will, because I love the story potential.

@Avalikia - I ran through some tests on the new lots types added in Showtime, if you're interested ... (well of course you are.. lol) Basically there's four new "venue" types. The stage item itself spawns the "proprietor" who gives you the gigs. You can't buy any of the lots - however some of the buildings have other uses (theater, diner, and stadium, respectively) and you can buy those buildings - but not the lot - and they are the same prices and requirements as the normal career rabbit holes. The stages themselves cost money in community buy mode - so perhaps make the family setting up these venues subtract the funds for the stage?.. or, I dunno, your choice I suppose. You cannot actually get to the max level in the career (I don't think - perhaps you can - but it would certainly be really tough, or involve doing a lot of simport'ing) without having a venue in town - so coming up with requirements will be a tough call. The actual skills - performance, singing, magic tricks, etc.. are all hidden skills, so there's no real way to figure out what skill sims are at, which makes requirements even tougher to pick. Acrobats need athletic skill to be any good, though, and singers and magicians end up needing quite a bit of charisma. DJ isn't actually a career - it's more of a hobby you can make some sideline cash with - the only gigs you can get with it are opportunity-based, or you can play for tips. The stages in community build mode cost as follows: Stadium Show Rig: 85,000; Concert Show Rig: 72,000; Park Stage Rig 30,000. All that being said, a bit more about the new venue types...

"Coffeehouse" - appears to just be a diner building plopped onto a lot zoned coffeehouse. I'm still running tests, but the actual lot is not buyable, however, the diner is, with the same requirements as any other diner. The one that comes with showtime is called a coffeehouse, but it's just a diner with a stage on the lot outside with the appropriate decorations. I haven't tested whether you can build a "coffeehouse" lot without even having the diner building on it, but I do know you can have that lot designation without it, and it is visitable - I haven't built my own yet so I don't know if it's also functional.
"Live Show Venue" - think karaoke bar. Can be self-built, main object needed is the stage, obviously.
"Private Venue" - think private club with performers - or something. Again, can be self-built, needs a stage.
"Big Show Venue" - basically a concert hall or arena. The two shipped with the game, one is combined with a theatre, the other with a stadium. I believe you can also build your own, but I haven't tested it. You cannot, however, simply re-zone an older stadium or theatre to this zoning - tried that.

Am currently attempting a victorian-themed.. or sorta .. coffeehouse build.. will let ya'll know how it goes. It's basically two stories (with a frieze in between) - bathrooms will be upstairs, with a balcony overhanging the stage. The stairs are split-level, includes a parking lot and landscaping.. still have some building and testing to go though. It's certainly one of my more ambitious builds - I've never attempted both split level stairs and the partial floor between floors (which was used to put a marquee-style awning over the "porch". Mansard roofs, tons of windows, well lit.. *brain explodes* .. back to work on it.

Page 18 of 39