Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Rabbit Hole Replacement Project(Updated March 8 2011)

by Raven Shadow Posted 25th Feb 2011 at 12:01 PM - Updated 21st Aug 2011 at 8:06 PM by Raven Shadow : Added new objects

186 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 115 Feedback Posts, 70 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 3 of 8
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#51 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 3:44 PM Last edited by Raven Shadow : 8th Mar 2011 at 5:42 PM.
ericpincas,
It's not a problem with the door, the doors are wider then the wall you placed them on.
The doors are 3 tiles wide and you placed them on a 2 tile wide wall,
to get them to fit, they must be on a wall that is atleast 3 tiles wide.

Update:
Somehow i missed the 1st picture.....
DUDE! The doors are for custom construction, why are
you putting a Rabbit Hole Door on a Shell object that has a door already?
The mesh of the existing structure will create routing issues that will make the Rabbit Hole unuseable.
They work best when you build the building yourself.
And they do NOT work like regular doors, sims can NOT enter
the shell through a rabbit Hole Door, they can only disappear
into the Rabbit Hole the door was made to emulate.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#52 Old 7th Mar 2011 at 3:50 PM Last edited by Raven Shadow : 8th Mar 2011 at 5:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by LunyKimberly
Quick question about some of the doors, not sure if a working copy got intermixed with the new versions of if these are the new ones and a couple pictures on the main page need updated.

The Criminal hideout is a modified version of what's pictured: there's only the one glass pane and it's a sliding door instead of the swing-type that the rest of them are, also the door is two tiles but the footprint is four (I'm assuming this is because of the sliding).

The basegame Spa door is similar: it's using the 3-tile glass door many of the other RHs are but there are no handles, the footprint is for five tiles, and the doors slide open/close in game.

Also, the Grocery RH cuts out the wall above the door. The door looks like it works fine, there's just a gap in the wall between the top of the door and the top of the wall.

Yes, I used images made during the testing phase and should update them.
The door pictured was actually the original Movie Studio, but it didn't
work well with that door, so I used the Contemporary Door for it, instead.

The Criminal Hideout and Base Game Day Spa Rabbit Holes have sliding
doors (EA's doing) , and thier wider footprint insures that no other doors
or archways are placed too close them.

Thank you for spotting the bad wall mask

Update:
Wall mask and texture for theGrocery have been fixed.
New Rabbit Holes have been uploaded (Rugs)
Test Subject
#53 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Raven Shadow
ericpincas,
It's not a problem with the door, the doors are wider then the wall you placed them on.
The doors are 3 tiles wide and you placed them on a 2 tile wide wall,
to get them to fit, they must be on a wall that is atleast 3 tiles wide.

Update:
Somehow i missed the 1st picture.....
DUDE! The doors are for custom construction, why are
you putting a Rabbit Hole Door on a Shell object that has a door already?
The mesh of the existing structure will create routing issues that will make the Rabbit Hole unuseable.
They work best when you build the building yourself.
And they do NOT work like regular doors, sims can NOT enter
the shell through a rabbit Hole Door, they can only disappear
into the Rabbit Hole the door was made to emulate.

I delete the building's door and the sims can go perfectly, the only issue is that the doors are wider, as you said, i need 2 tiles wide doors. But there arent any buildings with 3 wide walls in the entry.
If you could change those doors to 2 tile wide doors, it'd work properly. My sims can enter and exit perfectly because I deleted the Shell's door. I know those arent regular doors and I know that my sims disappear, thats why inside my buidings I put hidden room marker. My Sims can enter the Shell and go out, I made it just as I make a Dance Club, the only exception is that I put your special doors. Let me know if you could make that change.
Sorry for my poor english, I express myself the best I can! I play Sims in Spanish and I dont know the vocabulary
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#54 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 4:57 AM
ericpincas,
The Rabbit Holes have requirements, that only 2 doors could match,
without crashing, and 1 of them barely works.

Look at the attached image, it was taken in TSR Workshop.
The red squaresrepresent protected zones that are the smallest size
for 1 sim to be able to use the door.
The blue circles are marking the Approach Slots, the spots the sims
must stand on to enter and exit the rabbit hole.
If they are too close the won't work.
They are positioned the closest they can be and still work.
The smallest space the can be used for a Rabbit Hole is 2.5 tiles wide
and 2 tiles deep.

You'll have to put the door inside the shell or use The Rug instead
Screenshots
Veteran Finn
retired moderator THANKS POST
#55 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 5:03 AM
Thank you for updating the rugs They work perfect! The sims in my upcoming world are so happy to go to lovely cafeterias instead of fugly EA shells :D
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#56 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 1:19 PM
Justa documentation issue: The downloads tab descriptions don't match the 'overview' tab descriptions about which download contains what. Confusing.

I'm excited to have rugs again. Thank you very much!
Test Subject
#57 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 6:43 PM
Ok, thank you. I'll try with the Rugs. The doors work even if a piece of it is hidden! I've just found buildings that fit with the door. The door Space is 3 tiles wide and I'M using them to place the doors. Seems to work perfectly!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#58 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 11:11 PM
ty for these i have been using the rugs a while now but decided to try the doors they are great i can now build a building i want that will fit the town i am playing in ea's are really to big so glad you did a film studio one doubt if i could fit the orginal ea one in many thx lov them xx
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#59 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:15 AM
This is SO awesome. I made a set of rabbit hole replacements for my new world in Sims 3 and they turned out great!!
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#60 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 8:54 PM
Hello Raven Shadow, I moved your upload to buymode, because it doesn't change any game resources and thus isn't really a game mod. It counts as a new object, so buymode seems better suited.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Test Subject
#61 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 4:20 PM
fieriee,
You would have to edit the one of the language files inside any of the packages
you wished to change.
If you'd like to try, I'll explain how.

Appreciate if you could explain how to change the rabbit hole name.
As the custom rabbit hole name would have problem to perform Opportunity.
Test Subject
#62 Old 19th Mar 2011 at 5:37 PM
or is it possible for you to create another set of rabbit holes which use the original Sims 3 rabbit holes' name such as Llama Memoria Stadium etc ?
Thanks for ur amazing work
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#63 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 5:46 PM
I'm in love
Thanks a Million!
Test Subject
#64 Old 23rd Mar 2011 at 1:38 AM
Jennie901,
No these just let you build your own lots instead of using EA's Rabbit Holes.
For example, instead of using the City Hall that comes with the game,
you might want to build something yourself that looks like it came from Little House on
the Prairie.
They function the same , though, when a sim uses one, they vannish until thier shift is over, then reappear

if they just vanish then they act like regular ea default lots? why would anyone bother if you can't see/use the inside of the builing?
Test Subject
#65 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by helpdalutz
if they just vanish then they act like regular ea default lots? why would anyone bother if you can't see/use the inside of the builing?

Because as the previous poster stated:

No these just let you build your own lots instead of using EA's Rabbit Holes. For example, instead of using the City Hall that comes with the game, you might want to build something yourself that looks like it came from Little House on the Prairie.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 4:47 AM Last edited by bradyseitz : 26th Mar 2011 at 4:56 AM. Reason: Figured out the Problem
I seem to be having a problem with the Bookstore Base Game door. I place in in a wall that is well wide enough. My Sim will not use the door. However, I placed the Criminal Hideout door in the exact same spot and it worked. I can always use the Bookstore/Day Spa combo door instead. I was more curious to see if someone else was having a similar problem. Also, is there a limit to how many Rabbit Holes can be on one lot? The one I mentioned above actually has three doors on a lot designated for the Library and they all work.

Brady

**EDIT**

I figured out what my problem was. I was not paying close enough attention to the placement of the door. The arrows were turned inside the building. I rotated the door and voila it worked. I feel like such a noob right now. LOL.

Follow the creation of new worlds, lots and objects at my new blog, UrbanSims!
~Brady
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#67 Old 26th Mar 2011 at 12:19 PM
Thank you SO much for updating the rugs I really appreciate it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#68 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by helpdalutz

lol, that's a question everyone asks about EA's Rabbit Holes, we can't see in them,
we can't redecorate them, we can't interact with our sim in them, what a pain
they are"

Wit custom rabbit holes you can control how the building looks, you can decorate it,
and you have a greater degree of control over it's functionality.
For example you could use the restaurant door in a Bar, so your sims an
enjoy a few drinks and do some dancing while waiting for a table to become available
for thier dinner.
Scholar
#69 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 12:13 AM Last edited by arathea : 30th Mar 2011 at 12:27 PM.
[I'm having a cosmetic problem with the doors. I'm using the door for the criminal hideout at the 2nd floor above a bar at the 1st floor. When the camera is at the 1st floor or in the basement, the door is still visible and hanging in the air.]

Edit: Never mind, I accidentally put the door in pointing in the wrong direction. I turned it around and it's only visible at the floor where it's placed now.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Test Subject
#70 Old 2nd Apr 2011 at 6:02 PM
I think this is fabulous as most of the EA rabbit hole buildings are just too huge for what I want in my towns, but I think I'm missing something. What's the difference using the doors versus using the rugs? Does one work differently than the other?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#71 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by donald147
I think this is fabulous as most of the EA rabbit hole buildings are just too huge for what I want in my towns, but I think I'm missing something. What's the difference using the doors versus using the rugs? Does one work differently than the other?

no, it's just a matter of personal preference.
Some players prefer using the rugs
While some players prefer using the doors.
It's all a matter of what each player believes fits in best with thier style of play and decorating
Smeg Head
THANKS POST
#72 Old 9th Apr 2011 at 12:31 AM
Thanks Raven Shadow. I suppose I shouold test this theory before I ask, but maybe all hell will break loose if I do test first. The one EA rabbit hole building that is utterly absymal is the school. If even a small group of kids and teens turn up in the morning and try to go through the agonising bottleneck process, one at a time, then some do not get to school. A larger group of twenty or more, then half just walk off sick of waiting and thus are branded as skipping school and get bad grades. A terrrible EA oversight.
So my three questions are, if I place a school rabbit hole on a residential lot, will only the children of that household attempt to attend? Or will that house suffer all hell breaking loose with all the other kids in the hood turning up? Or can I simply place a school rabbit hole on every residential house with kids and end the abysmal EA oversight?
Thanks. I will attempt it either way. Anthing is better than watching that god-awful bottleneck process again.
Test Subject
#73 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 7:15 PM
I have a mac and when i put the package in the game my game gets stuck on the first black screen can someone help i really want to use this
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 1:52 AM Last edited by KarinL : 24th Apr 2011 at 2:07 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by diana9676
I have a mac and when i put the package in the game my game gets stuck on the first black screen can someone help i really want to use this

I have a Mac, too, and all the .package format rabbit hole items I've tried so far screw up my game.
If it loads at all (which it doesn't when I use these), all my rabbit holes (including EA ones) become unusable as soon as I put a rabbit hole in .package form in my game.
This problem only started after one of the recent patches (1.14 I think).

The ones I have in Sims3Pack do work, both the rugs and the recolours. So if these are available somewhere else in Sims3Pack form, I'd love to know, so I could have another chance to try them.

Edit: To be more precise, when I place the ordinary rug by Jynx, or any of the available recolours of, for instance, the grocery store, in .package form, all my Sims3Pack grocery store recolours and all my EA grocery store rabbit holes become unuseable.
When I use the door version of the grocery store rabbit hole, my game won't get past the loading screen.

Test Subject
#75 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 1:59 AM
Is this compatible with the newest EA update.... 7.0.55..... ?
Page 3 of 8