Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 5:27 AM
shiny textures?
i would like to make a gem that is recolor-able but i need it to retain transparency and a bit of a shine as well as a texture. if anyone has any idea how to do something like this it would be received appreciatively by me. (that was wordy on purpose, like totally)
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 12:42 PM
A gem as in an object or a gem that is part of a pattern?

(intentionally terse...lol)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 7:59 PM
gem as an object
i want it to be a shape like this
but instead of numbers i have symbols and i wanted it to be be clear and shiny like a window
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 9:20 PM
Posting in incorrect forum can cause confusedness. You have posted in patterns ... this is a meshing question. Moving...

So, you will find the tutorials you need for meshing in the tutorials subforum. Your definitely going to have to do some reading and experimenting. Sims_3:Moddingwiki should get you started. Meshing tutorials for creating, then there is a tutorial about glass from orangemittens.
Alchemist
#5 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 11:29 PM
Thank you for organizing this to the right place HL...it's nice to have threads ending up where they seem like they belong lately Now if we could just have the hair stuff moved to CAS Parts I'd be a happy girl...<throwing hands in air> not that hair is bad...it's just not an object per se to my mind...lol. (It's part of a Sim) I might be in the minority opinion on that though.

Xain666, I think this object should be do-able although I'm not sure about the recolorable part.

If you wanted to make it as a not-recolorable object you could take one of the EA flower vases and embed the flower part inside the glass and use that as the part which your symbols replace. Then it would just be a matter of re-meshing the vase part so that it was the shape of your gem. I think it would be possible to make the color of the glass the color you want although that would be the only color the object came in if you know what I mean.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I think you might need to place the symbols on the outside of the glass...but intimately applied to it as a very flat thing...almost a stencil. If the symbols were inside it they might show up blurry in-game.

For recolorable...that would require some experimentation which could end up not working out.