Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2006 at 10:33 PM
Default Tutorial - How to add "Dialogue" To your object!
Hello!
The purpose of this tutorial is to show you how to add a new BHAV function to your object that shows Dialogue. If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is what I am going to teach you to do:

It doesn't nessessarily have to say what is says, just whateve you tell it to.
Now lets get started!

First you need SimPE. Download it here

Note: This tutorial IS NOT copied from anyone else. I was playing around with SimPE and learnt how to do it myself.

1. Go to your objects' BHAV function.
Click on the interaction you want to make BEFORE the dialogue. Now click on that interaction and then go to "Special Buttons". Then go to "Insert Via True"

2. Now click on your new interaction which should appear right under the one you chose as the one before it. Click on the two little Comma's you see beside the operands.

3. Now, in the whole big set of numbers, copy and past the following new numbers:

4. Click okay and then change the OP Code to 0x0024. COMMIT FILE AND SAVE.

Now go to your Text Lists and clone any text list. Click on your cloned text list, and go to the Resource Information tab (itslike the Plugin tab). Remove the last 3 numbers of the Instance and replace them with 12D.

Now go back to the Plugin view and change the file name of your text list to "Dialog prim string set" and DELETE ALL OF THE PIE MENU STRINGS IN YOUR TEXT LIST EXCEPT FOR 0x0000. Now in that pie menu string, type the text you want to appear for your dialogue

COMMIT FILE AND SAVE
5. Now go back the BHAV function and click on the button on the right side of the 2 comma's. There should be like a hammer and wrench icon. Now a window will pop up. Click the first set of 2 arrows (shown in pictures) and another window will popup with your text. Click on your text and click OKAY. Make sure the arrows now point to your text and click OKAY again. Now look at your dialgue under the Operands and you should see your Dialogue.
COMMIT FILE AND SAVE
Please look at pictures if you dont want to be clueless:

Test it out in-game (the object) and this is what you should get (a dialogue box where you wanted it to be)

Enjoy!
Please leave a comment if it helped And click the thanks button if it helped, also :D

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

I'm currently taking requests until August 12th.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 6th Oct 2006 at 7:49 AM
Can I add that you should click on "Default Lang Only" in the string editor if it is not greyed out, otherwise only Americans will see your new string, players in other parts of the world will get the old string from the resource you copied, in their own language.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Oct 2006 at 1:16 PM
Thankyou, Inge! Forgot to add that

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 10:50 AM Last edited by WindBlower : 4th Nov 2006 at 11:59 AM.
Hi Out there

Ive been trying this tutorial and the And AdidasSG2_UnderstandSimAntics, It seems very simple and easy to do, but I cant get it to work, I just keep getting the Normal 'error' message in the game.

Dear Echo

Here is the Log list, I can't figure out how those log files work.

Sincerely,
WindBlower
Attached files:
File Type: zip  WBDKFlowerGl.zip (464.2 KB, 39 downloads)
File Type: zip  ObjectError_N001_t1220933.zip (9.9 KB, 33 downloads)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Nov 2006 at 10:08 AM Last edited by Echo : 4th Nov 2006 at 2:31 PM.
Windblower: When you say you're getting the "normal error message", could you be a bit more precise? What error message is it that you're getting. If possible, you should also attach the error log that it generates.

Edit: Thanks for posting the log. It looks like your problem is nothing to do with the dialog - as best as I can tell quickly your dialog code is never actually getting called. The problem is the last node in your "Function - Init" is pointing to a node (3) that doesn't exist. I think you probably want it to point to "true".
#6 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 8:27 PM
Wow this is very useful paco i just tried it out and it works perfectly, short perfect and shweet, thaks :D

AbstractSIMmer187 Has Retired From Sims 2 Creating
All Of My Creations Are Found Here
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 8:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 9:38 PM
Is that coke machine assaultable? Sims should be able to pick fights with the coke machine. If it's good enough for Derek Smart, it's good enough for sims!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 11:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
Is that coke machine assaultable? Sims should be able to pick fights with the coke machine. If it's good enough for Derek Smart, it's good enough for sims!

Hahaha. Do you mean, like, kick the machine ?

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Feb 2007 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Spencer
hi
How can you put a yes and no butans on a dialogue?

Step #5, picture #2, where it says "Dialogue Type - Message" change message to something else...what youre looking for should be there.

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Apr 2007 at 1:37 AM Last edited by nelson_ts2fan_loco : 22nd Apr 2007 at 4:14 AM.
hey, Paco, thanks for your tut, I've been looking for this ever since I started playing with BHAV's and the rest of the stuff on the resource tree in SimPE. *bows to Paco*
One question, though, and I hope not to bother: there's a type of window in a dialogue that appears at one far edge in the sims (say, for example, when you call somebody at the phone when that sim is at work or when that sim does not own a phone.) How can I imput that kind of window in the dialogue?
bye, and thanks again for your tut.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Apr 2007 at 1:02 PM
I don't quite understand what you're trying to say, but if you're talking about how to change the way the dialogue is displayed (here it's displayed in a blue box that pauses the game until you press OK)

Step number 5 - picture number 2 - There is a little box that says "Dialogue Message" and beside it says Dialog Type. It's on the upper left; click the box and there is a wide variety of different "dialog types" Just remember to click OK and commit changes, and save of course.

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

Test Subject
#15 Old 14th May 2007 at 8:33 PM
Hello pacotacoplayer, firstly thank you very much by do this tutorial

I would like to ask you a question. I want to do an object that adds an option called for example "View the text" and when the Sim choose this option, appears a message with my text. I have do your tutorial and it works perfectly, but I don't know how can I add the option to show the message.

Pd: Sorry, I'm from Spain and my English it's very bad.

Tere_562
Scholar
#16 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 5:44 PM
Thank-you very much this was very helpful to me! It was very easy to understand too. Thanks for all the work you did to create this.
#17 Old 22nd Dec 2008 at 5:39 PM
Thank you, pacotacoplayer; you supplied one of the pieces I was missing: the ability to define my own dialog strings.

Now, does anyone know where can I find information on how to add $Replaceable parameters to my dialogs?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Slippery When Wet
#18 Old 22nd Dec 2008 at 10:11 PM
Add 'The Bowels of Trogdor' and 'The War Room' to your list of useful places to find info's.

The variables can be found here...
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,13348.0.html
Miss BHAVing
retired moderator
#19 Old 22nd Dec 2008 at 10:14 PM
See here
#20 Old 22nd Dec 2008 at 10:37 PM
Thanks bunches, MogHugson!

tunaisafish, I don`t usually go off-site for things, especially if I have to register to get them. Thank you anyway.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank