Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 9:43 AM
Empty packages
When I try to enter a lot, it won't load so I thought of cleaning out my downloads.
There was nothing irregular, just makeup, clothes, hair, sims, and lots.
But I found "empty packages". Are those to be disabled or removed or what?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 9:48 AM
Empty packages are just that - empty. You can remove them if you want. They're not doing anything for you as they are, but they're not going to cause problems as, well, there's nothing in 'em.

For the lots not loading issue, do this: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=139702

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 10:33 AM
I just don't understand these empty packages. I would be very grateful if someone could zip up and send me some empty packages to [email protected]

I really want to open these with SimPE and satisfy my curiousity!
Test Subject
#4 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 12:40 AM
Default empty packages
Opening empty .package files with SimPE is not really entertaining:
You'll only see that there are no resources.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 1:46 AM
Thanks =]
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 8:24 AM
Actually an empty package is no, in fact, an empty package. What it really is, is a Sims2Pack file with no data chunks.

It's basically just the headers but nothing else, so when S2PCI looks for the actual package chunk, it can't find it, so it tags it incorrectly as an "empty package", when in fact it's a mostly empty Sims2Pack.

Open it up in a text editor and you'll see what I mean

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
#7 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 9:08 AM
I'd love to open one in SimPE or a text editor or a hex editor. My problem is I have never had one so I haven't had the chance! Please please can anyone send me one?
Deviant Savant
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 10:45 AM
Here you go...

This lot contained quite a few of them.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Castle-Bam.rar (2.2 KB, 60 downloads)
#9 Old 17th Sep 2006 at 11:05 AM
Test Subject
#10 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 9:48 AM
So does this mean that it is just a broken package that doesn't work? I am lost, I downloaded some hair from seomi sims and got alot of empty packages...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 11:06 AM
Yes- it didn't download correctly, most likely.
Test Subject
#12 Old 12th Jan 2009 at 7:21 PM
For me, those empty packages seem to appear in my downloads after I remove some items: I manually delete custom files from my downloads folder, and then after playing the game, some of those same files reappear as empty packages (not all of them, just some). They are always exactly 96 bytes in size.

I wonder if the game perhaps creates those files when we try to load a lot that contained some of the files we manually removed?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 13th Jan 2009 at 3:16 PM