Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Third Person Mod

by QuackGames Posted 3rd Apr 2019 at 9:04 PM - Updated 8th Aug 2019 at 1:54 PM by QuackGames

281 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 180 Feedback Posts, 100 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 12
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#126 Old 7th Apr 2019 at 8:53 PM
OMG This is soooooo ceewwlllll!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#127 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 12:40 AM
I'm planning an update to be released tomorrow with a few bug fixes for pets, especifically the dog swimming animations. I'll also add the pending translations, and improve the camera controls indoors (again).

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

Wouldn't it be possible to code allow Sims automatically jump/climb into/outa pool when walking across it? Just like with stairs? Seems like a natural feature for implementation.

That feature IS already implemented. But there is a bug that I'm still unable to track down that blocks the mod from finding the nearest pool until your Sim is already in it. I always intended for the Sim to seamlessly get in and out of pools, but currently they only seamlessly get out. This video attached by you shows it well. That feature used to perfectly work during the mod's development, it only stopped working after the launch version, and I still have no clue as of why.
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 1:13 AM
Could you create one for Sims 2 too? I know that would be hard to implement on Sims 4 considering is a whole different engine but from what I know Sims 2 and 3 share the same engine
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#129 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 3:40 AM
make it to sims 4 please
Inventor
#130 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SophieModan
Could you create one for Sims 2 too? I know that would be hard to implement on Sims 4 considering is a whole different engine but from what I know Sims 2 and 3 share the same engine

Not really. The scripting language of The Sims 2 is completely different. The underlying engine in both cases is C++, but scripts are programmed in C# in 3 (like this mod) and SimAntics in 2. The Sims 1 also uses SimAntics, so if anything TS1 = TS2 in 3D. Besides, The Sims 2 not being an open world game and having tiny lots as walkable areas makes a third person mod pointless.
Mad Poster
#131 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 9:01 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 8th Apr 2019 at 3:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Besides, The Sims 2 not being an open world game and having tiny lots as walkable areas makes a third person mod pointless.
Tiny lots? Now that's pure assumtion, which I don't agree on. Believe it or not, different players use variety of sizes, including even medium-big-large ones. And what stops players from exploring mansions or parks of maximun size lots that give the feel less or more of an open world, If played right? You make it sound like players are stucked with cramped houses and backyards.

Either way, mod itself doesn't add much but a new way to control to Sims, you can say people can live without it and therefor "pointless". Direct control existed in consoles of TS2, so this makes it a reasonable request. Sort of like demand for cars. Oh, I see this opening movie-making opportunities just as much does this mod of TS3 for allowing precise walking/running pathways.

Quote: Originally posted by QuackGames
I'm planning an update to be released tomorrow with a few bug fixes for pets, especifically the dog swimming animations. I'll also add the pending translations, and improve the camera controls indoors (again).

That feature IS already implemented. But there is a bug that I'm still unable to track down that blocks the mod from finding the nearest pool until your Sim is already in it. I always intended for the Sim to seamlessly get in and out of pools, but currently they only seamlessly get out. This video attached by you shows it well. That feature used to perfectly work during the mod's development, it only stopped working after the launch version, and I still have no clue as of why.

I honestly think If there's no better to improve indoor camera, may I suggest first person mod? Than again it would contradict the mod's name and many might not agree to drastic camera change, so how about the camera is in normal mode (zoomed out with walls out) as a feasible implementation?

Ah, that sucks. Hopefully you can find the cause of it and able to fix it. Nontheless, thank you for bringing this mod to the community.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Inventor
#132 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 3:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Tiny lots? Now that's pure assumtion, which I don't agree on. Believe it or not, different players use variety of sizes, including even medium-big-large ones. And what stops players from exploring mansions or parks of maximun size lots that give the feel less or more of an open world, If played right? You make it sound like players are stucked with cramped houses and backyards.

But the maximum walkable area is a 64x64 lot. That's tiny compared to the open world in TS3 and the walkable/public areas in 4. There's no much point in having a third person mod for such a tiny walkable map (compared to other Sims games). And the way it functions in the console games is completely different to the way it functions here (in the PS2 some walls are rendered as translucid so they won't completely cover what's happening on screen, zooming in/out also works completely different). I just don't see the point in a THIRD person mode. A first person mode would make more sense.
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 4:06 PM
Default camera
Hello! I have not tried your mod, but I see that it is awesome!
How about putting the camera not behind simM, but a little higher, like in GTA?
Screenshots
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#134 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 5:25 PM
Thanks. I found the functions keys. Raycee.
Test Subject
#135 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
But the maximum walkable area is a 64x64 lot. That's tiny compared to the open world in TS3 and the walkable/public areas in 4. There's no much point in having a third person mod for such a tiny walkable map (compared to other Sims games). And the way it functions in the console games is completely different to the way it functions here (in the PS2 some walls are rendered as translucid so they won't completely cover what's happening on screen, zooming in/out also works completely different). I just don't see the point in a THIRD person mode. A first person mode would make more sense.

In comparison it's rather small. But if you'd ask me I'd still say it's large enough on it's own to make a third person mod work. Overcoming the walls blocking the view shouldn't be too much of a problem: we can just put them at all down or only the walls at the back up.
I've noticed that TS2 Console's zoom-out camera angle feels closer to Sims 2 than it does to Sims 3. What counts the most in my opinion is the new immersion level, and especially for 2, the nod to the console games.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#136 Old 8th Apr 2019 at 10:15 PM
So I have a new update for today, tell me what you guys think.

2019.04.08:
Fixed a rare game breaking bug that could permanently delete your Sim from existence;
Sims and dogs will now seamlessly get in and out of pools;
Fixed dog swimming animations;
Dogs will no longer get the "Soaked" moodlet for not wearing swimwear while swimming;
Slightly lowered camera height for cats, dogs, toddlers and Sims swimming;
Slightly lowered indoors camera height;
Improved indoors camera controls;
Fixed hot tub camera;
Edge camera rotation will now only work if you have the "Edge Scrolling" option enabled;
Slightly lowered edge camera rotation sensitivity;
Ghost Sims won't collide with ANYTHING anymore;
Added some localization languages.

I always intended for the Sim to seamlessly get in and out of pools, but currently they only seamlessly get out. (...) That feature used to perfectly work during the mod's development, it only stopped working after the launch version, and I still have no clue as of why.

That's fixed, by the way.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#137 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 9:30 AM
You are a genius ! I've wanted this :) Thank you!
Top Secret Researcher
#138 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 10:45 AM
This is amazing, thanks for all you've done :D
Test Subject
#139 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 10:45 AM
I am not a modder, so maybe I am missing something here but it was said that the camera can't be adjusted when someone asked about a first-person camera add on and in the update from earlier it says that there were adjustments to the camera?? Would it be possible to add a first-person camera option for those who want it? Like, attach the coding to an object somehow? I know a first-person mode isn't everyone's cup of tea, but some of us would really appreciate it as an optional option that others who are not interested in can skip.

So I have a new update for today, tell me what you guys think.

2019.04.08:
Fixed a rare game breaking bug that could permanently delete your Sim from existence;
Sims and dogs will now seamlessly get in and out of pools;
Fixed dog swimming animations;
Dogs will no longer get the "Soaked" moodlet for not wearing swimwear while swimming;
Slightly lowered camera height for cats, dogs, toddlers and Sims swimming;
Slightly lowered indoors camera height;
Improved indoors camera controls;
Fixed hot tub camera;
Edge camera rotation will now only work if you have the "Edge Scrolling" option enabled;
Slightly lowered edge camera rotation sensitivity;
Ghost Sims won't collide with ANYTHING anymore;
Added some localization languages.

That's fixed, by the way.
Top Secret Researcher
#140 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 10:50 AM
I guess it's because of the way first person would have to work. Sims head would probably have to be hidden and it would probably have to be precisely positioned, which, as you can see is not that easy to even move the camera. Someone might find time to actually position camera and hide sims heads eventually since the base of this mod already exists.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#141 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 11:20 AM
Whoa! This is awesome! Thank you!
Test Subject
#142 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 11:22 AM
I hope someone does. I am holding off on this mod until then personally. Plus maybe being able to add custom walking animations for individual Sims would be nice too.

Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I guess it's because of the way first person would have to work. Sims head would probably have to be hidden and it would probably have to be precisely positioned, which, as you can see is not that easy to even move the camera. Someone might find time to actually position camera and hide sims heads eventually since the base of this mod already exists.
Top Secret Researcher
#143 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 1:04 PM
I forgot to mention, first person will not work if you can't move the camera around with mouse... which this mod can't have from discussions I've been into. Maybe someone gets it to work, but for now, it's not that viable to happen.
Test Subject
#144 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 3:35 PM
Would this work, and how can I try it? I know it isn't related to this mod, but I do not know much about editing ini files beyond copying and pasting. 1st person view camera mod?
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I forgot to mention, first person will not work if you can't move the camera around with mouse... which this mod can't have from discussions I've been into. Maybe someone gets it to work, but for now, it's not that viable to happen.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#145 Old 9th Apr 2019 at 6:08 PM
Omg, thank you thank you thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#146 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 12:05 AM
This mod sounds amazing! I was wondering if this would work with controller support. (for controlling the sim)
Lab Assistant
#147 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 12:48 AM
TPM doesn't work when scuba diving. If you visit a scuba diving lot while in TPM you get reset to the home lot and if you activate TPM while you're underwater you can't control the sim. Is this a bug or is it intentionally like this?
Test Subject
#148 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 8:52 AM
Sims Lost Complete free will, even after removing the mod even. any suggestions?

(it's an awesome mod though, so thanks)
Top Secret Researcher
#149 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SarteLindsay
TPM doesn't work when scuba diving. If you visit a scuba diving lot while in TPM you get reset to the home lot and if you activate TPM while you're underwater you can't control the sim. Is this a bug or is it intentionally like this?

I think it's due to scuba lots not being in the scope of the mod( it requires sims moving in complete 3D space/every possible direction as opposed to 2D space/terrain which would require probably a lot more coding), thus mod cancels visit to scuba lots to evade any conflict when diving.
Top Secret Researcher
#150 Old 10th Apr 2019 at 12:40 PM
Well... it's really hard to overwrite sim routing and movement animation system with only a script mod and let alone bind that to keys on keyboard while tweaking the camera for all the possible situations and making interactions automatic on pools and stairs. It's a miracle it came this far.
Page 6 of 12