Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2019 at 5:38 PM
Default Changing load music
Hi everyone, I wish to change to the loading music in the sims 2 to that from sims 1. To start off let me state I have all the expansion packs and stuff packs. I know that the loading music is in Splash.package located in C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSData\Res\Sound. I opened that file in SimPE and saw it contains one mp3 file. However when I extract the file it wont play in windows media player, this makes me believe I'll need to encode loadloop.wav from the sims1 in some special way. The next test is to replace the file anyway and see if plays, but I want to ask before I do this in case I cause the game to crash.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 1:13 PM
If you have all EPs your game is loading Splash.package from Apartment Life. The default music in Sims2 is encoded in .XA format and there is very few players with decoders that can play that format (Any Video Converter can play them). To replace it you need a music file that is in either .XA, .mp3 or .wav format.
I can find nothing that is capable of creating .XA format sound files.
Mp3 gives the best sound quality for the smallest file size but... every mp3 file I tried played perfectly but always crashed the game when it reached the end and tried to loop back.

Wav files work very well and loop around flawlessly but they have a huge file size, remember your game must keep the file loaded and playing while it's busy loading everything else so you really don't want to bog it down any more than necessary. Reducing the quality in a wav file a bit makes a tremendous difference to the file size and subsequent load on your computer, I managed an acceptable quality for a file size of 1.5 times per minute of the original file. Once you get a Splash.package prepared place it into your Mansion and Garden sound folder and your game will use that instead of the one from AL. Since Mansion and Garden does not contain that file you won't be replacing any default files, you can just remove it to return your game back to default.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 6:32 PM
Thank you, since the sims 1 used a 38 second wav file putting that file into splash.package worked.