Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 9:13 AM
Default Getting rid of ugly shadows.
Hi
It's been bothering me for years, please..tell me how to get rid of these.
Screenshots

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 6:44 PM
Those look like normals. There are a few tools in MilkShape that will help you "smooth" or "align" them... but it's kind of trial-and error. You can play around with those tools until the shadows disappear or are lessened.

Did the shadows appear after you Frankensteined two meshes together, or were they there on the original?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 7:10 PM
Hm, I'm not sure about that. There's definitely a normals seam right in the middle, but I think the two shadows indicated in the pic are texture shadows. Could you maybe attach the texture, OP, and a pic of the mesh in Milkshape without the texture applied?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 9:05 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 15th Nov 2014 at 9:45 PM.
Thank you.
This is not a combination of meshes, this is just the teen male kilt body mesh. The original has its shirt tucked in the kilt, hence the texture shadow. But the texture I applied on my mesh has been edited (this is my texture test, for the time I build my new mesh) and i got rid of the shadow on it.
I basically move vertices around, so the bottom of the shirt part is not tucked in anymore. (I am not done!!! lol)
I attached a pic of my mesh without texture, then my test texture, and the original texture. (all been saved as .jpg..for uploading on here)

Yes fakepeeps, I'd really love to find those normal align options..I have no idea where they would be. I looked under Vertex, Face, Tools..nothing.
If I smooth all..it gets rid of it there, but create ugliness eveywhere else on the mesh. Maybe if I can learn to regroup just that part and create a smoothing group ?!?...never done this before.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 11:49 PM
Yes, you can regroup a certain area and use the normal smoothing tools on just a few vertices; sometimes that's the only way to smooth things out (I've done that a few times). But you'll need the proper tools. They're under the Vertex menu... but I'm not sure if they all come with MilkShape. I've got some of the UniMesh plug-ins installed. There's also Cat's Normal Smoother and one called "Align normals" (that last one might come with MilkShape... I'm not sure). Some of the tools seem to work better for certain projects than others; just play around with them and see which ones give you the best results.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Nov 2014 at 12:39 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 16th Nov 2014 at 12:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Yes, you can regroup a certain area and use the normal smoothing tools on just a few vertices; sometimes that's the only way to smooth things out (I've done that a few times). But you'll need the proper tools. They're under the Vertex menu... but I'm not sure if they all come with MilkShape. I've got some of the UniMesh plug-ins installed. There's also Cat's Normal Smoother and one called "Align normals" (that last one might come with MilkShape... I'm not sure). Some of the tools seem to work better for certain projects than others; just play around with them and see which ones give you the best results.

I don't have the "Align normals" so this does not come with Milkshape for sure. i don't have Cat's Normal Smoother either..though I have other plugins from Cat.
Pretty sure I have the Unimesh plugin too, but will redownload..there is something in the description that seems new to me.0_o

Thank you.
EDIT : me got those 2 plug-ins. Cat's and Align normals..even though Cat says that hers does what the other one does.
re,
Thank you

REEDIT!!!
OMG..wow....this works, me so happpy. (my butt less..as it will be sitting more and more, making meshes)