Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Aug 2009 at 10:25 PM Last edited by Sisaly : 2nd Oct 2009 at 2:54 PM.
Default CAST King or Queen Winner is Announced!

I thought it would be fitting to have the first Sims 3 contest here be about the new feature of TS3. The Create-A-Style Tool.
I'm not going to give themes or such. I want you to be able to go to town, so to speak.
I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity with 'You Must Use Purple' or things like that. NOT to mention there isn't much in the way of CC objects yet. Look at the picture above.
The first room on the left is bland and boring. NO color really, and no patterns.
The middle picture is more stylized but not quite there.
The last picture is more indicative of what this contest is about. It is merely a guideline though.

JaneSamborski~Application~Round 2~K & D~Dropped Out
pai.kea~Application~Dropped Out
scoopy loopy~Application~Dropped Out
LucyCat~Application~Dropped Out

Round 1-Applications Study/Office/Den & Living Room
Round 2~K & D
Round 3~P & P
Round 4~B & B

The contest will run for 4 weeks and have four rounds.
Each round you will furnish 2 rooms and decorate them. You can use ANYTHING you want in your pictures. Anything.
The judges and I want to see the CAST tool used prominently.
You will be judged on these criteria:

Color and pattern use.
Flow of the room and object placement.
Pleasing decorations.
Overall style.

Each round you will be required to submit 6 pictures. 3 for each room.
Use angles that really show it off, but try not to have the camera too high over the room.
We want to feel as if we are in it.
One picture of the room must be at night.
If the house you are using has an open floor plan try to only take pictures of the given room for the round.
The only photoshopping allowed is to add a frame to your picture.
Since we have so many new faces, and if you are going to be a contestant, please read the Forum Contest Rules.
I have no patience for people that don't.

My tutorial has great tips and hints for professional picture taking. It was mostly written for sims but there are plenty of great pointers in it.
I HIGHLY recommend using this camera hack. It gives you greater range and control. Just make sure to back up the file you are replacing.

Panique Emergency Judge

The winner gets to claim they are not ONLY CAST King or Queen but also the first winner of a Sims 3 contest at this forum. The winner will also receive an animated gif avatar made with pictures of their choosing.

Application Round ~ Study/Office/Den & Living Room

Three pictures of a living room, one of them night.
Three pics of a study or office or den type room, one of them night.
Please label the Night pic. You can give us a description of your rooms. It adds some flare.

In this round submitting your pictures GUARANTEES you will advance to the next round unless, for some crazy reason, we have a buttload of entries. Then we may have to whittle it down.
You have until Monday, Sept 7, 7PM GMT -5 to submit your entries. You WILL be given a score for this round to add with your other scores.
So just because you are going through automatically, doesn't mean this round doesn't count.

Now bring it on and knock us out!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 2:07 AM
Contest Approved
Begins 8.31.09
Ends 9.31.09
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 2:55 AM
I'm here. Post away.

Can't wait to stea.....err...see all your awesome designs!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." ~Albert Einstein
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.~F.D.R.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 5:45 AM
I have a question: I'm going to be on vacation the 4-7, is that going to interfere with times?

I seem to have lost my mind. I'm going to look for it, if you see it tell it to wait for me.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 5:50 AM
Not if you get your application posted before you leave. The applications close on Sept 6. Guess I should change my post a little.

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:03 AM
Okay let me get this straight:
Two pictures of Study -One night, one day
Two pictures of Office- One night, one day
Two pics of Living Room/Den- One night, one day?

Correct??

I seem to have lost my mind. I'm going to look for it, if you see it tell it to wait for me.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyCat
Okay let me get this straight:
Two pictures of Study -One night, one day
Two pictures of Office- One night, one day
Two pics of Living Room/Den- One night, one day?

Correct??

No, three pictures of a living room, one of them night.
Three pics of a study or office or den type room, one of them night.

I makes sense in my head when I'm typing this out. Sorry to confuse you. :P

Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:08 AM
Okay, I'd like to do this. .
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:12 AM Last edited by Sisaly : 1st Sep 2009 at 6:23 AM. Reason: grammar
I had a feeling that builders would be into this!
Post when you're ready Ri.

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:23 AM
I'd like to try this . So I just post my 3 pics of living room and 3 pics of den here before Sept 6, 7PM ?
Also as the rounds go on, do you continue to use the same house or are you judging the rooms. In other words , do I have to stick to a certain theme or house or can I vary it ?
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by babu357
I'd like to try this . So I just post my 3 pics of living room and 3 pics of den here before Sept 6, 7PM ?
Also as the rounds go on, do you continue to use the same house or are you judging the rooms. In other words , do I have to stick to a certain theme or house or can I vary it ?

You can use any theme, any house, for any round. In fact, you can use a different theme and house for your den and living room. It's all up to you and what you think looks good. Be creative.

And yes, all you need to do is post your 6 pictures to be entered.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 12:21 PM
I was thinking of trying to join here, but after i saw the pictures, and you say the last one was the best, but i think they all look good, the 1st one is a little bit of minimalist and modern, which is my style, and which i prefer from the 3 pictures, maybe there should be a category or something...

Challenge breeds Excellence
Test Subject
#13 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 6:19 PM
I'll join. This sounds fun.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 9:33 PM Last edited by Sisaly : 1st Sep 2009 at 9:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by severe_009
I was thinking of trying to join here, but after i saw the pictures, and you say the last one was the best, but i think they all look good, the 1st one is a little bit of minimalist and modern, which is my style, and which i prefer from the 3 pictures, maybe there should be a category or something...

I'm not saying they don't all look good, but this contest is for the CAST tool, and having a plain green bedspread and white walls and floors doesn't really show off what the CAST tool can do. It's not only about the objects, but how you design your objects with the tool.

If you think this contest isn't for you, that's ok. You can wait and see what pictures other people post and if you think you can kick their butt, join the fray!

EDIT: And as for the picture at the top, it's just an example and not a hard and fast guideline. If anything the bathroom pic is an over exaggeration to show my point.

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:03 PM
I'll be a judge if there is a place available!
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dundoniandood
I'll be a judge if there is a place available!

Wonderful! Thank you.
And with that, the judging positions are filled.

Now where are the entries?

Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:37 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 3rd Sep 2009 at 12:09 AM.
First
Well... Here's My Classicly Themed Study. Tried to Incorporate a very casual feel to it, without it being to "Living Room". I have a few skill objects in place, while still having it in theme with the century. Wish we could texture the ceiling

Screeny 1,General Sitting, Night shot. Though it looks like it looks a little bit past night, it is. It's mainly for reading, and socializing.

Screeny 2, Painting and seating (for painting). Well this explains it self. Plain old sitting area, once again for books. And if sims are feel the need, they can paint the scene.

Screeny 3, General Shot of the room and A view into the office. Shows the basic layout of the room. Office is very simple. Desk has Clutter to fit the theme (no computer). NOt much to say.

For my Living Room, I decided to go a little crazy, but only a little. I gave it a water theme, Since the game used water themes so well. The columns seem out of place, but they give it a unique feel I also had a hard time trying to design the walls for the room, making them unique, and pretty at the same time, playing with the blue, blue green and green and blue palletes. i like it. without further ado...

Screeny 1, Overveiw. Plain and simple, just shows the layout of everything. like before. Not much to talk about.

Screeny 2, Bar. yeah, I wanted to keep it simple over here. I chose the vases because it had what appeared to look like coral so I said, why not. gave it a color to off-set the green and there it was. And I used the tiled divider because a plain dull color looked good in my opinion, but the time gave me the look I originally wanted, and its transparant tile, so yeah.

Screeny 3, Sitting area. Simple enough. NOt much to say. I like the curtains. A room like this shouldn't have to many image patterns, because them i'd look ugly. But those lamps are just perfect! Give a vibrant feel to the room

well, thats the rooms
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 2:55 AM
WOW!
The competition is off to a fantastic start!

Your entry is wonderful! I'm so glad people get what I was trying to explain.

matrix54, yes, that is fine. You can also change shots if you want. They will not be judged til Sunday. Which one is your Night shot?

BTW: Picture rules are different for the Contest forum. There is no in-line picture or size limit. The forum will automatically resize it.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:28 AM
Thank you And they were all taken between 10 and 5:30. morning doesn't start until 6:00, so I it in just in time But If anyone deems this as unfair, I can retake the shot at night. I wonder what the second One will be? something crazy, I HOPE!
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 3:45 AM
They need to very obvious either night or day. Yours are not. One helpful suggestion I would make is moving your Draw settings up. Found under Options. That way we can see out the window a little better. This is good if the view out of the windows is pretty.

Two pictures between 7am and 7pm, and one picture between 7pm and 6am.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 9:05 AM
Default Apllication
Here's my mix modern and wood design for the living room.

Night View

And here's my semi classic study with modern approach.

Night View
Screenshots

Challenge breeds Excellence
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 9:18 AM
Very nice severe 009! Love the woodwork. *adds to contestants*

I get so excited when people post their entries.

I really missed contests......

Forum Resident
#23 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 12:04 PM
Howzit K, great comp. I am absolutely useleeesssss at designing rooms and stuff. I will leave it up to the peeps who can really go to town. I will stick to my simming. I will be popping in here all the time to see how it is going. XX

I feel honoured, a Spanish magazine wants to feature my Desperate Housewives and Will Smith in their feature on celebrity sims.
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 12:12 PM
Well, you have until Sunday to think about it ....geez, I'm such a greedy wench. LOL

If you keep calling me K, people are going to wonder.

My real name is Kristi for all those that don't know. Sisaly is my four year old daughter's name. Just fyi. Could sooo tell you all were dying to know.

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 5:26 PM
Wow, great post guys! Keep it up!

Page 1 of 10