Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#51 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2
That means im very underweight. I am 5"3 and weigh under 60 pounds..
Are you sure that you've done your conversions correctly? If that's anywhere near true hun, you should have been in hospital a long, long time ago. You'd be near dead. I'm 5'4 and 42kg (94lb) and I'm seriously skinny at that weight. Not calling you a liar, just concerned.

Please call me Laura
"The gene pool needs more chlorine."
My Site
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 9:46 AM
I do not do as much exercise as I could do, which is my own fault. I also don't eat a 100% healthy diet - it's very balanced and healthy generally, but I'm all for pigging out on cake when it's offered up. I just can't stop sometimes.

But I am not fat! You can see my ribs and hip bones. I am 1 m 65 cm I think, and I weigh 47 to 49 kg. It just shows that everyone is different. For some people, they eat unhealthily, they'll put on the pounds.

I think that obesity is partly genetic, but partly lifestyle. If you are one of the people who put on weight easily and you pig out and never exercise, then that's going to lead to unnecessary weight.

Did you know, I read this Health Department poster that says "how much you should walk to burn off every bit of food that you eat" and had this chart saying that you should walk for 178 minutes after eating 2 pork chops for dinner! I eat 2 pork chops for dinner almost every night! I have to go to school! Where do I have the TIME to walk 178 minutes?! And food doesn't have to be BURNED OFF straight away, you need it, especially at my age, for growing, and keeping you going through the day.

And this was in a primary school, where there are girls who are at that age where they are hormonal, their body is changing and they do NOT need posters like that to make them feel worse about themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, rant over.

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Forum Resident
#53 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PuX- 80's
The only thing I find genes have anything to do with weight is, how fast/slow your metabolism is, your lazy-ness, and your body shape
Let me ask again: how is laziness related to genes?
#54 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 1:17 PM
With my BMI I did customary first and got a BMI of 2. But when I converted my stats to meters and kilos I got a 19. Not sure which one is right but I assume the 19. Since I'm not a skeleton person. Weird.
Instructor
#55 Old 11th Feb 2009 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elyasis
With my BMI I did customary first and got a BMI of 2. But when I converted my stats to meters and kilos I got a 19. Not sure which one is right but I assume the 19. Since I'm not a skeleton person. Weird.

2?
18-24 is suposed to be normal weight

“When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?”-Marilyn Manson
Scholar
#56 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 8:11 AM
Yes, BMI has units of kg per square metre. Formulae which use pounds and either square inches or square feet will generally include a conversation factor to ensure you end up with kg per square metre.
#57 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 10:29 AM
BMI is pretty much stupid. According to BMI standards, I'm underweight and quite unhealty having a 16-something body mass. And believe me, I'm no underweight at all and definitely not unhealty. I've got quite a lot of meat on my bones.

I'm not a doctor, but I think it is lifestyle and not genetic that really makes someone "obese".
I guess there might be a sort of "genetic predisposition" to weight-gain. I see friends of mine who really eat whatever and stay thin (even tho I highly doubt that they're actually healty; ever heard of cholesterol?) while I need to follow an healty diet and exercise a bit to stay "thin".
Yet "genetic predisposition" won't make you "obese". Eating too much makes you obese.

I know that often there's families where all the components are overweight or obese, but I think this depends on lifestyle as well. I mean, a kid raised by parents who eat junk food only and never exercise will most likely eat junk food and never exercise too.

I'm very sensitive to weight issues! I used to be a little overweight when I was 14-15een and this caused me to have some eating disorder later on (I've been on a 800 cal per day diet for over an year. I wasn't starving, but quite close. I was really stupid).
#58 Old 24th Feb 2009 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by slipknot93
2?
18-24 is suposed to be normal weight

Yeah I'm sure it's the 19.
Field Researcher
#59 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 8:04 PM
I personally believe that the majority of what influences obesity is one's lifestyle and environment. And I say this as an obese person myself. I'll freely admit that I've screwed up here. However, I do think that genetics have a small influence on the matter. Metabolism truly does vary from person to person.

That said, even those with a less efficient metabolism have the choice whether or not they want to make a priority of working harder to achieve or maintain a healthy weight. The only exception I see to this has been made before on this thread- the cost of healthy foods. I can go to the store and get a family sized box of processed macaroni cheese dinner for under a dollar (enough to feed several people), or I can stop by the produce section and buy a single eggplant for about twice as much.

Eagerly awaiting Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 25th Feb 2009 at 9:42 PM
If you spend money where it counts (real, unprocessed food) and waste it less (movies, music, club memberships), it all evens out in the end.

I like how everyone here thinks they're an expert on the subject.
Really, I think this has already been figured out by biologists.
We are "programmed" with genes that code for proteins and enzymes that help us digest and incorporate nutrients, and burn energy to heat our bodies. (Metabolism). Some people, genetically, do not have what is considered a "high" metabolism rate.
Others do have a high metabolism, and burn calories quite fast.

Your body adjusts its rate of metabolism based on how fit and active you are. A person who sits at a desk all day generally have low metabolism. In contrast, athletes, or people who exercise regularly, have high metabolism.

Therefore, people with naturally low metabolism, who sit behind a computer all day, eat convenience food, and then go home to sleep, will inevitably gain weight. Not to mention how unhealthy this lifestyle is.
People with high metabolism who perform the same daily routine as the person above, probably will not gain weight, but they certainly aren't doing their body any favors.

A person's weight is not necessarily the measure of a person's health.
**health rant over** haha.

Now, obesity has been around forever, but never in today's proportions. There is obviously something in our society that is causing it to become an epidemic. Which means, obesity is mostly lifestyle related.
Scholar
#61 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 12:21 PM
Obesity is caused by our lifestyle but if you lack the genes for it you don't get obese no matter what. I can eat loads not get fat. Some people eat less, watch out, do get fat. Can't blame them.

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Instructor
#62 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 11:29 PM
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 4:22 AM
I think both, my friend has 3 kids and shes skinnier than ever before, and she doesnt even workout, her family is very thin so i guess it could be genetics, but i also believe is the lifestyle, cause at least here theres fast food restaurants everywhere, life here can be so fast paced i guess they donthave time to cook a healthy meal...
Instructor
#64 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 5:22 AM
I think it's both.

Usually, people only pick one side, but my father believes it's genetics, while my mom and sister are leaning on the diets/food/nutrition.

I've noticed that fat people usually have fat parents/families. Granted, they could of been skinny as children and blew up because they were fed and learned to consume the most calorific things, but I still believe it might have to do with their parents and metabolism.

Parents with fast metabolism usually do pass it on to their children. Even after they eat nonstop or have babies or a sedentary lifestyle, the people are skinnier than ever! I've heard it declines after you hit twenties, but I know plenty who are in their thirties, forties, and even beyond and they're still really thin.

Then again, it might skip generations, because I knew a seventeen year old girl who had a fairly average mom (5'5" and 130-135 lbs) and sister (eleven years old and 5'0" carrying 102 lbs in the race of life) and she was 79 lbs and 5'2"! Seriously, she ate junk food and consumed soda every single day, even ate McDonald's every single day for a week and nothing ever happened to her! I don't know what was going on... she's way undersized.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 6:11 PM
From what I understand it's a little bit of everything, from lifestyle to genetics to even adaptations of out bodies based upon various circumstances.
Top Secret Researcher
#66 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 6:48 AM
Hunger is controlled by the hypothalamus, so over eating and under eating can be caused by a genetic problem with the hypothalamus (or associated brain regions).
Field Researcher
#67 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 888mph
I think it's both.

Usually, people only pick one side, but my father believes it's genetics, while my mom and sister are leaning on the diets/food/nutrition.

I've noticed that fat people usually have fat parents/families. Granted, they could of been skinny as children and blew up because they were fed and learned to consume the most calorific things, but I still believe it might have to do with their parents and metabolism.

Parents with fast metabolism usually do pass it on to their children. Even after they eat nonstop or have babies or a sedentary lifestyle, the people are skinnier than ever! I've heard it declines after you hit twenties, but I know plenty who are in their thirties, forties, and even beyond and they're still really thin.

Then again, it might skip generations, because I knew a seventeen year old girl who had a fairly average mom (5'5" and 130-135 lbs) and sister (eleven years old and 5'0" carrying 102 lbs in the race of life) and she was 79 lbs and 5'2"! Seriously, she ate junk food and consumed soda every single day, even ate McDonald's every single day for a week and nothing ever happened to her! I don't know what was going on... she's way undersized.

I agree with this.

But the reason I quoted it was that I knew someone that EXACT height and weight who ate junk all the time. freaky deaky.
Scholar
#69 Old 15th Aug 2009 at 9:57 PM
Sugar is crap to eat. And high fructose corn syrup or all the other variants of sugar which they put in in our food.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...FDGS24VKMH1.DTL

Scholar
#71 Old 16th Aug 2009 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
That's what I was thinking about too when I posted. That darn fructose corn syrup. Then why the heck do the advertise it and say it's good and it's made from corn?

Heck I would rather eat corn on the cob then drink that stuff mainly because I think corn on the cob is better tasting. Just not genetically modified like what they are doing which I find scary.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup Truth, Still Not Sexy, HFCS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67NMir6K0xk
http://www.westonaprice.org/modernf...ghfructose.html

High Fructose Corn Syrup & Obesity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y0vHBTJcdk

Then there are the commercials that are for it. I never saw these here in Canada have you seen them in the US?

High-Fructose Corn Syrup Ad 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbR...feature=related

High-Fructose Corn Syrup Ad 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsg...feature=related

High-Fructose Corn Syrup Ad 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJJ...feature=related

Never been to the US.

Ha Ha ha.. no way. They are suggesting it is HEALTHY. Idiotery. No wonder that USA people grow obese so rapidly. Supermarkets have HFCF shit here, but dang they don't advertise em as healthy here. USA is nuts. Freaking nuts.

Test Subject
#73 Old 21st Aug 2009 at 4:11 AM
100% lifestyle.

Show me an obese person 50 years ago.
Scholar
#74 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyberian_Trooper
I thought you were from the United States? Where are you from? Are you in Italy? I am in Canada but I wonder how much of that stuff is in a Canadian diet? Hmm now you have me thinking about that.

He is indeed Canadian as well.

A lot of that fructose syrup is found in dairy products, namely yogurt.
Test Subject
#75 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 9:49 AM
It cannot be 100% lifestyle.

There were plenty of obese people fifty years ago, but it was not so much of an epidemic back then. For example, William Howard Taft, the 27th President of the United States, was incredibly obese, and he was born more than 150 years ago.

Going back to lifestyle vs. genetics, I will speak from experience. As a child, my diet consisted largely of meat, bread, and fish. Vegetables? No thanks. Fruit? I think I will pass. Pop? Yes, I think I will have five cans today. Non-fat milk? Are you kidding? Give me whole milk! When I reached adulthood, my diet rarely changed. Sure, I ordered the occasional salad (with extra dressing to mask the taste of bitter green), but the amount of bread and meat increased. It was not uncommon to go through an entire loaf of bread in one sitting whilst eating pastrami sandwiches. Steak? Burger? Hot dog? I think I will have one of each. Am I overweight? Not even close. I am actually underweight (but healthy) for my height, and have weighed within the same ten pound range for more than thirteen years.

Is it genetic? According to old photographs and stories, my grandfather enjoyed roughly the same diet, and was never once taunted with the threat of obesity. Going back further, I once saw a photograph from the 1800s of my great-grandfather, who appeared to be a taller man with roughly the same weight and build. Coincidence? I think not.

I am not saying that lifestyle does not play a part, but as others have stated, genetics play a very significant role as well. It cannot be 100% of anything.

Page 3 of 4