Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#76 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 9:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1ove
He is indeed Canadian as well.

Actually, he said he was from Holland in another thread...

?
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 10:13 AM
He is indeed Canadian as well.

A lot of that fructose syrup is found in dairy products, namely yogurt.

I am from the netherlands, europe.

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Scholar
#78 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 12:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vanito
I am from the netherlands, europe.

Whoops... I got you confused with Fawkes. Sorry.
Alchemist
#79 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daveyman
With an increase in the level of obesity in the developed world, do people think obesity is in our genes or does our more fast food, convenient lifestyle have a lot to do with it?

boooth.
some people have a natural tendency to be large, whereas some just overdose on food. and i never say BAD or WRONG food because, cmon. a big mac thats just sitting on the table isnt harming anyone. its the person who decides to eat the entire thing in one sitting, plus fries, plus a cola/shake, who gets hurt in the end.

i also think ignorance about food plays a part. as well as ignorance about ones down metabolism. a lot of people think " one size fits all " in the world of health--it is not so. everyone has their own little set of guidelines, so when they try to follow someone elses, or visa versa, thats generally when negative results are achieved.

alas, i have the distinct feeling that very few people want to sit down and think about what works best for them personally. the current mentality is one of " gimmie the quick fix! now!!! "....

personally, i can eat candy and drink caffeine and easily go to sleep for 6-7 hours after. its just an example of how my body works differently from others. [ though im sure there are people with similarities elsewhere. ]

my advise would be simply to be aware and avoid gluttony. if you KNOW you arent hungry, dont eat. if you KNOW you dont really need it, dont get it, or save it for when you do. oh and you know how restaurants give you HUGE amounts of food? you dont have to eat it all in one sitting. you can eat half until youre full, pack up the rest, and have that later.
a lot of people eat unconsciously, meaning, they dont really think about what theyre eating. theyll eat in front of the TV, or with a group, and be so distracted by whatever else theyre doing that theyll miss the " hey, youre full, stop now " signal. im not saying eat with your eyes to your plate, but...eh. just be aware of what youre eating and how much. ANYTHING in too large an amount can kill you. even salt or cinnamon.

reminds me of a quiz i took... just for shits n giggles. i turned up 'fat and happy', but right now, im the perfect weight for my height. xD

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 11:03 PM
I like to say I believe in science. But I always become suspicious when people blame their shortcomings on genetics. Call me insensitive, but in my opinion things like ADD, depression, and obesity are over-diagnosed. People start thinking that they have no control over these things, so instead of working on trying to improve themselves, they either rely on drugs and medication or simply sit there and mope.

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Alchemist
#81 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WCF
I like to say I believe in science. But I always become suspicious when people blame their shortcomings on genetics. Call me insensitive, but in my opinion things like ADD, depression, and obesity are over-diagnosed. People start thinking that they have no control over these things, so instead of working on trying to improve themselves, they either rely on drugs and medication or simply sit there and mope.

Obviously you have never had anything like ADD or Depression.
Scholar
#82 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
boooth.
you can eat half until youre full, pack up the rest, and have that later.

Again, part of the problem is that the processed foods you get at restraunts, especially the fast-food types such as McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's etc., do not give you that "full" feeling, even though you've taken in a day's worth of calories, so you continue to eat. Given that the average American watches 5 hours of TV a day; after you remove 8 hours for sleep and 8 for work, that leaves 3 hours for all the rest of a normal day's activities. Not exactly a lot of leftover time for exercise. So, the growing rates are basically a lifestyle issue. Yes, there is a percentage of the population that is genetically inclined, but the overall percentages of obese people are much greater than genetics alone.

Being genetically inclined does not necessarily mean that you have to become obese, it means that you will have to work harder to not become so.

Quote:

In my family my father and I both suffer from depression, and my sister and one of her sons both have ADD. Although we all are on medications, we know they are only "helpers" and not a solution/cure. I attend a bi-weekly group therapy session , and many others in the group expect the medication to do all the work for them. I see this in other aspects of my life too, such as at work. People want a "miracle cure" and to not to have to exert themselves more than they have to.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Alchemist
#83 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
Again, part of the problem is that the processed foods you get at restraunts, especially the fast-food types such as McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's etc., do not give you that "full" feeling, even though you've taken in a day's worth of calories, so you continue to eat. Given that the average American watches 5 hours of TV a day; after you remove 8 hours for sleep and 8 for work, that leaves 3 hours for all the rest of a normal day's activities. Not exactly a lot of leftover time for exercise. So, the growing rates are basically a lifestyle issue. Yes, there is a percentage of the population that is genetically inclined, but the overall percentages of obese people are much greater than genetics alone.

thats where knowledge on anatomy/your body counts. a stomach is not that big. it doesnt take a lot to fill it, even if it doesnt feel like it.
personally i wouldnt touch mcdonalds with a 10 ft pole so i wouldnt really know what people who eat there experience. all i know is that if it drips with grease, it CANT be good for me.

Scholar
#84 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 9:00 AM
Its known for quite some while adding certain ingredients in food make sure people get the "full" feeling less fast. A lot of people know 'eating too many calories' is bad. Not many realise, certain foods make them saturated less fast. And beeing saturated fast makes them eat more. And desire more food. Because people are programed to eat till they are full.
Food companies make handy use of these ingredients for long. If you feel "full" less fast, so you will eat more. And SPEND more.
It has no use to tell people "do not east so many calories" when they are not warned about the physical addition of certain food ingredients or explained why they desire to eat loads of food.
The goverment does not warn people well about the real issue here.

- Sugar is a major problem. Sugar does not saturate well. You can eat a lot and not get saturated like with normal food. Excessive sugar intake leads to obesity and several major diseases.
- High corn fructose syrup is known for even saturating worse than sugar. You can eat loads of it and it does not saturate. HCFC is a (not natural) sugar. HCFC is a popular ingredient because its cheap and people love the taste.
- Sugars pass under many names: High fructose corn syrup, HCHC, sucrose, fructose, dextrose, maple syrup, honey, rice syrup, HMCS, cane juice, avage syrup. All these sugars have similar effects.
- Lots of diet food has sugars under other names. "Only natural sugars" means sugars hidden as agave syrup, maple syrup corn syrup, rice syrup or fructose.

What is an excessive amount of sugar?
In ancient times people ate about 2kg of sugars a year.
In 1830 in the USA it was 5kg a year.
End of the 20s century this is 70kg-100kg a year.
Our metabolism has not chanced much, yet our sugar increase is 35 to 50 times more. This is extremely exsessive.
85% of sugar is in processed food, so if you skip sugar in coffee and sweets you still eat loads of sugar. Most sugar is where you do not expect it.

"Parents are shocked when you explain that a 500ml bottle of Coke contains 10 teaspoons of sugar," says Kath Dalmeny, policy officer for the independent Food Commission. "When you give a child a drink, you don't think it's the equivalent of two-and-a-half packs of sweets."

Eating a lot of sugar is linked to diabetes, immune deficiencies, cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Excessive sugar may contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression.
Average supermarket food has excessive amounts of sugar.
Fat is not the only bad thing.

* numbers vary somewhat in sources depending on which sugars are measured.
* I tried to find english sources where possible.
* Several USA health companies deny the link with sugar. Many are sponsored by the sugar industry or commercial medicine industry.
http://www.davidrowan.com/2004/12/t...esity-wars.html
http://befreetech.com/sugar_sweet_poison.htm
http://www.naturalnews.com/007807.html
http://www.sugarshock.com/press/media_23disguises.htm
http://www.derestaurantsite.nl/saisonnier/alles_over/10
http://www.natuurdietisten.nl/detai...8&id=493&page=9

"When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars"
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 10:15 PM Last edited by WCF : 25th Aug 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2

Actually I had some pretty chronic depression when I was younger. I like to think I've gotten over it just fine. You know what really causes things like depression? No, not genetics or "chemical imbalances." How about things like loneliness, relationship problems, failure, financial issues, etc?

Years ago, people didn't rely on medication to solve all their problems. They stood up and dealt with it. Nowadays, people love to hear that they are not to blame for their problems. They are generally lazy or unwilling to actively do something about their problems.

And what about in other countries today? Do we see any other countries claiming obesity is genetic? Or is it just the most obese country making these claims?

That's not to say I don't think there are people with genuine genetic disorders. But I believe the majority do not fall into this category.

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Test Subject
#86 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 10:47 PM
obesity is caused by both lifestyle and genetics. If obesity runs in the family and you eat the recommended 2000 cals and day (women) and 2500 (men) then you are going to be obese unless you do some serious working out. Lifestyle on the other hand, if you eat the crap thats available today (takeaways, chocolate. . crap lol) your going to be obese whether it shows outside or not is down to genes. Some people eat this junk food constantly and remain as thin as a pin because the fat wraps around organs rather then the usual places. I think its a 50/50 split between the two to be honest- people have got used to not having to even walk to the shops anymore because you can do it all online. And obese people who complain about how hard they tried and failed. Well tbh your not trying hard enough. Im not talking about people who are ill or on medication which causes weight gain, I mean people who shove a burger in their mouths while saying 'im on a diet'. Again, its lifestyle and genes- some people are naturally curvaceous just like some are naturally stick thin. even without eating unhealthy
Theorist
#87 Old 25th Aug 2009 at 11:00 PM
Years ago, people didn't rely on medication to solve all their problems. They stood up and dealt with it. Nowadays, people love to hear that they are not to blame for their problems. They are generally lazy or unwilling to actively do something about their problems.

And what about in other countries today? Do we see any other countries claiming obesity is genetic? Or is it just the most obese country making these claims?

That's not to say I don't think there are people with genuine genetic disorders. But I believe the majority do not fall into this category.

I wholeheartedly agree. There was a time before ritalin solved every kid's problems. There was a time when medication was rare for a child to take, not the norm. I am overweight, and it is my own damn fault, because it was MY choice to eat fast food, MY choice to have that extra slice of pizza, MY choice to have three large scoops of ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Alchemist
#88 Old 26th Aug 2009 at 11:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by davious

I wholeheartedly agree. There was a time before ritalin solved every kid's problems. There was a time when medication was rare for a child to take, not the norm. I am overweight, and it is my own damn fault, because it was MY choice to eat fast food, MY choice to have that extra slice of pizza, MY choice to have three large scoops of ice cream.

im pretty sure ritalin only solves the parents' problems. its the beginning, for the kid.

/offtopic

Top Secret Researcher
#89 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 7:51 AM
Actually I had some pretty chronic depression when I was younger. I like to think I've gotten over it just fine. You know what really causes things like depression? No, not genetics or "chemical imbalances." How about things like loneliness, relationship problems, failure, financial issues, etc?

A chemical imbalance in the brain can definitely cause depression and/or various other psychological disorders. You can also get depressed from the causes you mentioned.

Genetics and evironmental factors shape the brain, and so because every individual's genetic makeup and evironmental influences are so unique and complex, every brain is unique and complex. Just because you experienced depression doesn't mean that you know why everyone else gets depression!
Scholar
#90 Old 27th Aug 2009 at 9:17 AM
Somehow it shifted from weight issues to mental health issues (?).

Yeah, but WCF, how many "years ago" was this? In 1800s and even up to maybe, Vietnam War, people did not have all the calorific foods, cell phones, crazy fattie burger ads and dancing girls in thongs on MTV! They also had much less population and resources, so it was pretty much granted that they could not obtain the medicine (I don't know, it might be different for the rich). Also, no one made it past what we would call middle school in US (I don't know, does Canada have that?) today. If you really want to dig back, they had the "worms will eat your blood to cure you" and "drill holes in your skull to prevent further illness or damage" in Thirteen Colonies.

Then we had Martha Stewart, Suze Orman, and Beth Ditto types...
Top Secret Researcher
#91 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 2:34 AM
Somehow it shifted from weight issues to mental health issues (?).

Obesity is definitely related to mental health issues.
Scholar
#92 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
Obesity is definitely related to mental health issues.

Yes, but earlier everyone was all, "NO! IT'S GENETIC!" or "YES! IT'S DIET!" or "C'mon, both!" Did the thread starter not consider the mental health issues?

Page 4 of 4