Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2014 at 11:56 PM
Default Crafts
I've seen things like sculpting, wood-work, knitting, bird/fairy houses ... but they are in OTHER threads about drawing, etc. I thought we need a separate thread...

I grow lavender, and like to make wands. I've given them to people for so many years, the last 2 years I just saved the blossoms. I don't know what to do with them anymore. But the lavender is in bloom, and I LIKE to make things with them. Lavender is sacred; well at least it smells good! I still have a wand I made years ago, beat it on my pillow at night and it still has a strong scent. They can be cooked with (lavender shortbread with lavender peach jam - yum), a tea with lavender and chamomile is soothing to stomach and spirit, they are a classic French herb for chicken, they are said to bring sweet dreams a peacefull sleep by smacking them (in a schet) on your pillow (that causes the flowers - actually they are the SEED pods - to release oils, even if they are years old!)

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 23rd May 2014 at 11:20 PM
Oh wow, that's really neat Gramma! What did you use for the wands?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2014 at 8:41 PM Last edited by grammapat : 25th May 2014 at 8:58 PM.
The whole thing (except for the ribbon) is part of the lavender plant. Lavender is a cluster of tiny flowers (which turn into the seed pods that carry the scent) that grow on long stalks. The stalks aren't round, like most plants, but actually SQUARE!. So I cut a bunch of stalks, tie a ribbon around the stalks close to the flowers, then bend all the stalks down so they cover the flowers. Weaving the ribbon around the stalks holds it all together. There is still enough leftover stalks to tie in bunches to throw on the BBQ, or give to someone with a fireplace.

Come on--- I know yous guys are creative. I may be the only one that still knits & crochets, but there are lots of craft sort of things I bet people do...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..