Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 2:21 PM Last edited by mistydoggoxo : 20th Feb 2017 at 2:36 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Sims 2 Not Running on Windows 10
Hi, I have recently installed TS2 on my new HP laptop. Its a difficult tragedy. I tried the Graphic Rules Mod which helped my problem of not bring able to enter the game, so now i could enter a neighborhood. However, I cant enter Create a Sim or a household. It does the loading sequence but then freezes. It does not enter Create a Sim or a household, long story short. I have tried a patch, but that isn't working, it wont even intall right and the program just crashes! This is my third time trying to make this work and this is my last hope. Thank you to anyone in advance who helps. Regards, Patrice

Update: Running it in compatibility mode does not work either.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:15 PM
There is a sticky thread up above about making TS2 run in Win 8 - I know it's not the same operating system but you might find some useful tips there.

It's not that the game won't work with Win10 though - I, and a few others run it without problems, so it's likely that's there's something preventing your game working. It's worth continuing to poke about because there are solutions to common problems around. Doing the graphic rules thing is a good first step and probably needed anyway to get the game to co-operate with your video card.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#3 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:15 PM
First, is it a version with CD or the Ultimate Collection?

Have you tried:
- running the programme as administrator ?
- running it in compatibility mode ?
- make sure your antivirus sees it as a "trusted" programme, too

Also where have you installed the game? I always install Games *outside* the main Program Files folder, to avoid problems with Windows doing weird things with it. So for example mine is in C:/Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raindrop_D
Also where have you installed the game? I always install Games *outside* the main Program Files folder, to avoid problems with Windows doing weird things with it. So for example mine is in C:/Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

Oh yeah, that's a thing apparently with older games. I installed on my E drive and apparently dodged that bullet.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Raindrop_D
First, is it a version with CD or the Ultimate Collection?

Have you tried:
- running the programme as administrator ?
- running it in compatibility mode ?
- make sure your antivirus sees it as a "trusted" programme, too

I own the 4 disc cd-rom version, and yes i have tried to run it as a administrator, and its intalled in the Programes Files
Inventor
#6 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:24 PM
If you haven't already, get the Ultimate Collection. I've found that, in my experience, the Ultimate Collection runs better on Win10 than previous versions of TS2.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
If you haven't already, get the Ultimate Collection. I've found that, in my experience, the Ultimate Collection runs better on Win10 than previous versions of TS2.

But how do i obtain the Ultimate Collection??
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 4:14 PM
Contact EA customer support through Origin, and tell them you own the CDs but they won't work on Windows 10. They'll give you a free copy of UC - if they don't, just try again with a different CS rep.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Contact EA customer support through Origin, and tell them you own the CDs but they won't work on Windows 10. They'll give you a free copy of UC - if they don't, just try again with a different CS rep.

Bless your soul
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 7:19 PM
Look at the article in my signature - I have heard it works for some players with disks too. Get the UC anyway, it you can - it is free
Mad Poster
#11 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 7:25 PM
It's definitely worth doing this. I got my SimCity4 upgraded to an Origin version too, free of charge They like you to be on Origin and they will try to persuade you to buy other games through them, but once you have the UC installed you don't even need to run origin to play it if you don't want to.

I couldn't get the disc version to install on Windows 10. I don't know what it was upset about.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 1:24 AM
The tutorial for Windows 8 works for Windows 10 as well (at least for me). Uninstall the game, and before re-installing set the autorun to compatibility with Windows XP service pack 2. Do that for both the original game CD and any expansion pack you may install. Once you are done, the game should run without problem. Not even Microsoft can mess with Thanos of Titan...

And this last time looking back I'll see my home, for she awaits me reaching for my soul. She calls my name, and waves me on. The fallen one, she stands in flames
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thanos
The tutorial for Windows 8 works for Windows 10 as well (at least for me). Uninstall the game, and before re-installing set the autorun to compatibility with Windows XP service pack 2. Do that for both the original game CD and any expansion pack you may install. Once you are done, the game should run without problem. Not even Microsoft can mess with Thanos of Titan...

I have been trying, the last couple of days, to install the game on Windows 10. Setting it to compatibility with service pack 2 caused the game to crash after I changed the GraphicsRules.sgr file to allow a resolution more than 800x600. So I tried service pack 3. That worked - until I tried to patch the base game.

Last night I found this thread, and decided to try to get UC, and got a very helpful CS rep and now I have it. Definitely worth trying that.