Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 3:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default CC files disappearing after saved game ~ MACBOOK AIR
I'm currently playing the Sims 2 Super Collection for Macbook Air. For some strange reason, some of the build and buy mode CC will be completely gone when I open up the game after I have used the files. Some of the files stay intact in my downloads folder, yet aren't showing up in the catalog, and some are just GONE. I am not having this problem for other cc files such as clothes, hair, makeup etc, so what could be going on? Does anyone else have this issue? I'm wondering if its just a file space limit, but that doesn't make sense because I continue to download cc and any non build/buy will stay after I use it.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 5:31 PM
Have you checked your hard drive for failure/corruption? That sounds like the most likely cause at this point - some Windows anti-viruses have been known to do similar things to character files, but they shouldn't affect CC and you probably aren't running anti-virus anyway. The other option is some weird file permissions issue, but I don't know nearly enough about Apple OS to guess at what that could be.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 5:42 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th Feb 2017 at 6:07 PM.
Sims2 on Mac has a file limit, but I can't remember what that limit is. You'll probably find it in a guide somewhere.

There's also a chance Macs have a character limit on file paths, and your files are too deep into the folder for the game to read them - or even for the mac to read them. Try to not place them more than 1-2 subfolders deep, with short enough file names.
(I have seen file corruption where files with too long file paths would change file names/become corrupted on a PC with XP, but I'm not familiar enough with Macs to know if this can even be a problem. My one school year spent with Macs involved a lot of frustration, but only the mere basics of how they work...).

I'm not sure how Macs deal with files with strange names, but you might want to avoid any characters other than Aa to Zz, 0 to 9, - and _
Spaces should also be avoided.

Other than that, an over-active antivirus program, or even a virus of some sort (yes, Macs can get viruses and malware) could be causing your problems.

The Super collection is an Origin program, and Origin can sometimes be a pain in the you-know-where, so you should also make sure the game is working fine. Do a backup of your saved game (the entire "The Sims 2" folder in Mac's version of Documents) , and then do a "fix game" in Origin, to make sure everything is in working order.

Also make sure the CC you're using is for your game setup. If they require an EP you don't have, the items can misbehave or stop working.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 7:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Sims2 on Mac has a file limit, but I can't remember what that limit is. You'll probably find it in a guide somewhere.

There's also a chance Macs have a character limit on file paths, and your files are too deep into the folder for the game to read them - or even for the mac to read them. Try to not place them more than 1-2 subfolders deep, with short enough file names.
(I have seen file corruption where files with too long file paths would change file names/become corrupted on a PC with XP, but I'm not familiar enough with Macs to know if this can even be a problem. My one school year spent with Macs involved a lot of frustration, but only the mere basics of how they work...).

I'm not sure how Macs deal with files with strange names, but you might want to avoid any characters other than Aa to Zz, 0 to 9, - and _

Other than that, an over-active antivirus program, or even a virus of some sort (yes, Macs can get viruses and malware) could be causing your problems.

The Super collection is an Origin program, and Origin can sometimes be a pain in the you-know-where, so you should also make sure the game is working fine. Do a backup of your saved game (the entire "The Sims 2" folder in Mac's version of Documents) , and then do a "fix game" in Origin, to make sure everything is in working order.

Also make sure the CC you're using is for your game setup. If they require an EP you don't have, the items can misbehave or stop working.

maybe the sub folder / file name is the issue....
My Downloads folder looks like this

> build
> buy
>clothes v
>every day
>athletic
>formal
>underwear
>pjs
>outerwear
>swimwear

> hair
> lots > installed
> makeup
> mods
> nighbourhood deco
> pets
> sims

I didn't think that was bad, but maybe for my macs sake I'll have to keep it totally unorganized and take out the subfolders. I'll rename the files first though lol
~ And I bought this collection from the mac app store by Aspyr, not origin. so im not sure how I would fix it. thanks though!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 9:55 PM
I would not have it totally unorganized, that is swapping one problem for another. How many files do you have?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 12:17 AM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 14th Feb 2017 at 12:36 AM.

I play The Sims 2: Super Collection on my iMac and it runs great for the most part.

The Mac Open File Limit issue is a problem that develops between 11800 to 12000 downloads. If that is the problem there is a way to correct this issue, but it is complicated. However, I can share the info on how to change the limit if that is desired or needed, just ask.

I have 3.06 GB of content in my The Sims 2/Downloads amounting to 9143 files and my game runs fine.

Correcting Misinformation:

Note: The Sims 2: Super Collection is not an Origin Program it is a port to the Mac by Aspyr. To fix issues with the game install one needs to delete the game and then re-download the game from the App Store on the Mac. This is the last thing one should do however.

Note: there is almost no risk of a Virus or Malware {just don't give permission to install unless it is from a verified source}, so if you do have anti-virus software you should delete it. I don't have any sort of virus protection and I have had zero issues with them for many years now.

Note: The Sims 2 Folder does not live in the Mac's <User>/Documents folder, rather it is in the path <User>/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2

If your Downloads folder is in not in the path <User>/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads none of the CC would show up. One also needs to tell the game to load CC and restart.

My set up includes 3 levels of subfolders within /The Sims 2/Downloads folder and it works fine all CC that is compatible shows up just fine. Some types of CC will not show up in your game if it is a re-coloured object and you don't have CEP. I don't personally have it, so I don't download those sorts of re-coloured objects. However most CC does not fall into the category that needs the CEP, so not much of an issue.

Any CC that was made with a game engine newer than BV will not work, so one needs to be aware of what is compatible and what is not. On MTS there is a download Filter that I love that automatically sorts to show downloads that are compatible. I use it all the time and most of the time I don't have a problem.

Check and make sure that the CC that you install is Compatible with Bon Voyage i.e. BV. or earlier and not FT or AL.

Spaces in the the Directory Names work fine, but personally I don't change the files names so I don't know about that. The Limit on the length of the folder names and file names is not small and should not be a factor in most cases, since I have not encountered any problems and I don't keep the folder names short and I don't change the file names to make them shorter.

So your subfolder naming and file naming system should not be the cause of the problem I think.

Don't install everything in the Download folder and do use sub-folders as it much easier to manage your game and your CC if you use sub-folders. I use lots of sub-folders 3 levels deep to keep things organized.

Don't change the File Names as that can cause a problem in some cases.

Count the number of files in your Downloads folder by using Get Info, select the folder and then either clicking Command and I at the same time or going to the File Menu and selecting Get Info. The Finder will open a window with the amount of content in GB or what ever and the number of files at the top.

Then include the number of files in your Downloads folder in a post to us.

Unless you have over 11800 files in your Downloads folder it is not the Open File Limit Issue.

Which particular Build/Buy Mode CC is disapearing?

Please Give us some more information and we will try to help.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
I play The Sims 2: Super Collection on my iMac and it runs great for the most part.

The Mac Open File Limit issue is a problem that develops between 11800 to 12000 downloads. If that is the problem there is a way to correct this issue, but it is complicated. However, I can share the info on how to change the limit if that is desired or needed, just ask.

I have 3.06 GB of content in my The Sims 2/Downloads amounting to 9143 files and my game runs fine.

Correcting Misinformation:

Note: The Sims 2: Super Collection is not an Origin Program it is a port to the Mac by Aspyr. To fix issues with the game install one needs to delete the game and then re-download the game from the App Store on the Mac. This is the last thing one should do however.

Note: there is almost no risk of a Virus or Malware {just don't give permission to install unless it is from a verified source}, so if you do have anti-virus software you should delete it. I don't have any sort of virus protection and I have had zero issues with them for many years now.

Note: The Sims 2 Folder does not live in the Mac's <User>/Documents folder, rather it is in the path <User>/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2

If your Downloads folder is in not in the path <User>/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads none of the CC would show up. One also needs to tell the game to load CC and restart.

My set up includes 3 levels of subfolders within /The Sims 2/Downloads folder and it works fine all CC that is compatible shows up just fine. Some types of CC will not show up in your game if it is a re-coloured object and you don't have CEP. I don't personally have it, so I don't download those sorts of re-coloured objects. However most CC does not fall into the category that needs the CEP, so not much of an issue.

Any CC that was made with a game engine newer than BV will not work, so one needs to be aware of what is compatible and what is not. On MTS there is a download Filter that I love that automatically sorts to show downloads that are compatible. I use it all the time and most of the time I don't have a problem.

Check and make sure that the CC that you install is Compatible with Bon Voyage i.e. BV. or earlier and not FT or AL.

Spaces in the the Directory Names work fine, but personally I don't change the files names so I don't know about that. The Limit on the length of the folder names and file names is not small and should not be a factor in most cases, since I have not encountered any problems and I don't keep the folder names short and I don't change the file names to make them shorter.

So your subfolder naming and file naming system should not be the cause of the problem I think.

Don't install everything in the Download folder and do use sub-folders as it much easier to manage your game and your CC if you use sub-folders. I use lots of sub-folders 3 levels deep to keep things organized.

Don't change the File Names as that can cause a problem in some cases.

Count the number of files in your Downloads folder by using Get Info, select the folder and then either clicking Command and I at the same time or going to the File Menu and selecting Get Info. The Finder will open a window with the amount of content in GB or what ever and the number of files at the top.

Then include the number of files in your Downloads folder in a post to us.

Unless you have over 11800 files in your Downloads folder it is not the Open File Limit Issue.

Which particular Build/Buy Mode CC is disapearing?

Please Give us some more information and we will try to help.

Hi, thank you for your feedback! I went in my downloads folder and checked:
I have 1,521 cc files - which is 717 MB
I checked my mac storage and it still has about 25.56 GB remaining, so I shouldn't worry about the limit.
the build/buy mode files have been meshes of windows, doors, couches, tables, decorative items ....that I have noticed. I have used some of these files on my pc before when i played the ultimate collection, and they worked fine.

I've paid close attention to the EP and SP requirements, and usually its Base game compatible. the only thing that could be the case is that the creator of the file said it was compatible with the base game, but they were using the ultimate collection to make the mesh. (If this is even how you make meshes)

I have found that when I download some sims, pets and lots, the installer tells me that I can't download that particular sim because it has dada of the expansion packs that I do not have. Maybe this is the same case with my cc problem?
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 2:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by leenxsims
Hi, thank you for your feedback! I went in my downloads folder and checked:
I have 1,521 cc files - which is 717 MB
I checked my mac storage and it still has about 25.56 GB remaining, so I shouldn't worry about the limit.
the build/buy mode files have been meshes of windows, doors, couches, tables, decorative items ....that I have noticed. I have used some of these files on my pc before when i played the ultimate collection, and they worked fine.

I've paid close attention to the EP and SP requirements, and usually its Base game compatible. the only thing that could be the case is that the creator of the file said it was compatible with the base game, but they were using the ultimate collection to make the mesh. (If this is even how you make meshes)

I have found that when I download some sims, pets and lots, the installer tells me that I can't download that particular sim because it has dada of the expansion packs that I do not have. Maybe this is the same case with my cc problem?

There are two likely reasons for the windows, doors, couches, tables, decorative items that you downloaded not appearing properly.

One reason would be that at least some of them are re-coloured objects that must have The CEP installed in order to appear.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion as I do Not have The CEP installed.

I am referring here to The "CEP" -Color Enable Package v.9.2 http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=92541

It has to be manually installed and it doesn't have the current info needed to do it on OS X 10.5 or newer and The Sims 2: Complete Collection. However I do have the needed instructions some place, so if you want to try to install it I can send them to you if you would like to try. Me I decided to just not do it, so I can't be of much help with The CEP and installing it beyond sharing the info that I have gathered on installing it.

The other likely reason is that one or more of the windows, doors, couches, tables, decorative items that you downloaded are not appearing properly because they were created with either FT, AL or the UC game engines. Such CC that is created with any game engine newer than BV will not work. I think it is likely such CC won't appear, but I am not sure.

If someone uses the Any Game Engine thing that person can create something that is Base Game Compatible, and if it still doesn't work it likely a re-colour and you need The CEP in that case.

I usually don't try to download most Sims, Pets, and Lots myself as they do give me the same problem as you have experienced. I just make my own Sims and Lots.

Where did you download the problematical content? Myself I like to download most of my CC that is not a MOD here on MTS, because they have a feature that allows one to Filter the Downloads so only Compatible CC will show up. I really love the feature and it works pretty well.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 3:04 AM
There are two likely reasons for the windows, doors, couches, tables, decorative items that you downloaded not appearing properly.

One reason would be that at least some of them are re-coloured objects that must have The CEP installed in order to appear.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion as I do Not have The CEP installed.

I am referring here to The "CEP" -Color Enable Package v.9.2 http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=92541

It has to be manually installed and it doesn't have the current info needed to do it on OS X 10.5 or newer and The Sims 2: Complete Collection. However I do have the needed instructions some place, so if you want to try to install it I can send them to you if you would like to try. Me I decided to just not do it, so I can't be of much help with The CEP and installing it beyond sharing the info that I have gathered on installing it.

The other likely reason is that one or more of the windows, doors, couches, tables, decorative items that you downloaded are not appearing properly because they were created with either FT, AL or the UC game engines. Such CC that is created with any game engine newer than BV will not work. I think it is likely such CC won't appear, but I am not sure.

If someone uses the Any Game Engine thing that person can create something that is Base Game Compatible, and if it still doesn't work it likely a re-colour and you need The CEP in that case.

I usually don't try to download most Sims, Pets, and Lots myself as they do give me the same problem as you have experienced. I just make my own Sims and Lots.

Where did you download the problematical content? Myself I like to download most of my CC that is not a MOD here on MTS, because they have a feature that allows one to Filter the Downloads so only Compatible CC will show up. I really love the feature and it works pretty well.

I actually do have the CEP installed, and recolours do show up.
The cc I downloaded were all from here on MTS. So the files probably were just made using FT, AL or UC. guess theres nothing I can do about that!
thanks for your help everyone
Mad Poster
#10 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 3:13 AM

And the day you realize Macs can also be vulnerable to viruses, you'll regret it. The main reason there aren't as many virus attacks on Macs is because there are more PC/Windows users, so fewer shady people make malware meant for Macs. But Macs aren't just for the Adobe users and graphic designers any longer. Deleting antimalware programs might not be the best advice.

I've used Windows ever since my family's first PC that ran Win95, and with antivirus/antimalware, my computers over the years haven't had many malware attacks, and all were stopped by the antimalware programs before they got the chance to do anything.

The trouble with malware is that you don't always notice it getting onto the system. Malware can hitch a ride with other, seemingly innocent files, and can sneak upon you from shady websites and with ads. Antimalware programs are there to be an extra layer of protection, and can warn you if something seems off with a file.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 4:56 AM
And the day you realize Macs can also be vulnerable to viruses, you'll regret it. The main reason there aren't as many virus attacks on Macs is because there are more PC/Windows users, so fewer shady people make malware meant for Macs. But Macs aren't just for the Adobe users and graphic designers any longer. Deleting antimalware programs might not be the best advice.

I've used Windows ever since my family's first PC that ran Win95, and with antivirus/antimalware, my computers over the years haven't had many malware attacks, and all were stopped by the antimalware programs before they got the chance to do anything.

The trouble with malware is that you don't always notice it getting onto the system. Malware can hitch a ride with other, seemingly innocent files, and can sneak upon you from shady websites and with ads. Antimalware programs are there to be an extra layer of protection, and can warn you if something seems off with a file.

:rolls eyes:

I really don't care to argue about it, I am however someone that has used Macs since 1987 and I have not had a Virus since 1990. Malware can not install itself on a Mac running OS X with out an Administrator giving it Permission. I have Never had any Malware on my Mac, ever. My Opinions are my own and I made it clear that it was my Opinion.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Feb 2017 at 6:11 PM
That's the end of that argument, let's get back on topic with trying to find solutions for OP's problem.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.