Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 12:46 AM
Default Strangest Thing(s) You Collect...
Out of your many collections of various items, you have a collection of out of your collections that stands out and is telling of your personal being.

I collect a variety of physical audio and video optical disc media, so CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs. For quite some time, I used to collect the Region 2 DVDs of Sailor Moon and a few of the anime adaptation of Powerpuff Girls back in 2010 and even the Super Sentai series Gaoranger back in 2008, which my entire 9 disc out of 12 Collection got lost in transit in our 2016 move. The collection started when I thought neither Sailor Moon or Gaoranger would receive any North American release in the near future.

What is the most telling of my collection is I collect Disney and Pixar DVDs from all 6 regions, from different locales as regions can span numerous countries beyond Region 1 (US and Canada) and Region 6 (Mainland China).

For example, one could have Nordic languages and others Middle Eastern in Region 2 as most of Europe, Egypt, South Africa, The Middle East and Japan are under this jurisdiction.

I have access to play such discs and I enjoy watching and listening to the lingual nuances.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 12:53 AM
^ what's the point of having DVDs from other regions? Can you watch them?

I think my weirdest ones were kinderegg toys (most are thrown away now, but I think we had at least 3-4 full plastic bags), and candy paper with cute pictures on them (also mostly thrown away by now). I collected a lot of weird things as a child. I had a rock collection (I think mom threw it away at some point) and at one point I think I had around 200-300 plushies of varying sizes (from fit inside your hand to almost lifesize). I also had a LOT of stickers, and still buy them, but I don't seem to use them for anything much. My plan was to do scrapbooking, but I guess I never got that far.

Nowadays I mostly collect books. I've stopped counting, but I have two overfilled bookshelves and at least 5-6 boxes, probably also some older childrens' books in the attic, so there's plenty.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 3:57 AM
Anything Video Game and Star Trek related
Vinyls and Cassettes. Have about 50 vinyl records and I mainly find them at thrift stores for a couple of dollars each. I’m pretty sure the most I paid for a record was about $20

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 5:33 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 18th Aug 2019 at 5:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ what's the point of having DVDs from other regions? Can you watch them?

Yes, with the right equipment.

However, my father is no fan of the region\zone coding. Once you get him started on it, he acts like he wants to go back to the days of before the fall of the Tower of Babel (Bible story explaining the language barrier posed by the 800+ languages at the least on Earth.)

My collection of foreign DVDs, oddly enough, started with a Region 3 copy of Spider-Man (2002) from South Korea from an associate in my father's team at Microsoft's Home division (my father was a program manager at Microsoft for about 15 years, until he had a breakdown and chose simpler jobs to stay out of trouble. As a technology adept child, I used to test hardware and software. P.S. Microsoft was only good at mice and keyboards, any time they tried compete with phones and MP3 players, they lost out.) Anyway, you can change your computer's region coding, but only a set number of times before it is "locked" on that region.

Not to mention, I would have to refer back to sophomore year high school and videography class and the regional formats of NTSC, PAL and SECAM, which are part of the frame rate and signalling system that broadcast standards go by world wide. NTSC is USA, Canada, Japan and South Korea and throughout the world it's either PAL, SECAM or a compatibility between the two. As SECAM is rare, the standalone machine I have is either NTSC or PAL compatible. I have a rig that is compatible with computer usage.

I watched Spider-Man once and I couldn't find that Stan Lee cameo. I was told he appears at a sunglasses cart.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 11:53 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Aug 2019 at 2:58 PM.
You can find his cameos by searching the movie title and Stan Lee on YouTube. I found a lot of compilations, including a couple for all the spiderman movies. The ones for 1 and 2 are very short, as in blink and you miss it short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfRJT6eF204 (from the 2002 run and the 2012 run, not the most recent ones).
Alchemist
#6 Old 18th Aug 2019 at 1:20 PM
I collected chestnuts as a kid. We had a large old tree near us, and when it was autumn we used footballs and sticks to get the biggest and fresh ones. Some were baked and eaten later, but they were mostly put in plastic bags until I had 1000+ useless chestnuts.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#7 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 12:10 AM
I collect old disk games and old consoles and books..... I have too much stuff in my sleepout since my mother made me move my stuff from the garage to my room... and empty out where I sleep...

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord
Space Pony
#8 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 2:51 AM
I hoard socks. I literally have like every color and even seasonal ones

Dag-Dag
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2019 at 8:31 AM
I also collect dolls, but the ones that I seek are usually weird like Monster High or Ever After High. In other words, does not have to be the sometimes girly, sometimes the everywoman in terms of careers (at last count, Barbie has held up to 200+ jobs and careers) type of doll.

However, I have been known to swap heads on Barbie dolls so I can get a doll with more points of articulation. I eventually repurpose the discarded body as dressmaker dummies or mannequins.