Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 8:00 PM Last edited by Simul8rReviews : 21st Jun 2011 at 2:02 AM.
Default Object Not-Recolourable? Also, Messed Up Shadow
erm. I was following Flabaliki's tutorial on meshing..

I did all the steps in the tutorial, and my object turned out to be like this:

(don't mind the random glowing flooring.. i was in CAStyle and well.. my curser happened to be over that flooring

uhmm.. i believe this is a texture problem? Maybe?

you can change the texture.. but not the colours.. this is very odd. Can someone help me figure this out?

also.. the shadow.. it's far off

Formally SeeMyu | Retired Mod
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 12:17 AM
The shadow just looks like you didn't remesh the shadow group. The other issue I'm not sure about since there's a couple things I can think of that could cause this. Did you use S3OC and S3PE to make this chair? If so, could you post the object so I can look at it?
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 1:24 AM Last edited by Simul8rReviews : 21st Jun 2011 at 5:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
The shadow just looks like you didn't remesh the shadow group. The other issue I'm not sure about since there's a couple things I can think of that could cause this. Did you use S3OC and S3PE to make this chair? If so, could you post the object so I can look at it?

Yes, I used S3PE and S3OC. I uploaded the package below.

Alchemist
#4 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 2:58 AM
It looks like you've overwritten the Multiplier with the Mask and not changed the original Mask...you have two Masks (red/green/blue Img) in there.

The original object looks like it has two recolorable channels and you're trying to make it have three. If you want it to do that you're gonna have to enable the third channel most likely.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 5:27 AM Last edited by Simul8rReviews : 21st Jun 2011 at 5:44 AM.
It looks like you've overwritten the Multiplier with the Mask and not changed the original Mask...you have two Masks (red/green/blue Img) in there.

The original object looks like it has two recolorable channels and you're trying to make it have three. If you want it to do that you're gonna have to enable the third channel most likely.

Ah, I see where I went wrong, I saved over the multiplier file instead! . And, sorry I'm asking.. im new to meshing without TSR Workshop.. so how would I be able to enable the third channel?

Alchemist
#6 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simul8rReviews
Ah, I see where I went wrong, I saved over the multiplier file instead! . And, sorry I'm asking.. im new to meshing without TSR Workshop.. so how would I be able to enable the third channel?
Open your object with s3pe, click on the OBJD line and then the Grid button near the bottom.

When the DataGrid box pops up choose the Materials line and then hit the little button at the far right (it will have three little dots in it). This little button only shows up after you've clicked on the line so don't be surprised if you don't see it at first.

In the next pop-up box hit the + sign next to Material Block on the right side. Click on Complate Overrides and again the little box that shows up on the right that has the little dots.

In the next pop-up click on each of the lines there and look at the description for that field that shows up on the right side. You're looking for one where the VariableName says Pattern C enabled. (TC07_Boolean) In the Unknown1 field below that you want it to say true. Yours will say false right now so just click on the Unknown1 line and a drop-down will appear on the right side...pick True.

Hit OK and it will go back to the previous pop-up box. If your object has more than 1 material in the list on the left you'll need to do this for each of them or they will still only have 2 recolorable channels.

Once you've enabled all the Materials on the list there click OK, then Commit, then File/Save.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 2:51 PM
Thanks OM! You helped me fix the colour problem!

But, I'm still having troubles with the shadow. I have remeshed all the other files for the chair, as said to in the tutorial... but I don't get why it's doing this

Alchemist
#8 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 8:35 PM
Thanks OM! You helped me fix the colour problem!

But, I'm still having troubles with the shadow. I have remeshed all the other files for the chair, as said to in the tutorial... but I don't get why it's doing this
Did you change the shadow group +/- remap it so it fits your new object?
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:08 AM
Did you change the shadow group +/- remap it so it fits your new object?

I bet that's it because I have no clue what the group +/- is. The tutorial didn't say anything about this :/

Alchemist
#10 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:15 AM
I bet that's it because I have no clue what the group +/- is. The tutorial didn't say anything about this :/
I apologize because I was not clear there. I meant to ask if you remeshed the shadow group and changed the mapping for it if necessary to get the look you want. By +/- I meant + changed the mapping if it needed it or - didn't change it if remeshing alone was sufficient.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:18 AM
Well, I did change the mapping for the original mesh. But, in the tutorial.. it said to import the first mesh over the shadow group. then delete the original and change the original mesh name to group00. Does that also have to be mapped?

Alchemist
#12 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:20 AM
Well, I did change the mapping for the original mesh. But, in the tutorial.. it said to import the first mesh over the shadow group. then delete the original and change the original mesh name to group00. Does that also have to be mapped?
Can you post the chair you have now so I can look at it...I'm confused by what that tutorial is telling you to do and it will be quicker for me to help if I can see what you have.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:59 AM
here you go
Attached files:
File Type: rar  SIMul8rReviews_AutumnLifeChair1.rar (525.8 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content

Alchemist
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 1:18 AM
When I look at that in MS it looks like the shadow is mapped incorrectly. You need to apply EA's shadow IMG to your shadow plane and remap it. This is the shadow IMG that EA uses for most objects:

http://jaue.com/om/EA_shadowIMG.rar

Open a clone of EA's original chair to get an idea of how things should look and then base the map for your shadow on that.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 2:14 AM
Mapping as in UV Mapping?

or as in this:

Sorry about all the frantic questions. This is all very new to me.
I'm just really confused on how to use the EA Shadows. :/
Screenshots

Alchemist
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 3:55 AM
Mapping as in UV mapping. That big mesh is for the sunshadow. The plane that's mapped to EA's shadow IMG is for the groundshadow indoors. When you look at the 4 lods, the first, the 00000 has a plane under the main mesh(es) and none of the others do. This is the plane I'm talking about. Bring your object into MS and assign that shadow IMG to the plane group as a texture. You'll see that yours is not mapped correctly and this is why your shadow isn't showing up right in game.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 9:11 PM
erm.. okay. I re-mapped it with LithUnwrap (which was less difficult than UV Classic)

And now, the object look like this in MS:

goodness! so many problems! D:
Screenshots

Alchemist
#18 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 10:19 PM
Can't help you there...I don't use either one of those. For objects I've made with MS I use MS Texture Coordinator Editor to map with. It's very easy and it works every time. I posted a link to my tutorial on how to use it somewhere around here. If you're interested and can't find it let me know.
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 11:29 PM
Yes, I am interested

Alchemist
#20 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 12:01 AM
It was written for S2 so there are a few minor differences...the most important is that in S3, unlike S2, you can only have one IMG of each type for a given object. If you have questions let me know.

http://jaue.com/om/OM_TextureMappingwithMilkshape.rar
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 1:10 AM
woah! that was simpler than I thought it would be! Thank you, I'll take a shot at this with the chair. Also, is it okay if I use the mask for the material? Would it effect anything if I did?

Alchemist
#22 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 1:16 AM
woah! that was simpler than I thought it would be! Thank you, I'll take a shot at this with the chair. Also, is it okay if I use the mask for the material? Would it effect anything if I did?
Yeah...that's the beauty of MS...it's simple Not sure what you mean by "use the mask for the material"
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 1:23 AM
meaning, like this

Screenshots

Alchemist
#24 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 1:30 AM
Typically what you're gonna want to do with an object like the one you're working with is this:

1. Create your mesh

2. Map your mesh on a generic .dds or .png that has a checkered pattern so you can see that your map is not causing pattern distortion

3. When object is mapped to your satisfaction take it into Blender and bake it to create the Multiplier...tweak as needed to get it looking perfect

4. Create your new Mask to match the map you've made

5. Fix your Specular

6. Make sure those are all in .dds form, rename, and import them into your object package to overwrite the originals
Interstellar Traveler
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 1:38 AM
Typically what you're gonna want to do with an object like the one you're working with is this:

1. Create your mesh

2. Map your mesh on a generic .dds or .png that has a checkered pattern so you can see that your map is not causing pattern distortion

3. When object is mapped to your satisfaction take it into Blender and bake it to create the Multiplier...tweak as needed to get it looking perfect

4. Create your new Mask to match the map you've made

5. Fix your Specular

6. Make sure those are all in .dds form, rename, and import them into your object package to overwrite the originals

Alright, thank you so much for all of your help!

Page 1 of 2