Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 2:28 AM Last edited by ManGa_Ka : 26th Jul 2017 at 12:26 AM.
Default Sims 2 Custom Content Shows Only in Body Shop (since i got win8)
I have sims2 and all expansions+all stuff packs(no collection versions). I hadnt any problem on win7. However since im using win8 my custom contents works only in bodyshop and store items doesnt even show up in body shop they just dont work anymore. Any custom objects show up in my game. I enabled custom content like on the guides. I installed .packages files on my documents/username/ea games/sims2/downloads. Some downloads doesnt even shows on body shop (i have meshes yes). I tried to change compatibility and administrator settings and didnt work. I even try to create sub folders but didnt work. Any ideas? Im searching during days and didnt find nothing to solve my problem. Also in bodyshop custom content symbol is grayed out even i have custom contents but i cant filter them. I made sim with bodyshop custom content and saved to simbin, when i entered game sim wasnt on simbin, just didnt appear on sim list. I tried clean installer. It shows all my custom content white except objects (all them are red). However even with this program custom content doesnt shows in my game.

I also tried sims2pack. They wont install with ea package installer. So i used Clean Installer but didnt work also.
In game settings when i click custom content dialog its just empty and didnt detect any custom content (and yes i made correct settings to show custom content in my game)

Dont recommend me same solutions i tried:
install packages files on my documents/username/ea games/sims2/downloads.
install packages files under sub folder in downloads folder
change compatibility&open as administrator
enable custom content in game
use Clean Installer Note: My win8.1 opens sims2 ONLY compatibility win95 and win98. Any other settings will make the game crash when town is loading and wont work. Can this effect custom content shows?

Edit: in any case you need i have win 8.1 i7 6700K GTX 1060 6GB 16GB RAM Desktop Computer. So i have 1 graphic card.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Game runs only in win95 or win98 compability. Because of it my custom content doesnt show.
I know it because if i change compability or no compability my cc works but my town crashes.
I tested bodyshop. In win95 or win98 it stop showing cc. If no compability or different, cc works.
So problem is my compability settings however my game wont work without win95 or win98 compability
Game crashes equally with no custom content and no expansions. Problem is win8 and compability.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 2:52 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jul 2017 at 3:06 AM.
Sounds like your CC isn't properly enabled (oh, you might have enabled CC, but that doesn't always stick).

First of all, is the folder called "downloads" or "Downloads"? The game is picky, so if you made the folder, make sure it's spelled properly (with a capital D, and "s" in the end)

Second, make sure CC is actually enabled. If you have enabled CC, do it again. If that doesn't work, do it once more. Sometimes it takes a few tries for the change to stick. You can also try to visit a lot that doesn't have CC on it, then enable CC while on the lot, save the game, and quit. That can probably help force the game to save the settings. Change a few other settings while you're at it, and check them when reloading the game. If they're not sticking either, something else is wrong with your game,.

Third, since CC has worked for you earlier, I do assume you know you have to unpack zip/rar folders to make CC show up, but I'm mentioning it anyway just to get it out of the way.

Fourth, make sure you haven't write-protected any files the game uses to save settings (it's safe to do it to the "object.package" files to avoid neighborhood coruption from interacting with untouchables like Mrs Crumplebottom, but don't do it to the save files in Documents/EA Games).

Fifth, have you tried turning off the compability mode (but running as admin)? My game and S2CI runs fine without, though I'm on Win7. Windows is moody in any of the versions, so for some people the applications will only work with the compability mode and for some they work fine without.

Sixth, make sure you have the CEP. A lot of recolors and some meshes (mostly EAxis stuff, but some CC needs it too) need this to show properly, and it's easy to forget reinstalling it. (click the CEP autolink)

Finally, make sure you've got the right version of the Clean Installer (you should be able to click the underlined auto-link). Sims2pack files tend to be even more finnicky than regular package files, so concentrate on getting the rest of your files to show first.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 3:17 PM
Thanks for your help but i dont think your post helping me.

First: Downloads folder was made in game when i opened bodyshop. And little big letters are correct ''Downloads''
Second: I try to enable custom content endless times and i did it like in guide of mts. http://simswiki.info/images/thumb/a...px-Getimage.jpg http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b...s_cc-enable.jpg (my list is empty)
Third: To make the things clear; my custom content worked on Win7 not in win8. I just installed my sims2 in win8. It had no custom contents. I just try to install some cc and works only in bodyshop(not all but some).
Fourth: i just download simple things like eye color, skin color, store items. I didnt install any mod or something. Downloads folder was empty and i install some simple make up items and store items. i dont think i overwrite on any maxis item or make something corrupted. I also tested game only with custom eyes&skin but they works only in bodyshop.
Fifth: My game runs in win8.1 ONLY win95 and win8 compability mode, if i remove or change this, game crashes when town loading ''aplication will now terminate''. However i can remove open as admin and it works but cc wont appear.
Sixth: I didnt download anything need cep. As i said i even try only make up items and nothing appears in game.
Final: I have last version of clean installer.

I really can only think win8 fault or compability is too low. I cant give meaning why win8 hates my sims 2. Even sims1 works like charm with all cc
Mad Poster
#4 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 4:15 PM
Which game version do you have?
CDs or Ep-by-EP download from an official source? And in which case, which EPs/SPs do you have?
Any collections (like Fun with Pets or Double Deluxe)?
Or do you have the Ultimate Collection (the one from Origin)? (I'm guessing not, since it has a slightly different game path)
I'm asking because if you only have Nightlife (or Uni?) or below, CAS recolors go into the SavedSims folder. Some of the game versions are also known to create some issues with CC.

For the makeup or other CAS items, are you checking in the right category? They show up in different categories, so are you sure you checked all, even costume makeup? Some CAS content only shows for particular ages/genders and in certain categories.

As for compability issues, my version of M&G (CD) says it's compatible with Win98, Win2000, ME, Vista and XP, so setting it to Win98 compability should work (most people seem to have more luck with XP mode, though).

Since the CC shows in Bodyshop but not ingame, I have a feeling it's an ingame problem of some sort. When you go ingame after enabling CC, do the changes stick, or do you have to tick the boxes again the next time you open your game? That's very important - has to do with whether or not the game saves your settings.

Do the following:
Go to the "Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config" folder
Open a new internet browser window (windowed mode, not fullscreen)
Drag the "userProps" file over to the browser window
Look for these lines, and check if the bolded text is the same as here:

<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="allowCustomContent">true</AnyBoolean>
<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="disableCustomObjects">false</AnyBoolean>

If it's not, your CC isn't properly enabled.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 5:25 PM
I have sims 2+all expansion+all stuff installed in correct order and made updates. Final version.
I dont have any collections.
I dont have ultimate collection.
As i said at my first post i have sims2 with all expansions. So i follow guides +nightlife owners.

I have no custom content in any category in CAS. They comes to bodyshop only(hair, eye, skin) Also i dont have any objects in any category when im in lot.

Yes my last stuff is M&G and only way to run it win95 and win98. Im using win98.

In game my settings remain changed so i havent problem. I enable like on the pictures i sent, and it remain enabled when i reopen game so no problem. I even try disable/enable, reopen game countless times but they wont come to game. My settings always saved in game so i never get problem about this.

<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="allowCustomContent">true</AnyBoolean> this line looks correct.
<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="disableCustomObjects">true</AnyBoolean> here we got the problem

Second line effects only objects or also make up etc?

How can i fix this?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 5:37 PM
There is a post stickied at the top of this forum called How to Make Sims 2 Work with Win 8: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=500523

You might find useful information in there.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 5:49 PM Last edited by ManGa_Ka : 25th Jul 2017 at 6:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
There is a post stickied at the top of this forum called How to Make Sims 2 Work with Win 8: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=500523

You might find useful information in there.

I read this topic and already done all. I even write a comment about my way to run it because this guide didnt work for me.

Thanks anyway.

EDIT:

Quote: Originally posted by ManGa_Ka
<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="allowCustomContent">true</AnyBoolean> this line looks correct.
<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="disableCustomObjects">true</AnyBoolean> here we got the problem
How can i fix this?

I opened as notepad and fixed lines like that
<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="allowCustomContent">true</AnyBoolean>
<AnyBoolean type="0xcba908e1" key="disableCustomObjects">false</AnyBoolean>
still no custom content show in my game

Edit2: in any case you need i have win 8.1 i7 6700K GTX 1060 6GB 16GB RAM Desktop Computer. So i have 1 graphic card.

EDIT3: My custom content dialog appears and detects custom content ONLY if i remove compability mode. But as i said if i dont use win95 or win98 mode my game crashes when town loaded ''application will now terminate'' I searched milion pages and any other compability works for me. I even tried only base game installed and same compability needed to open my game so at least we can know its not about expansions. Any ideas ??
Alchemist
#8 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 8:17 PM
you might check your computer's firewall settings; those I think would be in the "Control Panel" section of computer.
if any part of the My Documents directory is blocked, might try to unblock it/them.

by the way, doing "Read Only" on Program Files directory is to prevent game corruption; not neighborhood corruption.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 9:43 PM
i did check firewall, even disable completely it doesnt fix my problem.

Please read my last post it seems like my problem is compability
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:16 PM
If your game starts up and runs with compability mode off, then you shouldn't need it - but maybe something is wrong with the town you're using. Have you tried making a new neighborhood and checking if that one will run?

Have you tried to delete the cache files (accessory/groups/cigen/contentregistry, all found in the "Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\" folder)?. They frequently cause troubles, and can make the game crash or refuse to open. Try that first.

Some CC can crash the game, but more often than not it's objects or hacks if the game crashes before you load a lot. Bad CAS CC usually doesn't crash when entering the neighborhood, but it can sometimes make lots crash, and also CAS and the Change appearance window.

Also, if your game runs fine without CC, but starts crashing when it detects CC, then the problem is often the CC items you put in. Do you have an example of files you've put in?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If your game starts up and runs with compability mode off, then you shouldn't need it - but maybe something is wrong with the town you're using. Have you tried making a new neighborhood and checking if that one will run?

Have you tried to delete the cache files (accessory/groups/cigen/contentregistry, all found in the "Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\" folder)?. They frequently cause troubles, and can make the game crash or refuse to open. Try that first.

Some CC can crash the game, but more often than not it's objects or hacks if the game crashes before you load a lot. Bad CAS CC usually doesn't crash when entering the neighborhood, but it can sometimes make lots crash, and also CAS and the Change appearance window.

Also, if your game runs fine without CC, but starts crashing when it detects CC, then the problem is often the CC items you put in. Do you have an example of files you've put in?

i tired all the towns, i even try to open LEARN TO PLAY. When it loaded it crashed with same error ''application will now terminate''
Only if i run in win95 or win98 compability town doesnt crash (but gives black screen i switch to desktop and return game then it works without any problem)
Any other compability ( xp service pack2,pack3,vista,win7,win8 or just no compability) detect my custom content. However win95 or win98 wont detect them.
Only difference i noticed if i run without win95 or win98, game runs 800x600 resolution (so i think my graphic settings not works) however i have my savedata working(i know it because town doesnt need to load pets/magic etc. like first run). This is really strange. So without win95/98 graphic settings reset but savedata and custom content works but town crashes.

I tried to delete cache files before and same happens it crashes when town fully loaded. I also tried without caches in win95/98 compability and no cc detected.

When i first installed my game, i couldnt run it same as now. No custom content and same crashes. I even try to install sims2 alone and same crashes. So i used win98 compability and finally stop crashing(also win95 works as i said). Then i changed graphic rules for better compability http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
So only way i can run my game is still win95 or win98. But it wont detect my custom content.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:57 PM
The "load pets/magic" thing only happens when you make a new neighborhood, and shouldn't happen with a neighborhood that's already made. It doesn't have anything to do with the game settings.

Are you sure you went through the GraphicsRules properly? If you don't do it the correct way, the edits can cause crashes or other issues. Also, which graphics card do you have? And do you get any graphics issues like floodfill blue water in the neighborhood?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 12:10 AM Last edited by ManGa_Ka : 26th Jul 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ManGa_Ka
i have my savedata working(i know it because town doesnt need to load pets/magic etc. like first run)

I wrote about loads pet/magic thing to show you my save data works in any compability.

In order i will repeat.
Game installed. No custom content. Game crashes. Changed compability to win98 stop crashes. THEN changed graphic rules.
THEN try to install cc and no detection.
Compability win95 or 98; save data works, graphic settings doesnt reset, town load, no bugs/glitches works perfect but NO custom content
Different compability except win95/98; save data works, graphic settings reset, town crash when loaded, custom content works.

Bodyshop works without any compability settings. Now i set bodyshop to win98, custom content stop working.

So we can be sure win95 and win98 wont show custom content.
So i should find a way to run my game without win95 or 98
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 1:03 AM
I think you misunderstood - the "load pets/magic" thing only happens when creating a fresh neighborhood or when loading a neighborhood for the first time. The saved games settings have nothing to do with whether or not the "load pets/magic" happens, becuse it only (and always) happens the first time a neighborhood is loaded (and maybe also when making a subhood - been too long since I added one for me to remember).

If you've repeatedly changed the settings, and they don't stick (as in, the userProps file refuses to show the proper settings), then there is something going on with the settings.

Maybe someone who has Win8 have seen similar problems before.

Tried to search around, and someone suggested installing "Managed DirectX" (the one SimPE needs to work) - https://sims.ambertation.de/de/download/realdownload/

Another thing you can try (if you haven't already) is to run the game in windowed mode. Not sure why that would be better, but it's one of the suggestions.

You may also find some new suggestions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFUfVuA90M (I haven't watched the video, mind - the video is about the UC, so not everything may apply).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 1:22 AM
I think you misunderstood again we talk the same thing. I load my game without any pet/magic load, it was only first load. When i change compability my graphic settings reset but my save data remain same and as a proof i said my game doesnt need to load pets etc. again.
I always run my game windowed for testing. So it didnt effect nothing.
I watched countless videos included this one and solutions always same things. Also i used graphic ruler program thing and it didnt solve my crashes.

I dont understand nothing you say about SimPE and website is in german xD can you explain a little?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 2:16 AM
Someone who had a similar problem (Sims won't run properly with Win8) suggested installing the DirectX file, but I'm not sure if you should install DirectX 9 or 11, though. At least one of them is available on the SimPE site. The English version of the SimPE site doesn't work, but the German does. I'm by no means fluent in German, so I do suggest you use a translator. The link for the download is easy to find - it's one of the orange links, and says "DirectX"

Honestly, I've not had any problems making CC or the game work - or at least none that couldn't be solved by using the tips and tricks in the help topics. I've not come across Win8 or 10 yet, but Vista and 7 can be moody enough...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 12:52 PM
Have you checked alternative documents locations? If you're running the game in compatibility mode then it might be creating/looking for data in locations like C:\My Documents or C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents, rather than C:\Users\YourName\Documents.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:36 PM Last edited by ManGa_Ka : 26th Jul 2017 at 5:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Someone who had a similar problem (Sims won't run properly with Win8) suggested installing the DirectX file, but I'm not sure if you should install DirectX 9 or 11, though. At least one of them is available on the SimPE site. The English version of the SimPE site doesn't work, but the German does. I'm by no means fluent in German, so I do suggest you use a translator. The link for the download is easy to find - it's one of the orange links, and says "DirectX"

Honestly, I've not had any problems making CC or the game work - or at least none that couldn't be solved by using the tips and tricks in the help topics. I've not come across Win8 or 10 yet, but Vista and 7 can be moody enough...

im using directx11 and SimPE has direct9, i can install but i dont think it will help. Edit: installed. Its something like summer code?? its written like that. Anyway it keeps crashing same.

Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Have you checked alternative documents locations? If you're running the game in compatibility mode then it might be creating/looking for data in locations like C:\My Documents or C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents, rather than C:\Users\YourName\Documents.

Exactly what i think. Because with different compability even graphic settings reset. Its like i have 2 location. But i couldnt find it. I even check appdata folder :/

Anyone knows to use registry edit to change download location?
Alchemist
#19 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 8:59 PM
some other things to try::
-AnyGameStarter
-download and install a "virtual" computer then install this game in it. not sure where virtual computers could be downloaded; but an internet search might be able to find them.
-create another account on the computer; if you are an administrator.

in any of those cases, might afterward copy the custom content to the "other" game. for the virtual computer, a flash drive may be needed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
some other things to try::
-AnyGameStarter
-download and install a "virtual" computer then install this game in it. not sure where virtual computers could be downloaded; but an internet search might be able to find them.
-create another account on the computer; if you are an administrator.

in any of those cases, might afterward copy the custom content to the "other" game. for the virtual computer, a flash drive may be needed.

i used anygamestarter but it doesnt start the game and its not compatible with win8
virtual pc is so much job i even prefer to install second OS in BIOS
another account wont solve anything, im admin in pc, only 1 user. several user will cause same problem because its win8 what is failing

result: i will play no cc because i spend weeks trying to use my cc so i dont waste more time. thanks for your helps guys