Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#476 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 12:30 AM
It was good, Mia138! Amazon definitely have it as I saw it when I wanted to see how many others there are in the series.
Advertisement
Scholar
#477 Old 1st Oct 2010 at 8:04 AM
I'm currently halfway through reading Jane Eyre.
Lab Assistant
#478 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 3:57 PM
Just finished 'The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo' and thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so I've just ordered the next two in the series from Amazon and can't wait to get started on them. Also ordered Blue Diablo as recommended by El Flel.

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands? ~ Milton Berle
Field Researcher
#479 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TRIriana
I'm currently halfway through reading Jane Eyre.

That was one of those books I wish had been split in two. Loved the half you've read so far about her school days but hated the more famous parts.
Mad Poster
#480 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 4:29 AM
Statistical Methods for Psychology by David Howell. Fun fun. I have an exam on it today. Extra fun. Not......
Field Researcher
#481 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 4:36 AM
"The Green Mile" by Stephen King. I'm a huge King fan, yet I have yet to read this one. What's wrong with me?!
I did just get through with "Firestarter", and I think that one's my favorite of his. Though "Christine" was also good.

And I just finished up the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. I have a huge fancy book (jokingly referred to as my "Bible" due to it's appearance) that has the first five on the trilogy* and a short story about a young Zaphod. I've read the whole thing through twice (thrice for the first two, read 'em at school). I also just got Eoin Colfer's addition to the series, "And Another Thing", and I must say he did a pretty good job. Always wanted Random to have a bigger part in the series, seems how she appeared more than half-way through "Mostly Harmless" and that's it. <_<

EDIT: Oh, and I'm also reading "The Crucible" for school by...some...guy...and it's kind of interesting, with all the hysteria and people's reactions and stuff, but the language is sometimes a bit hard to follow sometimes.

The future is bulletproof,
The aftermath is secondary,
It's time to do it now and do it loud,
Killjoys, make some noise!
Lab Assistant
#482 Old 14th Oct 2010 at 7:00 AM
Rise of the Fourth Reich by Jim Marrs
Mad Poster
#483 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 7:08 AM
A Charmed Life: Growing Up in Macbeth's Castle by Liza Campbell.
Mad Poster
#484 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 2:26 AM
I finished A Charmed Life and moved on to Rant by Chuck Palahniuk.
Field Researcher
#485 Old 17th Oct 2010 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Six_by_Nine
I also just got Eoin Colfer's addition to the series, "And Another Thing", and I must say he did a pretty good job. Always wanted Random to have a bigger part in the series, seems how she appeared more than half-way through "Mostly Harmless" and that's it. <_<

I've actually been playing catchup with Colfer from a different direction. I wanted to get a feel for him before I invested my time and energy into "And Another Thing". So I've been reading his Artemis Fowl series. I'm currently about halfway through the third Fowl book, The Eternity Code. I like his work but I've been having trouble picturing the Hitchhiker's Guide in his hands.

Reading the Fowl books, I kind of get what it must be like to be a Twi-hard and favor Jacob. I don't have near as much use for Colfer's human leads as I do the characters of his fairy world. I can live with Artemis and the humans. But the fairies and fantasy creatures are so much fun in how they interact with our modern world. My favorite is probably the thieving dwarf, Mulch Diggums. Such a wonderfully entertaining rogue. So while I can certainly believe Colfer does well in the Hitchhiker series with a character like Random, I worry how the old stalwarts come off with him at the helm.
Lab Assistant
#486 Old 21st Oct 2010 at 12:43 PM Last edited by k24601 : 21st Oct 2010 at 2:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by fraavi0
I'm reading When Nietzsche Wept by Irvin D. Yalom. Great book, by the way.
Haven't read the book (yet) but saw the movie. Pretty good movie too, of course being a female how the females were treated annoyed me but overall a great movie. I've been kinda going through my old books lately and right now I'm reading the Year of The Cat trilogy again and every now and then stuff from Elf Fantastic and other books. I don't know what happened to them but I wish certain books I had were with me. I never got around to reading The Jester and a book about the life of William Shakespeare. I still don't have the first volume of Catfantastic and I wish I did along with other incomplete series like the grey joe mysteries and a series about kid/teen wizards (deep wizardry high wizardry and whatever else was in that series) I used to have all of the Secret of The Unicorn Queen series and I miss those books so much. I wish I had The Night Inside too. I loved the first story (Handmaiden's Tale or something like that) of the Bitterbynde series but I have decided not to get the second book or any others after because they have bad reviews and sounds like the author dragged the story into the mud.

Princess Bride :
I am not sure if I ever read the actual book but I love the movie.

Twilight :
So far I love the movies and have read bits and pieces online from the books...I haven't read any of the entire books themselves...yet. I think it's really sad and laughable that other authors and people are so down and hateful on it...I'm especially disappointed that one of my favorite authors and movie guys, Stephan King, has been hateful about it as well. I love most of King's works but I am sad that he's gotten on the hate bandwagon against the Twilight series and its author. (and so what if the vampires sparkle? I hate it when people from one vampire series and other vampire fans hate on certain ideas and make fun of twilight and ann rice's vampires, it's so immature. It's like the stupid hatred some people have against the idea of good "dark elves" aka nice/playable "drows". There's really no rule that says vampires can't sparkle and drows must always be evil! It's fantasy, anything goes!)

The Lovely Bones :
I haven't read the book yet and am not sure if I ever will or even want to. The movie....I think overall I was very disappointed in it or at least very disappointed on how it ended. I think the guy should've died sooner and not in such a lame way.

Inkheart : Oh, man. I can't wait to read the books and watch the movie(s). I can't wait to see the rest of twilight either.

Wicked :
I felt like my childhood had been ruined. I loved the idea of the wicked witch and Glinda having been friends once but everything else just rubbed me the wrong way. I have mixed feelings about the musical and I'm not going to even read the rest of the series since the politics and other things thrown in it annoy me so much.

True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse mysteries :
Dad bought the first season and I haven't read the books yet. So far I am loving True Blood...

There's a bunch of books I want to read again someday such as Edgar Allen Poe's works and Shakespeare's plays. I'll read some of my incomplete series books once I've got all the missing books to complete those series. Like the joe grey mysteries. I also want to reread classics like Count of Monte Cristo and Don Quixote sometime. I just found a trailer for an a different version of the story! Don Quixote 3D trailer 2010 [HD] Hahaha! It looks awesome! I also still haven't seen the movie that has John Lithgow in it.

http://www.joegrey.com/

Harry Potter :
Seen the movies, not sure if I missed any, maybe one? Anyway, really really want to read all the books someday.

The Vampires Assistant: I'm pretty sure this movie was based on a series of books the way it played out and how I hadn't even heard of anything called the vampire's assistant before...and the with the way it ended I would be surprised if they don't release any sequel(s) or sequel and other movies after it. *looks it up* Yep, I was right. The series is called Cirque De Freak or also known as The Saga of Darren Shan. I want to read this series someday.

Dexter: Have seen some of the series, haven't read the books they were based on...yet.

I love reading dictionaries...wow sorry this got be so long but had to comment on various titles that were brought up.
Mad Poster
#487 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 5:27 AM
In the Wake of the Plague - The Black Death and the World It Made.
Instructor
#488 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 5:42 AM
The Godfather, for the third time.
Theorist
#489 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 1:16 PM
Rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I wonder why everytime I try to read/re-read some books that's not recently published, people would go, "You haven't read that?" It's really annoying. Just because they don't re-read books, doesn't mean I don't as well
Mad Poster
#490 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 8:35 PM
^ I just started rereading that too! In preparation for the film so I can bitch at how much they've changed lol.

I just finished A Person Of No Nationality by Ruth Barnett. It's her autobiography of how being sent to England as a child during WWII and being stripped of her German nationality by the Nazis affected her throughout her life. Very sad in parts but uplifting in others because she seems like such a lovely person and has helped so many people throughout her life. She's a guest speaker at my university on Wednesday which should be really interesting.
Mad Poster
#491 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 3:16 PM
Lies My Teacher Told Me - Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong.
It was written in the 90s so I'm sure the textbook references are outdated, but it has a good overview of American history. (And it ain't pretty).
Theorist
#492 Old 19th Nov 2010 at 12:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by el_flel
^ I just started rereading that too! In preparation for the film so I can bitch at how much they've changed lol.

True. I really hate when they put too much changes in the movie.(Seriously, why can't the movie stick to the book anyway? I can understand cutting/ modifying scenes due to lack of budget/resource/etc, but adding scenes that's not supposed to exist and pointless drama definitely sucks)
Alchemist
#493 Old 20th Nov 2010 at 1:09 PM
An Introduction to Film Studies by Jill Nelmes

Whatever people consider to be normal, it never is.
My Simblr
My Youtube
Inventor
#494 Old 21st Nov 2010 at 12:27 PM
Eh, stupid revision book. The next two weeks I have mocks.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Icy Spicy
#495 Old 22nd Nov 2010 at 3:08 PM Last edited by icemunmun : 22nd Nov 2010 at 3:41 PM.
1)Re-reading HP and Deathlu Hallows for 3rd time in preparation for watching the movie...
2) 4th book oh Dresden files by Jim Butcher.
( i'm am a multi-reader.....LOL....i always read 2 or more books at a time )
3) Principals of Internal Medicine by Harrison
Field Researcher
#496 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 8:10 PM
I just finished reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It was so good! Now I am reading the Kings Daughter by Barbara Kyle. I missed my historical fiction!
Alchemist
#497 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 8:03 AM
Miss Christina by Mircea Eliade, a very talented Romanian writer, though I don't think that any of his books are translated in other languages.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Lab Assistant
#498 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 9:06 PM
I got a few books on the go at the moment...

- The Power of Art by Simon Schama
- And Another Thing.... by Eoin Colfer
and The Pythons by the Pythons
Lab Assistant
#499 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 11:39 AM
I am rereading Harry Potter 7, but this time I am reading it in english.
Mad Poster
#500 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 5:01 PM
I'm reading A Mind of Its Own - How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives.
Page 20 of 41