Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 29th Nov 2005 at 3:57 PM
Yes!!! Got it. Actually it didn't work the first time but then, by some miracle, it occured to me to run "fix integrity" after I changed the names.
Thank you so much. What a great wayto start the day.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 6:48 PM
Hi, it's me again. Is there any chance that I can change which material is recolorable? Today I',m making a bookcase and a chess table, both with glass pieces. Both already have two recolorable parts. But could I make the books and the chessboard be the parts that aren't recolorable instead of the glass?
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#28 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
Hi, it's me again. Is there any chance that I can change which material is recolorable? Today I',m making a bookcase and a chess table, both with glass pieces. Both already have two recolorable parts. But could I make the books and the chessboard be the parts that aren't recolorable instead of the glass?

Yes. The two subsets listed in tsDesignModeEnabled in Geometric Node are the ones that will be recolorable. Remove the parts you don't want recolored off that list, and add the names of the subsets that you want recolorable (but always the maximum of two at a time, of course).
Field Researcher
#29 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 10:13 PM Last edited by Mage : 6th Dec 2005 at 10:27 PM.
Thanks. That worked for the chess table, but I had to add a material override as well. I can't seem to get the bookcase right.

No wait. I had the name wrong (not glassgreen but bookcaseartnouveau_glassgreen).

I couldn't figure it out until I asked you though, lol.
Thanks. :wave:
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#30 Old 7th Dec 2005 at 4:32 AM
Ahh, yes, sorry, I forgot about the Material Override. Glad you got it working, anyway .
Field Researcher
#31 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 7:49 PM
I didn't realize that I never came back to thank you; your suggestion was all it took to get the dresser right. Thank you for that and for the several rooms full of new objects to which I have added subsets since then. I'm really happy to be able to do this.
But trouble in paradise. This morning I made a staircase. I combined the part called "wall" with the part called "stairs" and called the combined group "stairs". And I aded a new group "glass". I tried to do all the steps to get everything right but it crashes my game when I click on the staircase icon in the build mode catalogue. I have been through everything I have any idea how to got through several times and changed a few thing again - maybe for the worse. But the result keeps being the same.
You've been so generous, I thought maybe you'd take a look at it for me. Thanks
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mageteanewstairs.zip (169.2 KB, 19 downloads)
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#32 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
I didn't realize that I never came back to thank you; your suggestion was all it took to get the dresser right. Thank you for that and for the several rooms full of new objects to which I have added subsets since then. I'm really happy to be able to do this.
But trouble in paradise. This morning I made a staircase. I combined the part called "wall" with the part called "stairs" and called the combined group "stairs". And I aded a new group "glass". I tried to do all the steps to get everything right but it crashes my game when I click on the staircase icon in the build mode catalogue. I have been through everything I have any idea how to got through several times and changed a few thing again - maybe for the worse. But the result keeps being the same.
You've been so generous, I thought maybe you'd take a look at it for me. Thanks

I have no idea what might have been wrong, but I opened the package in SimPE (version 0.52), saw nothing to fix, but performed Fix Integrity and saved just in case. Then I put the stairs into the game, and they worked just fine, no crashing or anything. Which version of SimPE are you using? I remember that with one version of SimPE there was a problem with beds crashing the game when you clicked on the in the catalog. Maybe something similar happened with stairs and your version of SimPE. It appears fixing integrity with 0.52 fixed it.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  mageteanewstaircase121205.zip (169.2 KB, 21 downloads)
Field Researcher
#33 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 10:36 PM Last edited by Mage : 13th Dec 2005 at 12:43 AM.
Thanks for anwsering so fast. I did just get .52 today after I made the stairs. But when I tried fixing integrity it still crashed the game the same way. So I downloaded the one you fixed and it also crashes the game... I don't know what to do next.
Since itworked in your game I thought it must be a conflict with something I have but I tried it with nothing else in the Downloads folder but CEP and it still crashed. But this time it did let me get to the stairs menu, then the thumbnail for my stairs was blank. When I placed it it was Maxis staircase, mesh and texture, and it crashed the game a moment after it was in the house.
This is so weird. I noticed that the recolor didn't entirely work on the diagonal of a door I made rightbefore thestaircase. So I fixed that and the for the heck of it I tried my stairs again and they were fine. ?They crashed the game when thedoor wasn't even present. I'm going totry to recolor them.
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#34 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 5:13 AM
Well, that is definitely strange. I have no idea what it could be! Have you made sure the door and the stairs don't share a GUID or anything?
Field Researcher
#35 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 4:33 PM
Thanks to your suggestion in the other thread. I did get the doors working right. I can only change the wood with the design tool but I can place it with either wood and either glass, so I'm happy. Btw that thing about the sims walking through the hinges of the door also happens with the original door, and it is only one way through the diagonal, so I'm going to live with that too.
Now here's the weird thing. As soon as I got the doors working right I tried the stairs again. And they suddenly worked. (!?) So I made a recolor for them again and when I tried to buy stairs to try it out it froze and crashed my game again.
So I just started all over again with the stairs. And the new ones worked fine. So before I started making a re-color I just checked the Geometric Node to make sure I had added glass to the tdesignmodeenabled. And I had but then I noticed that wall was still listed as a tdesignmodeslavesubsets so I removed it. Then I clicked on the edit blocks tab and removed it from there. Then I tried it in the game again and it crashed while loading the neighborhood. I actually tried it twice in cse the first time wasa fluke. Guess not. So I went back to wall being gone from the slavesubsets and still in the block list. That works and I was able to make a recolor that works. So I am happy and grateful to you for all your help. And interested to know the explaination for everything or anything.
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#36 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 4:51 PM
To make the glass designable for the diagonal version, as well, add the glass subset to the tsMaterialsMeshName in Geometric Node where "surfaces" already is listed. I notice that is missing in at least the version of the diagonal door that I have.
Forum Resident
#37 Old 21st Jan 2006 at 2:48 PM Last edited by hexameter : 21st Jan 2006 at 2:50 PM. Reason: mistake in spelling
Thank you very much for this!!!
I could have economize sooo much time if I had found it earlier. At least you make sure with this tutorial that my last tries with much trial and error were not wrong done. I'll keep the download in case I forget the single steps how to do recolourable subsets.
I was such a fool to be so ignorant!
Thanks again.
hexameter
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 4:17 PM
hi i am having some problems.... i did your tutorial good and the new texture for the new subset dont appears in the view..... i think that i do all right, but if any people can help me i take you my file:
http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...XF0DWUH7NYRU0LP
it is a bathtub. (click on download now)
WARNING: I dont assign it a GUID!!!!
-the new section is metal and the name of the texture image is ''metal'' too. thanks.
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#39 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 5:12 PM
Karlius, your filenames and their references don't match. Your texture file name is sansebastian-Karlius-metal, but the TXMT texture reference points to SanSebastian-Karlius-bathtub-metal. The name of the TXMT file is sansebastian-karlius-bathtub_metal_metal but the Shape reference points to SanSebastian-Karlius-bathtub-metal. Fix those (be careful with the - and _), Fix Integrity, save, and try again.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 7:57 PM
thanks IgnorantBliss but i dont understand you well....
what i have to do? this?:
1-rename the texture image to SanSebastian-Karlius-bathtub-metal
2- change the shape to SanSebastian-Karlius-bathtub-metal
it is right? it it isnt, can you show me it in images please??? because i read other time the tutorial and there is the same problem. bigest thanks and sorry....

can i contact you better in messenger ? if you say me yes i take you my mail by pm. thanks
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#41 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 8:08 PM
You can either change the filenames or their references, either would work. The easiest way is probably to

1. Change the texture filename to SanSebastian-Karlius-bathtub-metal
2. Change the TXMT reference in Shape for the metal subset to sansebastian-karlius-bathtub_metal_metal

Commit each change, Fix Integrity and save.

The idea is that where ever in the package you're referencing to a file, the reference must match the filename in question. So, when you're referencing the texture in the TXMT (in both the Properties and File List tabs), it has to refer to the correct texture name. When in Shape you refer to a TXMT, the name has to match also.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 10th Apr 2006 at 8:15 PM
ok now is correct, thank you very much!!!!
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#43 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 8:31 PM
karlius, please, don't post the same thing in multiple threads .
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 9:29 PM Last edited by Karlius : 11th Apr 2006 at 10:18 PM.
no, sorry, i post the problem here because i think that it is problem of the new subset and i would to ask you here because i think this problem is originated because the new subset has got a problem.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#45 Old 14th May 2006 at 4:51 PM Last edited by SuperFly : 14th May 2006 at 4:56 PM.
I'm trying to recolour a new TV- I've added in two new subsets, and I'm tryig to make them recolourable. However, I can't find the menu to check if I can recolour them or not- I've attached teh drop-down menu in the Geometric Node- any advice you could offer me?

Thanks,

Superfly
Screenshots

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#46 Old 14th May 2006 at 4:59 PM
Is the tsDesignModeEnabled part missing even if you scroll down on the list? Which TV have you cloned, and do you have the CEP installed? I'm not very familiar with the TVs, but I think that, with the CEP installed, they should all have at least one recolorable subset and therefore the tsDesignModeEnabled entry. It's possible to add one if it's not there, although it makes it easier if the clone already has that and the Material Override. The cheap floor TV should have 2 recolorable subsets already. That means that you will have to replace them with your new subsets since you can't have 4 recolorable subsets.
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#47 Old 14th May 2006 at 5:03 PM
If I scroll down, tsDesignModEnabled doesn't appear. I have the CEP installed (Version 4.1), and I cloned the Trottco 27" MultiVid IV Television- the regular TV on the stand.

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#48 Old 14th May 2006 at 5:09 PM
When I clone the TV, the tsDesignModeEnabled is there. Do you have the CEP files selected in the SimPE File Table under Preferences?
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#49 Old 14th May 2006 at 5:16 PM
I've selected all the boxes in preferences, reloaded and cloned a new TV- still no change.

Part-time Hermit
Original Poster
#50 Old 14th May 2006 at 5:23 PM
I know you're an experienced SimPE user and this question may sound stupid, but are you sure you're scrolling down on the list far enough? The tsDesignModeEnabled will probably be hidden until you scroll down on the list as pointed out in the attached screenshot.
Screenshots
Page 2 of 10