Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#2251 Old 26th Jun 2009 at 7:33 PM
I`m not sure I understand entirely.

I was talking about copying [build- and buy-mode] objects and walls from a selected section of the lot, not copying everything. This would rule out copying the "hidden objects" unless they happen to be in the user-specified location. This would simplify things at least a little, nyet? If we can identify "hidden objects" and simply refuse to copy them, that simplifies things just a tad more, si? How do-able is it that way?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2252 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 6:09 AM Last edited by niol : 27th Jun 2009 at 6:25 AM.
For the walls, we've not parsed the different data patterns for different wall types with different properties in WGRA files, but someone is interested in helping out, I can see there's a chance. May check out or search through what's been discussed in past 200-300 posts. String can be like "WGRA", "data pattern".

FYI of some basic infos, "Wall" here means "partitions" including all kinds of wall types and fence type and wall types involved in other complex build tools like foundations, stage and probably awning.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=106473

I still can't find the file I worked with containing some of those infos from HD data mess after the death of my stronger PC.

As for floor tiles, I believe we've got all it takes.

As for non-in-lot objects, I guess one has to make a list out for all the hidden objects in a given lot type for comparison to move the target objects.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#2253 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 3:15 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 27th Jun 2009 at 3:32 PM.
Moved to the Moo Tools group, as a program request:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=350597
Mad Poster
#2254 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 6:57 AM
Due to the similarities I read, I believe projects on TS2 lot-modding may have a high chance to benefit TS3 lot modding.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#2255 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 3:16 PM
That's been my hope. However, I have not yet decided that I am interested in playing TS3, much less modding it.
#2256 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:40 PM
That`s good news for *us*.

...although I am considering buying and playing Sims 3 later, when the price comes down a bit, now that I know one can patch the game without registering. [EA online-registration systems HATE me!]

Whatcha workin` on now, MooToolda, er, Mootilda?

Site Helper
Original Poster
#2257 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:08 PM
You can patch the game without registering. There are links for the patch downloads at both MTS and MATY. I own a legal copy of the game, but I refuse to allow my game machine to connect to the internet; EA taught me to be extremely cautious about giving them unlimited access to my machine and network. In spite of that, I've managed to download and install Riverview and patch the game.

Can't help you with the price issue, though. I'm lucky; my EA games are usually free or under $10, since I have access to the company store.

What am I working on? Trying to find some way to play TS3 so that I can get some amount of pleasure out of it. Success so far: 0%. Every time that I play the game, I run into a brick wall. Ouch!

Build mode is broken. Collecting is boring and pointless. Neighborhood editing is non-existent. Relationships are boring and bizarre. Story mode is a complete failure. Cheating is much harder because EA removed the config, up-arrow and tab features. Needs seem to be more difficult, probably because of all the time that sims spend traveling. Playing more than one sim at a time is too complex; playing one sim at a time is boring. EA just seems to have sucked the fun out of the game.

However, I haven't managed to convince myself to give up yet. I keep thinking: this is a game, there must be some way to have fun with it. I just wish that those brick walls didn't hurt so much.
#2258 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 7:44 PM
[I literaly chuckled.] Yeah, I`ve seen the patch links here. My game machine IS my Internet machine, but I`m usually OFF-line when playing. You got anything interesting going on Sims2-related that we could discuss here? [ Trying to stay on-topic.]

Site Helper
Original Poster
#2259 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:35 PM
No, I haven't had as much time for programming recently. My first priority will be adding the water level to the GridAdjuster. Then, I expect to try the beach lot conversion tests that we've been discussing.
#2260 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:52 PM
Hokay. Monitoring thread, in case.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#2261 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 5:05 PM
Default Using the undergound level
I just had an inspiration that I wanted to document before I forget. Some time ago, I tried various tests to create a room at level = -1. Although I could create the room, it wasn't usable in-game. It just occurred to me that it might be having the same problem as the no-slope basements with earlier EPs: the water level is blocking the placement of objects, even though it's not visible.

Another good reason to change the GridAdjuster to handle the water level array, along with the terrain arrays.
#2262 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 6:52 PM
Oooo, SMART thinking there, Moo!

Site Helper
Original Poster
#2263 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 3:58 PM
Definitely worth another try... this is our first theory on how to fix the level=-1 (no-slope, no foundation) basements.

I'm really hoping to have a bit of time to work on this soon (next week?). Current priorities:

1) Add water level to GridAdjuster.

2) Try level=-1 basements again. If this works, try to figure out some way to make these accessible to everyone. I may want to modify and release the LevelAdder, even if it can't properly adjust object levels and elevations.
#2264 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 5:54 PM
...as "BasementAdder", perhaps...?

Site Helper
Original Poster
#2265 Old 18th Jul 2009 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
...as "BasementAdder", perhaps...?
I'd prefer to keep the non-basement logic in the program, so LevelAdder makes more sense. From the user's view, there would just be one more option of where to add the level, but internally it would require additional work.

From http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...21#post2709021:
Would it be useful to compare a virgin untouched lot with a lot template? Could we perhaps learn how to create true template lots at non-standard sizes, so we won`t have to clutter our Lot Bins with dozens of fake-template lots?
Here's my understanding:

We already know how to create a lot template (if I remember correctly: remove the 3D grid elevation array), but we don't understand how to add the lot template to the list of templates available in the game. I believe that it's pretty easy to replace an existing template with a new template, but then you lose access to the existing template. The list of available templates is not likely to be stored in the neighborhood or lot packages, so comparing them won't solve our problem.

It sure would be nice to have this working, but at this time we don't understand the mechanism.
#2266 Old 20th Jul 2009 at 7:53 PM
Ah, I was unaware of the cause of the apparent inability to add custom lot templates. Thank you.

Does anyone know what happens if one places an actual lot template package into the lot bin from outside the game, and then attempts to place a lot from the template in the bin? If this works, it could reduce the number of near-duplicate "template" empty lots we need in the bin.

Oh, one more thing: Just removing the 3D grid elevation array probably couldn`t be enough, because templates don`t have terrain types and other stuff assigned to them yet, in addition to elevations. Has anyone done any research on what else needs to be removed to make a true template? For that matter, is it possible that any of the standard templates as supplied by EA are buggy? [I have no reason to believe that they ARE, but plenty of reason to accept that they COULD be; EA has a well-earned reputation for quality coding in the Sims community. ]

Mad Poster
#2267 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 5:37 AM
One more problem with custom lot template for the UI lot template is that we don't know if the lot template sizes and specifications are hard-cored in the UI.

We can find the "lot templates" in its folder in the game programme folder, but let's not forget about the global lot files as well. We still don't know how the game UI or the game engine "selectively" copy whatever relevant infos from the lot templates and probably from more sources like the hard codes and maybe the global lot files.

Suppose that the game engine does copy invalid infos from some uncleaned lot templates, then the resultant problematic data will boom and form its own agenda silently. That's what put me off when I checked BV. Yet, as long as the info-copying process in the make of a lot from templates was done right, there shouldn't be much of a problem. Nevertheless, I suspect the hotel problem is an instance.

I think things are simpler when users can manage when to install a particular exported lot template into the lot bin.

Terrain types can be easily switched by altering the terrain type references in the terrain file and the lot description file. It's easier in the base game, too.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#2268 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 4:37 PM
I know that I made a new template available by replacing an existing template, but I'm afraid that I didn't keep notes on what I did, since I didn't like the idea of losing existing templates. It was just one of those quick tests which failed and was lost forever.

If I remember correctly, all that I had to do was to remove the 3D array instance 1, but my memory is pretty foggy on the whole experiment. I put the resulting lot in the template area and it didn't show up in game, so I removed an existing template and renamed my lot and was able to see it. I must admit that I didn't try any other terrain types; my tendency is to play grass.

I believe that some of the lot templates are relatively clean, but some are not (especially the beach lots?).

GeneralOperationsDirector, since it was a pretty quick test to set up, you should be able to fool around with the whole process yourself and see what you can accomplish and where you get stuck. With several of us working on it, we might have a brainstorm on how to get further with this than I did by myself.

Does anyone know what happens if one places an actual lot template package into the lot bin from outside the game, and then attempts to place a lot from the template in the bin? If this works, it could reduce the number of near-duplicate "template" empty lots we need in the bin.
Interesting idea for a test. I have no idea what will happen.
#2269 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 7:28 PM
I`ll give it a try. Seriously.

What do I have to do, though, to get a file manually placed in the lot bin outside the game to appear in the in-game lot bin, and what is the name of the lot bin folder? I`m unfamiliar with hacking the lot bin, but I already can find the template files easily enough.

niol: "hard-cored"? "hard-coded", perhaps? I`m not sure what you`re talking about much of the time [it isn`t technical, it`s linguistic], but what I *do* understand is often interesting.

Moo [May I call you "Moo"?], I have a thread about a tool I`m building; could you weigh in [here or there] with comments regarding what would be useful here? I want to start with relatively simple things, and work my way up to more involved things as I gain proficiency.

Site Helper
Original Poster
#2270 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 12:09 AM
I can't remember off-hand. Look around in Program Files. I seem to remember that it was pretty easy to find.

Sure, I'll take a look at that thread and see whether I can help.

ETA:
TSData\Res\LotTemplates in your most recent EP installation.
#2271 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 6:17 PM
Ah, methinks you`ve misunderstood. I already can find the templates in the PROGRAM hierarchy no problem. I don`t know where to find the LOT BIN in the DATA heirarchy or how to put stuff into it without using either the EA package installer or the Clean Installer. THAT is what I was asking for help with. Still, thank you anyway.

...and I appreciate all the help you can provide with giving direction to the development of my tool.

P.S.: "ETA"? "Estimated Time of Arrival"? Methinks not, but I can`t think of anything ELSE it might mean....

Site Helper
Original Poster
#2272 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 4:11 PM
ETA: edited to add (sorry for the confusion).

I'm still not sure what you're looking for. The lot bin is My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\LotCatalog. You can just copy a lot package into the lot bin and then rename it to match the other lots (I believe that they are all cx######.package). Try it with a normal lot first, to make sure that you have the procedure right, before you try it with a lot template.

Oh, and "Moo" is just fine.
#2273 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:41 PM
Ah, ok, I had no idea it would be that simple to add a lot to the bin manually. Thanks! Thanks, also, for the clarification on "ETA".

I take it that you looked at my thread, and couldn`t think of anything to add...? I`d like to start by being able to rename the *family* that occupies a lot, something that the game completely lacks, and which should be a snap to add, and while I can clearly remember having changed [in SimPE] the family name for a lot that had the "maiden" name of the family, I cannot for the life of me remember where to find that name to change it, and I cannot add that to my tool if I don`t know what to change. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Alchemist
#2274 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 4:34 AM
This discussion looks interesting, I'll be watching to see how it goes.

I'm busy making maternity defaults at present, but if there is a lot template to test, I can probably do that if wanted.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#2275 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 5:04 PM
I take it that you looked at my thread, and couldn`t think of anything to add...?
It all seems pretty nebulous.

I`d like to start by being able to rename the *family* that occupies a lot, something that the game completely lacks, and which should be a snap to add, and while I can clearly remember having changed [in SimPE] the family name for a lot that had the "maiden" name of the family, I cannot for the life of me remember where to find that name to change it, and I cannot add that to my tool if I don`t know what to change. Could you please point me in the right direction?
Don't have my game machine turned on right now, but I seem to remember changing the family name in the "FAMI" record. However, the wiki doesn't match that memory:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=FAMI

Where I'd start: Open SimPE and start looking around.
Page 91 of 97