Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 5:39 PM Last edited by lpvinyl21 : 18th Jul 2008 at 5:47 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Blank Want & fear slots and jump bug after installing FT
OK, I have installed Freetime when it first came out with no issues, unfortunately I had already DL the first patch they put out but that did not cuase any issues either. Well recently I noticed that my sims want and fear slots are emty just blue boxes, and whenever I direct a sim to interact they just jump. I dont use hacks but I do have a lot of CC and I played without the CC and still had the same issue, had the game generate news user files and still the same thing. So I uninstall all the EP's and SP's down to the base game, played the base game and it worked fine. I reinstall all the EP's (NO SP's) one at a time and patch them up to BV and every thing worked fine until I installed FT (and the new patch), the same thing happend again the want & fear slots where blank and the jump bug was back. so I uninstall FT again and played the game with all the EP's up to BV and everything is fine. I am not sure what may be cuasing this, is it necessary to uninstall even the base game?

==System==

Operating System: Windows Vista, home premium
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
Memory: 3583MB RAM
Page File: 1988 MB Used, 5360MB Available
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
Dell Model Number: Inspiron 531
==Display==

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT-DDR3
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce 8600GT
Approx. Total Memory: 1008
Main Driver: nvd3dum.dll, nvwgf2um.dll
Version: 7.15.0011.5828
==Sound==

Name:Realtek High Definition audio
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 7:56 PM
Before installing Free Time move your entire Downloads folder from My Docs to your desktop. Install and run the game and tell me if it still happens. I know you already tested without your downloads folder but this is different.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 8:10 PM
Callistra, I dont currently have a DL folder becuase I followed the tut on here on how to uninstall completely so before I started to uninstall all the EP's and SP's I back-up and deleted my existing Sims 2 folder.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 8:20 PM
I see.. maybe there's something wrong with your FT disc. Any way to take it back for an exchange?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 8:43 PM
I am not sure, I got it at Wallmart
Callistra, do you think there is any benefit to uninstalling everything again INCLUDING the base game? I am at a lost now
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 8:49 PM
Honestly, no. You've got it narrowed down to the FT expansion causing problems. It even works again once you uninstall it without having to do a thing else. But you could try it.. prove me wrong lol.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#7 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 10:27 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • General - Do the Game Problem FAQ
    You appear to have not gone through our main Game Help:Game Problemwiki FAQ. Please go through and do the steps on this FAQ, including any others that it links to (for example the Game Help:Game Problem-Problem Custom Contentwiki FAQ).

Usually, in the vast majority of cases, actually going through and doing the steps (doing, not just reading) fixes issues - sometimes you may be asked to remove custom content, or to patch - please rest assured that all of our FAQs have been tested by our staff and volunteers and we wouldn't suggest you do something unless it's been known to fix particular issues.
***Don't just remove your downloads folder. Continue on with the FAQ to see if it's other user files, or game files. Also, blank wants and fears are quite common when patching and/or installing new EP's. The want trees need to reseed. It may take a while for wants to spin up. Make sure your sims get a good 8 hrs of sleep to refresh the wants. You can also take them to a community lot and see if that will spin up some new wants.***

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 18th Jul 2008 at 11:42 PM
Unless I misunderstood something they already removed their entire Sims 2 folder (ask all user files).. they said they did. Don't see where they missed doing the FAQ.. Unless you mean doing it twice might help. Good advice on resetting wants.. should have thought of that LOL
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 12:15 AM Last edited by lpvinyl21 : 19th Jul 2008 at 12:51 AM.
Thank you callistra

Canoodle, I know the FAQ are here to help which is why I went through them first before posting here and I did all the steps such as removing the DL folder, having the game generate new users files and all my games are patched and still the same issue. I resorted to uninstalling all the EP's SP's reinstalling all the EP's only (no SP's, I have all including Ikea stuff pack) I am not sure what steps am I missing from that section. This is not related to any CC's as I am playing a completely newly installed game without a single CC, I dont even have a DL folder in my game files nor is it hack related becuase I dont play with any hacks. Also I outlined what I did in my original post and that none of it worked. I am not only getting all blank want and fears slots my sims also have the jump bug where they wont interact with each other when I install freetime and the new patch, so its not just a matter of getting the wants and fears to show up, all which I said in my original post.

Edit to add:
I reinstalled Freetime and played around with one of the pre loaded families (Mole) and I realize...
-I cannot go to community lots, when I direct my sims to go to a community lot nothing happens and they become invisible and I can see the plumbob hovering around
-Even if I use ultra speed, time still goes by as if in normal mode
-my sim energy does not decrease no matter what I do (workout, swim, etc..)
therefore i cant get him to sleep.

so this is worse then I thought, I really dont know what could be wrong
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 1:05 AM
ALL those problems go away just by uninstalling FT?

If you tell Walmart it won't work they should let you trade it out for a new one. They don't allow you to return open software but they consider it an exception if it's not working.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 3:42 AM
Yes, it does sound like a bad copy of the game. :/ Hopefully WalMart will let you return it. You could really press your case with them.

*Sorry about the FAQ thingy. After I re-read your initial post, I saw that you had generated new files. And since the uninstall reinstall worked up to FT, I agree, it has got to be the disks.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 10:10 AM
Have you tried a manual install? Game Help:Installwiki. It could help if there are issues with the files copying incorrectly from the disc, which it sounds like there are - in fact so could everything else in that FAQ.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 1:41 PM
I have the exact same problem and I tried everything. I even removed all my sims games from my registry. I deleted about 5 GB of custom content. I cant return the game either, since I bought it like 2 months ago and I dont even have the receipt anymore.

This sucks so badly, Free Time was my favorite expansion.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 3:54 PM
Have you also followed the Install FAQ I linked to?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.