Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 3:47 PM
Default Problem with Milkshape/align normals
I'm working on this hair

and I'm pretty much done assigning the bones, extra data, etc. but when it comes to making the other LODs, I'm stuck. I know how to use the Directx mesh tool and everything, but whenever I click "Align Normals" on the new model, this happens

(yuck)
I'm not sure what's wrong...I'm pretty sure I installed the plugin correctly, and I have auto smooth turned off. It doesn't make much of a difference when I apply texture either:

I'm pretty new to hair/conversions/meshing in general, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can and I don't plan on giving up, so please don't brush me off if this is some simple beginner's error.

I also have Autodesk 3ds Max 2014, so if there's a better way to make LODs that can preserve more detail, I'd love to hear about that too. haha
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 6:15 PM
It looks like you're aligning normals with both the main group and the undersides selected. You'll need to hide the undersides before aligning normals. If you haven't still got the undersides in a separate group, you may be in trouble.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2015 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
It looks like you're aligning normals with both the main group and the undersides selected. You'll need to hide the undersides before aligning normals. If you haven't still got the undersides in a separate group, you may be in trouble.

It's a conversion of XM Sims 97. I extracted the meshes with SIMpe, and there are only three groups: the scalp bit, hair_alpha_3 which looks like it might've been the underside, but it's really small and only on one side, and the rest of the hair (hair_alpha_5).

Align normals works perfectly on the first two groups. It's the last one that's giving me the trouble. I tried hiding all the other groups, but it still just comes out the same. Could it be that part of the underside was merged with the rest of the mesh by the original creator?
I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 3:19 PM
Anyone? I've tried everything I can think of.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Mar 2015 at 2:23 AM
I'm not much of a hair expert... so sorry for the probable useless advice... but if you right-click in one of your mini-windows in Milkshape, do you have "draw backfaces" ticked?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by soundtracks
I'm not much of a hair expert... so sorry for the probable useless advice... but if you right-click in one of your mini-windows in Milkshape, do you have "draw backfaces" ticked?

I've tried it with all windows ticked and unticked. :o Which is it supposed to be?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kandiedacid
I've tried it with all windows ticked and unticked. :o Which is it supposed to be?

well then I guess it's not this then...

ignore the plant. the idea was that maybe you needed to reverse the vertex order.

So, umh, have you tried selecting a couple of vertex in the black part and aligning the normals? or that doesn't work either?

(if you want you can upload the .ms3d and I (and/or someone else) can check it out)