Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2010 at 7:33 PM
Dirt Roads in CAW, simple, easy, and looks good!
Hey y'all! I was in a simmy mood this morning and I really wanted to play a "country" neighborhood. Now I may be the only one but Riverview is too full of buildings to be a true "out in the middle of nowhere" town. So I decided to create my own. Being as authentic as I possibly could, I wanted dirt roads, and this is how I made them.

When you go into CAW and pick/create a neighborhood, click the "Road Placement and Editing Tool" button.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums...pg?t=1267384191

After you click that a side panel will appear. Next click the button called "Create Custom Road"

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums...pg?t=1267384401

A new window will appear and you will get this screen:

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums...pg?t=1267384542

Name your road, I named it Dirt.
Next you click the "..."/ browze button next to Street Textures: Base Texture
This will bring you to the Source Textures window. Click the file with the name: dirt_light_base.dds
For the Detail Texture click the file called: dirt_street_detail.dds

Next you will move onto the Sidewalk textures.
Click the "..." for the Base texture and pick the file: dirt_light_base.dds just like the Base texture of the road.
For the Normal Map click the file called: dirt_sidewalk_base_n.tga *You will not see the .tga but it is a .tga file*
For the Opacity Map you click the file called: dirt_street_opacity.dds

And Last you will move onto the Intersection Textures:
Click the "..." for the Corner Texture and pick the file: dirt_light_base.dds
For the Corner Normal Map click the file called: dirt_intersection_corner_n.tga
And for the Crosswalk Texture click the file called: dirt_intersection_crosswalk.dds

After you've done all of this your screen should look like this:

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums...pg?t=1267385227

Click okay and you will see your road in the list of Roads. To make the dirt road show up when placing, you must right click and select the "Set Road as Active" button. When you place the road it should look like this!

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums...pg?t=1267385511

And that is how you make a dirt road! I hope everything went as smoothly as it should!
19 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 4:40 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. It works great. My problem is I am no good at creating in CAW. Would you be willing to share your empty Riverview with dirt roads? You are definitely not the only one who likes a more rural world. :lovestruc

Sometimes the Dragon wins and I AM the Dragon!
Test Subject
#3 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 6:00 PM
Default Something Wrong?
When I make this dirt road, it looks different and the intersection looks all wrong. I chose the same files as you (as I have seen others use the same files and I've tried this several times) but I get this result:

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this and get a proper dirt road?
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2010 at 5:05 PM
why intersection texture look that:

http://dominique07.wrzuta.pl/sr/f/1...Ty/strzyzowanie

i did like you showed, so what is wrong?

http://domi22domi.mybrute.com

Let's have some fun,
This beat is sick
I wanna take a ride on your disco stick
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Aug 2010 at 11:05 PM
Hmmm. I am not sure why they are all coming out differently. My computer had just recently deleted it's brain (system32) and so I had to start fresh, my game isn't even working anymore. However, as soon as I get back to simming, I will try and make an empty neighborhood!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 7:28 AM
I've seen several dirt road tutorials which all end like this so I was wondering if anyone found the answer?

In all the screenshots I've seen everyone elses has a dark blue line on the left but mine doesnt. That's the only difference I can see...could that be why it wont work?

Here's some screenies, one is this tutorial one is the other tutorial I tried. I've tried to work it out myself by playing around but after an hour of searching and trying to fix it I'm admitting defeat (for now).

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 8:43 AM
It's just the way that the game handles the intersections- they way they are 'mapped'. You won't be able to get them much better than that, I'm afraid.

If you take a look at Twinbrook, you will see that they used a tarmac road with the transparent edges, like Samiallmighty's dirt road. Wherever there is an intersection they have disguised it by using asphalt terrain paint. So you could always try doing the same thing with a dirt texture.

rae92, your transparency is wrong- you have black instead of transparent. Check the textures you've used.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
It's just the way that the game handles the intersections- they way they are 'mapped'. You won't be able to get them much better than that, I'm afraid.

If you take a look at Twinbrook, you will see that they used a tarmac road with the transparent edges, like Samiallmighty's dirt road. Wherever there is an intersection they have disguised it by using asphalt terrain paint. So you could always try doing the same thing with a dirt texture.

That not only upsets me, but makes me want to slap EA. WTF were they thinking?! Wouldnt you fix an issue when you encountered it? I'm so tired of developers who are more concerned with "workarounds" instead of tackling the problems!

Theoretically, could we rotate our textures/opacity/normal map/what ever and fix it? I'm going to give it a go tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes :D.

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Test Subject
#9 Old 31st Jan 2011 at 12:04 AM
thank you! I almost had it right!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th Mar 2011 at 1:27 AM
I'm new to CAW & and I really like to thank Samial for doing this tutorial up. Much appreciated!
Test Subject
#11 Old 7th Apr 2012 at 3:47 AM
intersection looks funny
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 7th Apr 2012 at 10:49 AM
laylaflame- please see posts #6 and #7.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 6:56 PM
So I guess there is no mod that "fixes" the intersection to fluently fit the rest of the dirt street? The advice was to "spray" the map at every intersection to get rid of the ugly broken cluttered edges? o.o

Still struggling with CAW :x
Field Researcher
#14 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 1:47 AM
Know this is older, but in case someone is looking for an answer, found something that works well.

Under "Street Textures", choose the same option for both Base and Detail Texture. I chose "dirt+street_base.dds.

Under "Sidewalk Textures", choose the same option you used above for the Base Texture, "dirt_sidewalk_base_n.tga" for the Normal Map, and do NOT even click on "Opacity Map" at all. Just leave that untouched.

Then, under "Intersection Textures", use, again, the same option you chose for the road texture, and for the "Corner Normal Map", use "dirt_intersection_corner_n.tga". For the "Crosswalk Texture", again use the same one you did for the road. This gave me a nice, normal-looking intersection, with no issues.
Test Subject
#15 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 4:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes649
Know this is older, but in case someone is looking for an answer, found something that works well.

Under "Street Textures", choose the same option for both Base and Detail Texture. I chose "dirt+street_base.dds.

Under "Sidewalk Textures", choose the same option you used above for the Base Texture, "dirt_sidewalk_base_n.tga" for the Normal Map, and do NOT even click on "Opacity Map" at all. Just leave that untouched.

Then, under "Intersection Textures", use, again, the same option you chose for the road texture, and for the "Corner Normal Map", use "dirt_intersection_corner_n.tga". For the "Crosswalk Texture", again use the same one you did for the road. This gave me a nice, normal-looking intersection, with no issues.

#16 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 8:15 PM Last edited by caittorr : 2nd Mar 2014 at 8:24 PM. Reason: add info

I copied exactly your instructions, and I come out with this first screenshot.

As for the original instructions from Samiallmighty, I get the second screenshot.

Using terrain paints would ruin the effect of the fading out, has ANYONE figured out how to fix this?
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#17 Old 29th Jun 2014 at 6:00 PM

Thanks! This worked like a charm! The only downside to this is that the road doesn't have faded edges. However, considering that I paint under roads, anyway, it's no biggie to just use terrain paint to paint underneath the road to give the illusion that they fade out!
Test Subject
#18 Old 21st Feb 2016 at 10:32 PM
Thank you so much for this tutorial! I was unable to create decent dirt road in the caw, and now I can!