Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 4:15 PM Last edited by Nukael : 1st Nov 2010 at 4:52 PM.
Default New male muscle morph
So I've been wanting to experiment with a new, more defined morph for the men. Here are my experiments, I edited the original muscle morph and made it more defined:

This is the original Maxis one:

This is my edit:

And mine from closer up:

I do have seams in my mesh... first time that's happened to me, so I'm not sure what's going on there. My muscular mesh is also a bit blockier since you don't actually have that many verteces to work with when editing the original meshes.
This is more a proof of concept anyway, to see if I could get a custom body morph to work with the game. Doing a slight edit like this also makes it feasible, as only one mesh needs to be edited (the muscular morph). And with clothes, only those that have the arms showing.

Sooo... I'm not sure where to go from here. Getting a better muscular morph out of the existing mesh is quite hard since it doesn't have that many verteces to edit.
Screenshots

This space intentionally left blank...
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 6:26 PM
The seams look, to me, like misaligned normals. It's also possible that your morph is, well, broken - that those mesh seams actually don't match up - but I can't tell from just pics, you'd have to spin him around and see if you could see any gaps.

I don't envy you the task of replacing every close-fitting or non-fully-covering mesh - though you could do it like TS2 bodyshapes and do a small, separate set of meshes based on EA ones for your new bodyshape, and then let other creators expand the range.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 10:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I can't see any gaps, so I'm thinking it's misaligned normals. Which is perfectly possible, since I went from Milkshape to 3Ds Max and back (and the normals getting misaligned somewhere in between). What's the best course of action to take in this case?

Quote:
I don't envy you the task of replacing every close-fitting or non-fully-covering mesh - though you could do it like TS2 bodyshapes and do a small, separate set of meshes based on EA ones for your new bodyshape, and then let other creators expand the range.
That's true, though with The Sims 2 you could have different meshes linked to different skintones. Which isn't possible for Sims 3, as far as I know? So every Sim will use the new muscle morph, regardless of skintone. Which would still lead to mesh "popping" (in which the shape of a body mesh noticeably "pops" into a different shape).
Choices... choices... and after having done this mesh edit I'm just wondering WHY EA?? Why not give us MORE MUSCLE SIZE!!!??

Sockpuppet
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 2:05 AM
i once made a bodybuilder slider, try it out here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...25#startcomment

also took a few settings of it.:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...ewpost&t=394522
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 6:51 AM
That's really cool! Doing that with bone based sliders is super smart, as this bypasses the whole mesh editing problem (for clothes). Makes me feel like my experiment was a bit in vain. =D And it also solves the problem of the hardcoded muscle size limit for Sims. Are you planning on uploading those sliders to the Download section?
Great work!

Sockpuppet
#6 Old 2nd Nov 2010 at 11:48 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 2nd Nov 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Wasn't completly satisfied with it and after hours of editing i gave up...i am not creating for sims 3 at the moment but i should finish it one day.

the problem is his chest, cant give the pecks(?) shape.
Did make a some meshes and gave the chest breast assignements so i could give him pecks with Delphy's Unisex breastslider but it still isn't perfect(i rather avoid updating existing meshes as it is so much work)
Test Subject
#7 Old 13th Nov 2010 at 8:54 PM
Actually Nukael I quite like your shape it looks more like a slimmer athletic configuration rather then body builder, You did a wonderful job with you experiment, keep it up and can't wait to see how you decide to finish it and then release it >
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Nov 2010 at 1:16 PM
I like your version better, the game version looks like it was just the opacity of the muscle that was adjusted, I cannot even see them in sideview. I hope you could iron a few more kinks and cant wait to see how you finish and release it!
Test Subject
#9 Old 6th May 2011 at 7:11 PM
when did it happen??
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 7th May 2011 at 11:50 AM
Sometimes, the impulse to add a "WTF?" love button is just overwhelming.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.