Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 7:46 AM
Default QMesh installation problems
I haven't done anything with Sims in ages, and just got gifted a ton of Sims3 (my friend hated the game, so I ended up with everything that has come out so far. I don't ask questions sometimes.), but I don't like the clothes. So I decided to go for new clothes the old fashioned way: make them myself! (I've been playing with Blender on a slightly more scary level for a while, but I don't know my way around very well)

Well, because all of the tutorials use Milkshape, I decided to use the free trial and see if it worked for me (if I liked it I would purchase it). Except I cannot get the Sims3 QMesh to install. I've put the files in the proper directory, I have Virtual Runtime installed, I have everything that is supposedly needed for it to work... but it's just not going.

Does anyone know anything that might be causing the problem? I can't import the meshes I've saved via CUTool (or whatever it was called), and it's driving me nuts. At the moment I just want to do a little with shirts, adjust the mesh a little, recolor, and then check to make sure it doesn't crash the game. Then I plan on adding the kimonos I want, and the kimono tops, and then I'll go crazy from there.

But there's just that one tiny piece of code that's stopping me. Any help would be appreciated. Although, at this point, I might try suffering through the pains of Blender (a great program, but you nearly need to go through a blender to work with it!) to do this, and I really just am not looking forward to that.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 12:11 PM
Well, may I ask what exactly isn't working? Do the QMesh options not appear on the import/export menus? Do they appear but are greyed out, or can be used but don't actually work? Are there any error messages?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Well, may I ask what exactly isn't working? Do the QMesh options not appear on the import/export menus? Do they appear but are greyed out, or can be used but don't actually work? Are there any error messages?

The options are not in the import/export menus, but there are no error messages either. They're just not there at all.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 4:32 PM
Can you post the path of the folder where you put the Q-mesh plugins? Maybe post a screenshot of them listed in there? Do you possibly have more than one version of Milkshape installed? Sorry, but if the correct plugins are in the correct folder they should work so I'm grasping at straws.

I don't think the Milkshape free trial puts limits on the plugins but I'm not sure - maybe someone else can confirm.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 9:57 PM
Only one copy of Milkshape is installed.

C:\Program Files (x86)\MilkShape 3D 1.8.5\

Exactly where I put them. I can't put up a screen shot because I'm not in front of my main computer right now, but I checked at least a dozen times last night, and they're exactly where they're supposed to be.
Inventor
#6 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 11:14 PM
Did you unpack the files? Are they in the milkshape folder without a subfolder.
Did you install the Runtime 2008 version for 64 bit?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 12:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
Did you unpack the files? Are they in the milkshape folder without a subfolder.
Did you install the Runtime 2008 version for 64 bit?

Yes to everything. I even checked to make sure I had the everything up to date as well, and everything checks out.
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 3:45 AM
Registred version of MS?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Registred version of MS?

A registered version of Win7? Yes. Of Milkshape? No, I'm currently using the trial version. I want to see if I like it before I purchase it. Does the Sims3 GEOM not work with the trial version?
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 4:03 AM
It is possible but i am not sure....I know from the past that most of the import/export functions will not work on a unregistred version of MS.
However, all the plugins do show in the export or import menu so note sure if this is the cause with the GEOM importer not showing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Aug 2011 at 9:31 AM
Hmm. If that's the case, then I'd probably be better off just using Blender anyway. There's no point in buying software that disables what I wanted to test in the trial version. If I had liked it I would have bought it, but I won't buy it unless I know I like it.