Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 6:04 PM
Default Non-Default Skintones and the Late Night Patch
I've made a lot of non-default skintones using Cmar's Skinator

However these are incompatible with the muscle definition slider. The other sliders work.

The UI Mod by Rez Delnava conflicts with the new sliders, but you can scroll through them with the mouse wheel.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? The original thread discussing non-default skintones has not had a reply in more than three months, so I thought I should start a new topic.

I don't quite know where to begin. I really miss my non-default skintones.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 11th Nov 2010 at 11:26 PM
I've heard that the muscle slider doesn't seem to work in CAS with non-default skins, but it does work in-game. I haven't tested this, so I'm not sure if it's true or not.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 12:29 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 12th Nov 2010 at 1:58 AM.
Huh. I just gave it a try with baffling results. Took a sim using a game (default replacement) skin into CAS, changed him to a custom skin, and the muscle slider worked fine. When I went back into the game, his muscle definition was gone. Took him back to CAS and the muscle slider didn't work at all. Switched him back to a game skin tone, went back to the game, and the muscles appeared again. I'll have to look into this.

Edit: I see what the problem is. There's a new version of the skintone files which has added links to the muscle and cleavage overlays. I'm going to have to modify Skininator to use the new format while still being compatible with the old one so existing skin packages can be easily converted. *sigh* On the bright side, this means we almost certainly can do custom muscle and cleavage overlays.

I'll start now; should have a new version of Skininator in a couple of days.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Nov 2010 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Huh. I just gave it a try with baffling results. Took a sim using a game (default replacement) skin into CAS, changed him to a custom skin, and the muscle slider worked fine. When I went back into the game, his muscle definition was gone. Took him back to CAS and the muscle slider didn't work at all. Switched him back to a game skin tone, went back to the game, and the muscles appeared again. I'll have to look into this.

Edit: I see what the problem is. There's a new version of the skintone files which has added links to the muscle and cleavage overlays. I'm going to have to modify Skininator to use the new format while still being compatible with the old one so existing skin packages can be easily converted. *sigh* On the bright side, this means we almost certainly can do custom muscle and cleavage overlays.

I'll start now; should have a new version of Skininator in a couple of days.

It was confusing, sometimes it would work, sometimes not.

I'm thrilled you're working on a new skinator. I don't mind if I have to redo all of them actually.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 12:33 AM Last edited by CmarNYC : 20th Nov 2010 at 7:15 PM.
Here's a beta of Skininator updated to support the new tone file format. I haven't done much testing but I was able to make a new skin package that works in-game and to convert a TONE file.

You'll see radio buttons for version 4 vs version 6 of the skin package. 4 is pre-Late Night patch, 6 is compatible with the new muscle slider. There's three ways to convert an existing custom skin:

If you still have your project file you can read it in, click the button to change to version 6, and make a new package.

You can extract the TONE file and open it in Skininator's Edit TONE function. Click to select version 6, save, and import back into your package.

You should also be able to use the Extractinator function to extract the skin files from a package and load your settings, then save as a new package. I haven't tested this, though.

I noticed a weird intermittent delay in the program starting, so I'd appreciate if a few people would post any quirks like that and what operating system they're using. (I'm using Win 7 64-bit.) Also of course post any bugs or problems.

** Update **

The official new version of Skininator is now posted in the Skininator download thread: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?p=3040594

There's also some instructions on how to update existing skin packages in the Overview.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 2:43 AM Last edited by jmtmom : 14th Nov 2010 at 5:20 AM.
Woot! I can hardly wait to get started on more non-defaults! I'll let you know how it goes.

ETA: First trial worked great! It was unbelievably easy. You are the best Cmar!

All my skins have been converted now. Thanks so much for such an easy tool.
Test Subject
#7 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 11:04 AM
I to tried it and it worked great. thank you for the great work, and so far I have seen no glitches.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 4:40 PM
Just a quick note, the extractinator worked for all my skins, but as I was working on other non-defaults, I had trouble. Often, it didn't work. That's not a problem really as it's still easy to enter all the textures.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom
Just a quick note, the extractinator worked for all my skins, but as I was working on other non-defaults, I had trouble. Often, it didn't work. That's not a problem really as it's still easy to enter all the textures.

Could you link me a couple of the non-defaults it didn't work for? I'd like to see if I can find what the problem is. Thanks!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 6:48 PM
Just thought I'd report that I've tried the new SkinInator and it seems to work fine. I had made my own skin blends, one default and four non-defaults. The default of course still worked fine after installing LN, but not the non-defaults. Using the ExtractInator on the four non-defaults, and repackaging them, took maybe 10 minutes, and so far so good -- the muscle slider now works, and the results remain after the Sim changes clothes. I have only tested the skins on male Sims so far, so I'll try testing female skins next.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 7:44 PM
Lady Frontbum's Asian faces: http://www.ladyfrontbum.com/?cat=315

Lady Frontbum's Burnt Flesh: http://www.ladyfrontbum.com/?p=2217

MissSkitty/Papercat Freckles: http://community.livejournal.com/missskittycc/6132.html

My version of MissSkitty/Papercat Freckles (not released): http://www.4shared.com/dir/8fdmEJ-2/sharing.html
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 5:29 AM
I've tested it... created a sim in CAS change their clothes,gender,age... and it works just fine as in game too!

OMG.... LOVE YA!...
Oh... I'm using Win7 (32 bit) but I didn't have that problem.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#13 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 1:13 PM
Thanks, everyone.

jmtmom, I'm glad you pointed out the problem with Extractinator. There's a logical flaw that makes it poop out on any package with more than two custom tone ramps, and I also see it's got a practical flaw where it makes separate dds files for links to the same image, like when you use the same image for all the scalps. I've got the first one fixed and am working on the second before I do an official release.
Test Subject
#14 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 6:16 PM
Are you working on a new Version of the UI MOD? That would be great
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 6:24 PM
I suggest you ask the creator of the UI mod, icefall.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Nov 2010 at 4:15 AM
Anach has updated the UI mod here: http://www.mediafire.com/?vz4396hk579kj24

When you unzip it, there are a bunch of packages, the one for the skintones is: Anach_CASSkins6x4_1.17
Instructor
#17 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 3:18 AM
jmtmom, is there any further description of the updated UI mod? As in, does it say the mod somehow makes the muscle definition work with non-default skins and so on?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#18 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dutch_1991
jmtmom, is there any further description of the updated UI mod? As in, does it say the mod somehow makes the muscle definition work with non-default skins and so on?

The UI mod only affects the display of skin buttons in CAS and makes it easier to pick the skin you want. It's got nothing to do with the skin format/muscle definition incompatibility.
Instructor
#19 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 1:40 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks a lot. So the only way is to convert using your Skininator.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#20 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dutch_1991
Ah, I see. Thanks a lot. So the only way is to convert using your Skininator.

Unless you're into hex-editing a table of 77 skin file links! :D
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#21 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 5:10 PM
Well, I have a case report to do - so sign me up! :D

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 3:10 AM
Like Cmar said, the mod I linked only lets you see more of your non-default skintones at a time. You need to run non-default skintones through Cmar's new tool to update them. I did all of mine at GOS, not a lot of creators have done so yet.
Test Subject
#23 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 11:21 AM
thanks i was having the same problem. But i have another problem how comes none of my default skins work? and default eye replacements as well? help? oh and i use ND skin with defualt skin together do they conflict?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#24 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 11:33 AM
atzsims - Default skins and eyes should still be working fine. Make sure to delete your cache files, including the ones in WorldCaches (unless you're on a Mac). Non-defaults and defaults don't conflict. If you still have problems, try the Help section.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 6th Dec 2010 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom
Anach has updated the UI mod here: http://www.mediafire.com/?vz4396hk579kj24

When you unzip it, there are a bunch of packages, the one for the skintones is: Anach_CASSkins6x4_1.17

I'm not entirely sure if I can request this to be reuploaded...?
Page 1 of 2